Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
This issue is probably not new, but seriously Apple, just stick to one black colour. I was expecting the whatever new devices to come in the new "matte black" colour, many love when it was released alongside iPhone 7 and Plus.

The new 10.5" iPad Pro comes in Space Grey and not Black, the new HomePod comes in Space Grey and not Black.

Is it so difficult to stick to Space Grey like how they did for the Silver, Gold and Rose Gold? Are they already discontinuing the black colour used in iPhone 7 and Plus?o_O

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This issue is probably not new, but seriously Apple, just stick to one black colour. I was expecting the whatever new devices to come in the new "matte black" colour, many love when it was released alongside iPhone 7 and Plus.

The new 10.5" iPad Pro comes in Space Grey and not Black, the new HomePod comes in Space Grey and not Black.

Is it so difficult to stick to Space Grey like how they did for the Silver, Gold and Rose Gold? Are they already discontinuing the black colour used in iPhone 7 and Plus?o_O
You could also ask why is apple sticking with chamferred edges on the iPad..

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My most favorite colored phone was an all black iPhone 4s. That was a sharp looking phone imo. Sure, the metal edges were silver but looking that thing face on ... it was pretty. I don't mind space grey, but with all the weird stuff coming with glossy jet black phones - I don't think I'll ever use those. I put a case on my phone anyway so what the heck.

I tried a white iPhone (yep, I did it) for the first time and ... I swear it's easier to read text with the white bezels so I might stick with it. Sitting in my black case, it isn't that bad.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
They will continue to offer the matte and jet black only on the phones.

The end.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My most favorite colored phone was an all black iPhone 4s. That was a sharp looking phone imo. Sure, the metal edges were silver but looking that thing face on ... it was pretty. I don't mind space grey, but with all the weird stuff coming with glossy jet black phones - I don't think I'll ever use those. I put a case on my phone anyway so what the heck.

I tried a white iPhone (yep, I did it) for the first time and ... I swear it's easier to read text with the white bezels so I might stick with it. Sitting in my black case, it isn't that bad.
Sorry BigMc. I normally agree with you (a lot) but the 4s was one of the models I didn't particularly care for and that stainless steel band and glass back just totally ruined the effect for me.

A lot of people took advantage of Apple's free bumper too and depending on their taste it either made the phone passable to look at or hideous (neon orange bumpers anyone).
[doublepost=1496762310][/doublepost]
are they not supposed to be allowed to do both?
I don't understand the angle here.
Well, if you understand that Space Gray is only a color choice because of the Scuffgate issues with the Black/Slate iPhone 5 then that's where the confusion can come in.

Space Gray is the result of less anodization time while black is the result of greater andozation time. Space Gray hides scuffs better, so that's why it became the color of Apple's choice when they launched the 5s.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Sorry BigMc. I normally agree with you (a lot) but the 4s was one of the models I didn't particularly care for and that stainless steel band and glass back just totally ruined the effect for me.

A lot of people took advantage of Apple's free bumper too and depending on their taste it either made the phone passable to look at or hideous (neon orange bumpers anyone)..

No problem at all - people with different preferences make this world a far more interesting place. I used my 4s and my 5 nekkid - I was 100% against cases back then. Haha :) Yes, the 4s with a bumper or case looked absolutely hideous....

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
are they not supposed to be allowed to do both?
I don't understand the angle here.

Well yeah, but one who seeks to pair up their Black iPhone 7 with the new Space Grey iPad Pro 10.5" will be impossible? Or the Space Grey MacBook, or any Space Grey devices for that matter.

Lets not start on the obvious difference in the colour for the Space Grey MacBook and the Space Grey iPhone 6/s. It is kinda obvious that it is more like a Dark Space Grey MacBook and a Light Space Grey iPhone 6/s

They can do it for Silver, Gold and Rose Gold(Silver has been consistent in terms of colour throughout every single apple devices) but WHY NOT Space Grey or Black or Slate. I cannot even describe a singular black colour apple has been using since iPhone 5.

For e.g. I own a Space Grey MacBook, Space Grey iPad Pro, Black iPhone 7, I have to tell people,"Oh, I own a darker shade of space grey macbook, a lighter shade of space grey for the iPad Pro and a completely black iPhone 7." as compared to a person who owns a Silver iPad Pro, Silver MacBook, Silver iPhone 7, and they tell people,"Yeah I own a Silver MacBook, iPad and iPhone." I always thought Apple was into simplicity:rolleyes:

Honestly, the colour Space Grey, Black and Slate feels like orphans as they pop out of no where and don't belong to any family at the end of the day.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Well yeah, but one who seeks to pair up their Black iPhone 7 with the new Space Grey iPad Pro 10.5" will be impossible? Or the Space Grey MacBook, or any Space Grey devices for that matter.

Lets not start on the obvious difference in the colour for the Space Grey MacBook and the Space Grey iPhone 6/s. It is kinda obvious that it is more like a Dark Space Grey MacBook and a Light Space Grey iPhone 6/s

They can do it for Silver, Gold and Rose Gold(Silver has been consistent in terms of colour throughout every single apple devices) but WHY NOT Space Grey or Black or Slate. I cannot even describe a singular black colour apple has been using since iPhone 5.

For e.g. I own a Space Grey MacBook, Space Grey iPad Pro, Black iPhone 7, I have to tell people,"Oh, I own a darker shade of space grey macbook, a lighter shade of space grey for the iPad Pro and a completely black iPhone 7." as compared to a person who owns a Silver iPad Pro, Silver MacBook, Silver iPhone 7, and they tell people,"Yeah I own a Silver MacBook, iPad and iPhone." I always thought Apple was into simplicity:rolleyes:

Honestly, the colour Space Grey, Black and Slate feels like orphans as they pop out of no where and don't belong to any family at the end of the day.
After getting the Black matte 7 Plus I like it so much more than the Space gray.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Space Gray is the most boring and uninspired color Apple has made. I wish they'd move everything to the blacks on the current iPhones.

It costs more to make the matte black.

It may be only pennies more, but still...Cook is watching every cent.

Reactions: eyoungren

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

My only response would be.
You're wanting Apple to do something they don't do. Then letting that affect you.
They can definitely color match every product they make to each other. But they aren't going to though.
It is placing your value on something onto someone else, in this case a business. You feel color across the board for certain products should match, its important for you but it is not important for them. Then being upset that they don't share the same values on it.

That company can only do what they do.

If you've ever been in a relationship whether it's friendship, love interest, just an aquaintance. As soon as you start expecting that person, wheover they are, to do what you want other than just excepting what they do, that relationship breaks down real quick.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
My only response would be.
You're wanting Apple to do something they don't do. Then letting that affect you.
They can definitely color match every product they make to each other. But they aren't going to though.
It is placing your value on something onto someone else, in this case a business. You feel color across the board for certain products should match, its important for you but it is not important for them. Then being upset that they don't share the same values on it.

That company can only do what they do.

If you've ever been in a relationship whether it's friendship, love interest, just an aquaintance. As soon as you start expecting that person, wheover they are, to do what you want other than just excepting what they do, that relationship breaks down real quick.

Interesting you think that way.

Anyhow, I still like Apple products, and I've been a fan since the release of the Black iPhone 4. Ever since they couldn't make up their mind on which black to use for their products, I've been sticking to their Silver colour across all my devices (No issues with scuff gate as compared to slate). It is just such a pity they couldn't paint everything the same black and it feels like most of the black/slate/space grey/darker space grey devices released by Apple is a prototype itself to test customer preference...

But what if he does like the product and just not the colour?

Haha :apple::p

Reactions: 5105973

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
First time jet black owner. Last time jet black iPhone owner. Shows way too much human grease. Doesn't wear well at all. Satin black all day.

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
They will continue to offer the matte and jet black only on the phones.

The end.

Not at all the end. If the case composition changes (e.g., to glass), the shade of black changes, and likely the finish, too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
First time jet black owner. Last time jet black iPhone owner. Shows way too much human grease. Doesn't wear well at all. Satin black all day.

When Jet black is clean and pristine, it looks spectacular. But when it's covered in fingerprints and what have you, it just does not wear well compared to the other aluminum colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.