When to get in line for release of 3g??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scharlston, Jun 12, 2008.

1. scharlston macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just wondering what is a good time to head to the apple store on july 11th to get in a good spot in line if they do "mirror" the last Iphone release? What does everyone think? Anyone counting down the days as well :)

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I'd start trekking there now, never hurts to be a little early. ;)

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I am gonna be out of the country until the 14th so I hope that I can get it that night without waiting on a long line. Last year I was in and out on launch night.

I would advise you get there VERYYYY early to avoid waiting for others to activate.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Why count the days yourself, when a widget can do it for you? ;)

Attached Files:

5. e.m. macrumors 6502

i would go few days later to avoid the chaos.

6. tbone7467 macrumors regular

best to see if 3g service is even availible in your area first. If it isnt your going to be paying more for essentially no reason.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm getting in line the morning of July 11th, but I'm not saving spots this time around! LOL I did that last year and got some great food for free. :D

8. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I don't think there will be a need to get in line hours before the its release. I actually walked right into the store 2 weeks after the release of the first iPhone and bought me an 8GB iPhone. Also, since it is not available online they might be shipping more to the stores this year.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

For the 10.5 launch, I showed up at 1530, and was number 11 in line. And there were even fewer people at the store for the iPhone launch. You don't need to show up at 4am to get a good seat in line.

10. ScottSFA macrumors member

Are they going to release them when AT&T/Apple stores open or at 6 pm?

11. mpd659 macrumors newbie

The Apple store in Orlando told me they would be on sale at 6pm on July 11th. They couldn't tell me when the ATT stores would be selling them, just all apple stores at the same time.

12. stiphone macrumors regular

I'm hoping someone would queue up and buy 1 for me as it's my actual birthday on the launch date. "Dreaming of my 3G iPhone"

13. w7ox macrumors member

I'm pretty happy with my current iPhone -- which will even better with the 2.0 software upgrade.

I will upgrade to the new one when it's easy (likely not on day one!). 3G is available in most places I go and I will use it on the web more (2G is fine for email). And real GPS is attractive, too.

Mostly it's just fun to have the latest :)

Phil

14. montecarloss919 macrumors member

what time will

what time will the att stores be open on july 11th? theres one right near my office in philly :)

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like mine as well, especially at the $250 price I got it.

I don't see the big deal in upgrading to 3G even though I'm in the area. I'm not that keen on the extra speed yet, especially for an extra $10/month. They should really start offering tiered speeds just like they do for DSL. Of course they'd probably start at $30 for EDGE, so maybe that's a moot point.

GPS is nice, but I have one in my car and the Maps app is pretty good for other uses. EDGE is definitely fine for e-mail. It doesn't download large attachments, which I don't need it to with only 8GB.

I'm waiting for at *least* 32GB before I get a 3G phone. My music library takes up about 16GB, so that would leave half the storage for video and apps.

16. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

RIGHT NOW. you ahve ten minuted to get there or there isnt a chance you get one :)

17. radiogod69 macrumors member

Not only that, because it has been announced a month before launch that may mean they could also ramp up production. No need for me to goto an Apple store, I have an AT&T store 3 miles from my home bwahahahaha.

18. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm gunna head over to my Apple Store (The Galleria Mall Fort Lauderdale) right around the time they go on sale and see what the line is like. =)

19. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

You should get in line RIGHT NOW! In fact you should fly to Auckland and get in line so that you can be the very first to get the new phone!

20. birdmangriffin macrumors newbie

I'd be impressed with the dedication.

21. jimmyroot macrumors newbie

jimmyroot

Well...

...I'm posting from the front of the queue, London Regent St. from my nearly obsolete EDGE iPhone ;) !

22. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

im sure if its the same in the states but in the uk there were a few diehards at the apple stores, but at o2 and carphone warehouse i believe they each sold about 5 iphones on launch.

if i have a day off i may go down to the trafford centre just to get the atmostphere of the apple store.

I believe there will be no problem whatsoever int he UK getting hold of one, and i assume in the ststes that its alot easier at the AT&T store than apple?

23. wako macrumors 65816

WHAT?! you arent in line for the iPhone already? Dude im sitting infront of my Apple store along with the other 50 people RIGHT NOW!:eek:

24. jimmyroot macrumors newbie

jimmyroot

Early bird gets the worm!

Yep there's quite a crowd. I've got supplies coming including a months worth of grub, portable generator for laptops etc. You know how it is, the early bird gets the worm!

Seriously though, I'd think the stores will be well, well stocked prior to launch. On the UK iPhone launch day last year I arrived at Regent St. about 6 hours before launch, and was probably within the first 200 people to get in, and the queue behind was absolutely huge. I'm pretty sure they didn't sell out that night, although I couldn't confirm.

Maybe there will be alot more demand when the phone comes out due to the new features, lower price etc but I know quite a few people who didn't get there until a couple of hours prior to launch and still had no trouble getting one.

25. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I was just going to turn up to my local O2 store for opening time. And was hoping to get one straight away. Naive? Optimistic? I don't know. But I figured there will be a few O2 stores and Carphonewarhouse stores close to me, so just move on if it doesn't work first time. Fingers crossed.