When to expect current-gen on refurb list?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uRabbit, Sep 18, 2011.

1. uRabbit macrumors member

I have been hesitating on making an order on a new iMac, as I want to buy refurb, because the discount is so much more than the education discount, and the product quality to dollar spent ratio is a lot more satisfying.

Right now, the only iMac I would purchase is the:
    Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 processor
    Originally released July 2010
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1GB memory
    Built-in iSight camera
    $1,569

However, the new i7 Sandy Bridge is more favourable to me. There are currently two refurb'd iMacs on the list that are current-gen, but the i7 is still over $1,800.

I assume that once the new Ivy Bridge CPU's come out, the Sandy's will be lowered again on the refurb list? Think we will see the 3.4 GHz dip below $1,600? If so, anyone have a good guesstimate of when that would happen? I would guess there is a trend to the refurb list, as with most other things Apple. So I was hoping someone knew the trend. :)

2. Akack macrumors 6502a

3. uRabbit thread starter macrumors member

I am referring to Apple's refurb site, unless the 3rd party returns come with an Apple 1 yr warranty and are eligible for AppelCare extended to 3 yrs.

refurb.me's prices are no better.
    MacMall does not have the current gen.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

dude read the link I give you

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-iMac/product~dpno~8811819~pdp.gididgg

this is a new repeat new machine for 1500. that means you get a one year warranty and you can buy apple care

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurb.me doesn't sell Macs. They notify you when Macs are available on the Apple Refurb store and link directly there so you can buy from Apple.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Since we really don't know when the ivy bridge models are coming out, it's hard to give an estimate with any sort of accuracy about the refurbs. Just expect it to be 4-6 weeks after the new models come out, although price drops may be sooner.

7. ataboc macrumors 6502

like your sig dude.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

I think you are not getting the picture of what the refurbMe website is. http://www.refurb.me/us/ is a website that does NOT sell Macs but lets you see what is or is not avail on Apple's refurbished site. You can create a notification that lets you know when a refurbished item you want is avail at Apple.com.

I only brought up MacMall since you said you might be interested in the refurbished 2010 27" i7 and I was only pointing out that MacMall has that particular model BRAND NEW for less than Apple's refurb price.

9. uRabbit, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

uRabbit thread starter macrumors member

My apologies. I have been fighting a head cold lately, so it must have clouded my perception.

I guess I did not realize exactly what refurb.me was because I am on the mobile version.

Looks like MacMall is cheaper on that 2010 iMac. I should keep an eye on MacMall to see when they get the current-gen lower than Apple's best price. Are MacMall's refurbs eligible for AppleCare and come w/ 1 yr?
    Edit: Looks like MM does not do refurbs. Thought for sure they did.

Thanks guys.

Sorry again.