When to put to sleep and when to shut down?

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Someone please explain me in detail when it's best to put a MBP to sleep and when to shut it down.

Personally, I shut down every night and boot it the next morning.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
It's all personal choice... It's the same as any other laptop. If you don't want instant boot up but want to save battery turn it off, if you want instant bootup and want the battery to still be in use use sleep.

There is nothing special you have to do just because it's an apple laptop.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I recall reading that if I don't use the MBP for up to 2 days, then it's best to shut it down.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Is there a limit to the amount of time a MBP can be in sleep mode? (like before the battery gets completely drained)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there a limit to the amount of time a MBP can be in sleep mode? (like before the battery gets completely drained)
You can leave it plugged in while sleeping. If you're on battery, you'll use somewhere around 1% of battery for every hour in sleep mode. YMMV.

Apple Portables: Battery terminology and key concepts
Sleep drain: You may notice the battery in your Apple portable may drain up to 1% per hour (24% per day) while the computer is in sleep mode. This is normal behavior.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Reading a few posts into this link you provided, they mention that shutting down, can in the long run, wear out the hard drive a bit more than just letting it sleep. Any thoughts?
The hard drive is not affected differently between sleep or shut down. In both cases, the hard drive is not spinning.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Technically there'd be less wear on the drive after sleeping since it won't have to reload the OS. However, the difference would be negligible.

I always use sleep. The only times I've shut down are when taking the computer on a plane or changing hardware.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I hardly ever reboot. Maybe once every 10 days or so.

Only time I shut it down is when I fly, or travel long distances in my car.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
In the 3.5 years I've had my current MacBook I have actually never turned it off, for more than a few minutes at least.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
I usually shut down or reboot my Win7 machines daily or weekly as a MacOS newbie I am finding it interesting that the Mac seemingly isn`t bothered by long periods of no rebooting as this always seems to cause me problems/instability after a while in Windows.

I guess I`m also a little paranoid that my system and data are somehow more "vulnerable" when the machine is asleep instead of completely shutdown.

RonShort

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I hardly ever shut mine down... Usually just a reboot when installing updates.

For me thought my mbp rarely goes unused for more than a few hours. The longest is usually while I sleep..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.