When will Apple add 3G to their Laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xlii, Mar 13, 2010.

1. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

When will Apple add 3G to their Laptops? With the iPad getting it, it just seems like a very useful feature to me. It could use the same unlimited plan as the iPad for $30. Go anywhere computing. For those of use that live out in the country the only wifi we have access to is in our own homes. Maybe this is why the MBP line hasn't been updated yet. Does anyone agree?

2. xlii thread starter macrumors 68000

xlii

It would be nice for Apple to offer it as an option. Do other carriers match that 30 dollar unlimited plan? Seems like a good deal to me.

3. xlii thread starter macrumors 68000

xlii

4. entity macrumors regular

We should call up Jobs and ask if he would mind an extra chip inside his MBP's :D.

5. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

They did it is called tethering from your iPhone. But AT&T hasn't activated that yet :(

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

Maybe. But the fact that 3G wireless solutions for laptops already exist, the market is evaluate-able, and we haven't seen it yet (except for one or two netbooks) means that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either built-in 3G, or iPad pricing.

7. smoked macrumors regular

Actually a few years ago when I was forced to work on PC laptops, the Dells we had came with built-in 3G chips. Maybe they just aren't that popular to be tied into a laptop due to the typically short lifespan of laptops, and people prefer either a card that can be transferred or the new MiFi's (or phone tethers) that can more easily shared among multiple devices...

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I use 3G with my MBP via Sprint usb modem. I much prefer this because I can move my modem to any of my other computers and use it or plug it into a 3g router and share the connection. I don't like the idea of having to pay a subscription for each of my devices.

9. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

It's not a bad idea, providing you could use it for other carriers, too.

10. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

iPad's unlimited plan has a 5gb cap anyway, so its essentially the same thing.

However, at $30 it is a steal.

11. Comma macrumors member

You can't really torrent or do big downloads on an iPad, so unlimited isn't really much...

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

LOL. 5 gig cap on the "unlimited" plan? Please explain.

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I would rather see them force ATT to enable tethering on the iPhone. Problem solved.

I still tether anyways, but I would rather do it legitimately.

14. Hmac macrumors 68020

Problem solved only for iPad owners who don't have an iPhone. I suspect that's the majority.

15. 504A! macrumors member

504A!

mine is:D;):cool:

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

They haven't even added an expresscard slot so you can add 3G to them yourselves. I don't think it'll be until 2020 or so that they'll get the idea that a lot of people want a $1200 machine to have basic wireless & expansion functionality.

Then again, 90% of the purchasers just want to web browse and use iTunes, so I sincerely doubt this will ever even effect their bottom line.

17. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

My windows mobile phone(s) for the past several years have been able to tether to my macbook pro and ipod touch with zero issues via wifi or bluetooth :D

If you have a windows mobile phone, check out WMWifiRouter.

AT&T's 50$ plan that gives unlimited internet and unlimited SMS/MMS is an AWESOME deal if you tether, text and send MMS alot. So in case you don't have an Iphone, a 3G chip built in would be useless. I'd MUCH rather see Apple put AWESOME dedicated graphics chips in their laptops to compliment the power saving integrated card..

18. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I doubt they will do it anytime soon, especially since the ipad release. Apple doesn't make devices that replace functionality of it's other devices. So Apple's philosophy on the subject would likely be: "If you want a mobile internet browsing device with 3g, get an iPhone- If you rather have a bigger screen and don't need phone features, then buy an iPad."

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I haven't seen references to a 5 GB cap.

20. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Hope you haven't been living under a rock. In the US, all unlimited 3G data are capped at 5GB, check the fine print.

21. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Holy crap. That's about as half as good as my previous HOME broadband package, here in the UK. My cap was 13GB, but they got very annoyed after 10GB a month and slowed me down. Thankfully, they've now switched and gone straight to proper actual unlimited data usage, but that hasn't come without its downsides. I have to put up with traffic shaping, which effectively means I can't torrent during the day.

22. buddy1065 macrumors member

$30 per month UM-limited 3G in a MBA would be totally awesome even with a 5GB cap. If I did not have an iPhone that tethers wirelessly I would go for it. $50-$60 PER MONTH is not cool.

But since I do have an iPhone that tethers wirelessly I would get a next version MBA if Apple finally gets around to it before the Sony Z arrives. Either way it's all good...:D

23. Hmac macrumors 68020

Not sure if they actually do implement that cap, or just reserve the right to do so.

24. jkreileder macrumors newbie

An integrated 3G modem would be nicer. External modems are just one more thing you have to carry with you. They also tend to stick out of a USB or whatever port which isn't always practical. (Actually, you can't use most 3G USB sticks on a MBA without an extension cable.)

Tethering via an iPhone is only a subpar solution too:
    • Via bluetooth drains the iPhone's battery. Also bandwidth is severely limited by Bluetooth.
    • Via USB is even more clumsy than a USB stick. And bandwitdh is still limited by the iPhone's modem (especially upstream)