Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It has been more than three years since Apple released the AirPods Max, leading some to wonder when the over-ear headphones will be updated.

Airpods-Max-Feature-Blue.jpg

Below, we outline when to expect new AirPods Max, and rumored features.

Timing

In an October 2023 edition of his newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said Apple planned to release new AirPods Max in "late 2024," so the headphones are likely around 7-10 months away from being updated based on that timeframe.

Apple announced the current AirPods Max in a press release on December 8, 2020, and the headphones launched a week later.

New Features

Apple is only planning minor changes for the AirPods Max, including a USB-C port instead of Lightning for charging and wired audio playback, according to Gurman. He also said the headphones will be available in new color options. The current color options include Green, Pink, Silver, Sky Blue, and Space Gray.

Gurman said the updated headphones will still be considered first-generation AirPods Max, signifying how minor the changes may be.

The updated AirPods Max will likely support Bluetooth 5.3, up from Bluetooth 5.0, for more reliable and power-efficient wireless audio connectivity.

Article Link: When to Expect New AirPods Max to Launch

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: japanime

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have always used over the ear headphones for travel, but damn the AirPod pros are solid. I don't think I'll ever go back to over the ear for travel. Not sure if others feel the same way? I felt it was relevant because I think that is a lot of the market for over the hear headphones.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I like mine but don't reach for them, they sit there, every now again I'll notice some 24 bit lossless in iTunes and plugin with the 3.5mm to lightning adapter, not hear any real difference at my age and then take them off 30 minutes later because it feels like they're squeezing my brain.

They're too big and have too much tension for big headed people like myself.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I love how MR presents speculative second-hand information as a matter of fact.

I love how users are repeatedly shocked and appalled that a site called MacRumors reports rumors. I mean, it's almost like "rumors" is in the name of the site. It's almost like they specify that information is rumored. What's next, alleged updates? The nerve! 🧐

But yeah, what an underwhelming update if true. Four years with nothing, and it's not even going to be a new generation? On one hand I find these rumors hard to believe, but I also wouldn't put it past Apple. Over-ear headphones are niche, and these can't bring in anywhere near the revenue that non-Max AirPods do.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Tell me where, exactly. Every sentence in the story is either attributed to Gurman, or qualified with a "likely" or "expected." Your feedback is baseless.
Actually I would start with your title.

When to Expect New AirPods Max to Launch

"When could New AirPods Max Launch?"

Your current title implies certainty.
As it is a rumour there is none.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have always used over the ear headphones for travel, but damn the AirPod pros are solid. I don't think I'll ever go back to over the ear for travel. Not sure if others feel the same way? I felt it was relevant because I think that is a lot of the market for over the hear headphones.

I still prefer to use over the ear for travel. For me, they are better at noise cancellation, also easier to keep track of, and signal to the flight attendants clearly that I may or may not hear them. I once fell asleep wearing AirPod Pros and the one popped out and ultimately went down the aisle a bit. Not fun. I DO switch out to the AirPod Pro when entering or exiting the plane, and I also wear the AirPod pro if I am traveling with someone. Just seems more friendly.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Honestly was expecting it sooner given the fact I just had to buy a replacement unit for mine. It wouldn’t charge and even if it did and had battery it would take like 5 attempts to have it connect to a device.

I use these daily so it was to the point where I had to rush order the replacement.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Honestly really like the brah thing and a case would just be annoying to me and at that point I’d rather carry it nude. The brah is very quick and convenient to deal with and I like that.

Ditto, it is far smaller than full cases, and space is a premium in my backpack. The current case protects the cones and the rest is sturdy enough it doesn't need more. Those full cases are for less robust plastic headphones, but I still managed to break those somehow lol. My APM's are doing fine 3 years later.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
In the android side of things with the new Qualcom chip, expect Lossless to be the norm on higher end headphones.

That means Apple will need to match or better this. Currently only the APP2 usb-c have that capability with the APV. Watch this years lineup of iPhone and iPad to add that option. Competition is always good. Im pretty sure we will see something impressive come out of Bang & Olufsen or Bower & Wilkins

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2023
Being a devotee (and retired employee) of all things Apple Inc., I went to our local department store (ABT Appliances), which is an Apple Authorized reseller. After trying them on, I left their Apple Store, and checked out the competition, both Bose and Sony. I wound up with the Sony WH1000-XM4 headphones. They were much lighter, had WAY better ANC, easy to use app, had an audio jack and cable with additional airplane adapter, USB-C, and fold flat to fit in a small included case. The fact that they were selling for $249.95, well, that mattered too.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Had 'em, sold 'em. Heavy and many other quirks. I am having issues with even pricier Focal Bathys right now. Airpods Pro's are the ones to get. Easy to use, easy to store, great sq, amazing anc, amazing transparency, pound for pound the winner.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have been called an Apple Fanboy once or twice, and if that means I own a fair number of Apple products and enjoy their ecosystem, then guilty. But even I would be disappointed if this rumor of minor changes is true. However, I am not hitting the rant button yet. Would love to know how Gurman's success rate is calculated for it to be so high. My guess is it's not based on all the things he has said, but only on the last regarding a particular product. So expect him to change his tune the night before actual release. Even still, he has been caught by surprise a lot lately and I suspect Apple is getting more canny in playing the false information game. All my way of saying, I hope this is not an accurate rumor in terms of features. And I dont need new colors either.

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
APM needs a lot more than “minor changes.”

First it needs a diet.

Second it needs to look like an Apple product. Bose’s 700 NC headphones have more Apple-like design and construction than APM.

1707928291421.jpeg

Third it needs to catch up to the competition in terms of a real carrying case and included extras. Even Jabra did a better job of this.

1707928448472.jpeg

Last it needs to eliminate the issue of earcup moisture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.