When was the eBay page last updated?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alexrat1996, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I'm doing a paper on Ebay and i need to know When was the website last updated? If it was not updated recently does this mean it is not credible?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    i have to use ebay page only

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The word 'please' is always nice to read when someone is soliciting, or seeking, help online, especially for a paper.

Who is the paper for? When is the deadline? How many credits is it worth? (In other words, how serious is it?)

Why have you not googled eBay and read a little about the history of the company?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

What does the time of update of the site (as in a new code being released essentially) have to do with credibility of something? :confused:

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

A whole lot of nothing.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That being eBay, and being a site where it conducts business (a lot of business!), and supports users that are added to the site each day, you would have to come up with a reason why you think it is not updated frequently.
    Notice that there are links on each page to provide feedback to "make this page better for you"
    There's links on the main page to offer merchandise related to Prince, part of a tribute to that artist who just passed away today. That's an example of how current the site stays. It must do that as a part of how the eBay business operates.
    Does that help you decide that the eBay site is frequently updated, perhaps several times an hour?
    A web site whose main claim to fame is online merchandise auctions, with an incredible range of products for sale, would also take pains to make sure that auction results are posted real-time. The nature of those type of sales would demand that the site keep updated. Without those updates, its business would be a quick fail, I think.

I think you would need to decide what is meant by "updating the site"
    Does that mean modifying user sales pages - or updating the appearance of the main site - or updating internal parts of the site that assist with searches and bidding - or updating seller areas on the site for easier use, or more security, or changing the methods for purchasing products, etc.
    If you could have some more specific questions, instead of your generic ones, then answers may come more easily, too.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

OP, can you rephrase your questions so that we can....understand precisely your problem? Maybe you could give some extra information.

7. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

the answer to my question has been resolved but now but does it mean What data does it use? for ebay website can you explain to me My thinking is this The data that it use comprise of images of products, passwords, prices, category type, captcha(Security reason) etc.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    my question is when was the whole page updated
    is the website credible

If it was not updated recently does this mean it is not credible?

what your explanation is the website is not credible and i should explain why is not

that's how it worded on the assignment the question

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, there is quite a bit of what you ask where the answer would often be a lot of opinion.
    You would have to decide that if a site that has not been updated for several years, that makes it less credible, simply because it has not been updated. I think of relatively old sites, such as those that might list old MIDI files for download. There would not be a lot of updating needed, as the collection of files doesn't change very much, and the method used for downloading wouldn't change significantly, perhaps for several years. I have seen old collector's sites, giving a source, sometimes the ONLY source, for old light fixtures, or circuit diagrams for old hobby electronic projects, etc.
    The fact that a site like that is not updated very often, does not necessarily affect the credibility of a site.

Maybe you have a web design company local to you, where you could ask a few questions. That kind of company should evaluate the effectiveness of a web site, and can offer suggestions about how a site can be improved (with credibility as one criterion for that evaluation). Ask a couple of questions there, and that may jog your ideas about how to do your assignment.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

What does "credible" mean in this context? How does it relate to the time of updates?

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You're being hopelessly vage, sorry buddy.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Data should focus on what a product listing consists of, and the feedback system (and what information that includes). You could also talk about how search on eBay works, and how changing selections gives you different results. Security stuff should prove the credibility, but I'd focus on agreements and certificates and not passwords/captchas.

Just a protip: When you're wanting to find something on a particular website, on Google you can just do site:domain.com and it'll only show results from that domain and whatever subdomains.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And neither a 'please' when the question was asked, nor an expression of gratitude - such as a brief 'thank you' - when JessicaLares took the time and trouble to respond with an answer.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ehh, they acknowledged my answer with a "like". To us millennials that's the same thing as a thank you/appreciation of helpfulness... :rolleyes: <-- Note the rolling eyes

They haven't seen the posts after the last time they posted yet, so we'll see what happens. The assignment would have worked better with an independent shop I think (The Moment Lens website comes to mind, which we were discussing in another thread only recently because the OP didn't know if whether he could trust them or not). You already know all the answers for a highly established marketplace like eBay and all you're doing is the research to prove it.

14. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I have a couple of question for my paper can you please help me explain to me I posted questions bellow

1. What are some of its design specifications? for example eBay and amazon
      1. Does the Web site link to any internal systems or systems of other organizations?
      1. What data does it use?

15. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

What are your questions regarding? This website?

16. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

yes i need help from you guys explain the questions not giving me the answer

17. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

18. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Back in the day... when I was in school (be it HS, college, grad school), when given an assignment you were expected to do the work yourself, not expect others to answer the questions for you and write up the results. But that was a while back... I guess things have changed.

OP, if you write your paper the same way you post... good luck :)

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Typically, the best person to answer questions about the meaning of a prompt would be the teacher who assigned it to you.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Again, I refer to the fact that the word 'please' is strikingly lacking in the demeaning, entitled the taken by these posts, as is any expression of gratitude to the person (JessicaLares) who thanked you.

Yes, OP, the other thing that struck me was the poor syntax, spelling and grammar in the OP's posts.

And, @MacDawg makes a salient point: Why do you not do you own work, instead of demanding that others assist you?

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Mind you he or she is 20 if their DOB is in their username. Kids these days. Absolutely no manners. Maybe school isn't their thing judging by the OP's vacant manners and lack of comprehension.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Possibly. But a lack of manners allied to a singular lack of persuasive argument expressed in a demanding entitled tone does not serve to make one wish to offer any sort of assistance.

24. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I'm in college community one and I did ask my professor via email he told me it's self explanatory

He only explained two questions
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2016 ---
    Not asking for the answers to the questions only to explain the question