When will Apple give in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maclver, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Maclver, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Just read a story that another iOS developer isn't developing for the iPhone anymore because of the new subscription model rules... When do you think Apple will give in and change its policy... How much bad press do they have to get?

I don't know I just think Apple should be careful

2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

3. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

No I did.. Im just talking about the "openness" of android... Granted I disagree with that, I feel Apple is doing just fine.. I just don't think 30% of subscriptions is worth pissing off some large developers.

4. Apple OC, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple iPhone users and Android users are 2 different customers ... similar to MBP owners and Windows users.

Most Apple Clients do not care about Android or Windows

5. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If that developer stops creating a certain type of app, someone else will.
    Apple has nothing to make them give in as of right now

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty tough to walk away from a market of 180 million iOS devices.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure there is, when more developers opt for google, then apple will change its tune. In their greedy arrogance they will tick off developers who get tired of apple inconsistently rejecting apps and taking too much of a cut of their revenue.

At some point people are going to say enough and move on.

A marathon starts with one step, and so people leaving apple because of their policies won't occur over night. I think we are already seeing some folks opting out, such as Rhapsody and Readability. Is this a trend, who knows its too early, but its not a good sign

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Though Apple has given in the past (google voice, blocking Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone Compiler), I feel like every time Apple changes something about the App Store everyone on the internet has to complain and predict the end of iOS and the iPhone (Lack of Flash, rejecting apps without any specific reason) yet Apple continues to sells millions and millions of iPhones and iOS devices, why, because the Average user doesn't care.

Why does everyone know about Antenna Gate? because in a rare occasion, that made it to mainstream news, but goes ask someone on the street if they care that Rhapsody is leaving the iPhone because Apple wants 30% from their revenue on a monthly basis, and I'm pretty sure that the answer is gong to be NO.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Personally I don't think Apple really cares about 90% of the many trivial apps out there

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Care to share a link or tell us which developer you are talking about?

12. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/21/tinygrab-declines-to-sell-subscriptions-through-the-app-store/

"QUOTE" "Now a service called TinyGrab has posted that it won't be developing for the App Store because of "Apple's new greedy model." The company says that it was looking forward to providing its premium subscription-based file sharing service through the iOS and Mac App Store platforms, but Apple's restrictions on sharing user data and accounts that expire after a certain time are untenable for their business.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Looks like a smart marketing person at Tiny Grab just grabbed a boatload of publicity with that statement. Yeah, I'm cynical like that.

Who the **** is Tiny Grab?

14. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

LOL.. well when you put it that way... lol...

But honestly how many people will do subscriptions.. It might be cool for a month but im sure will die off.. So i don't know why developers are making a big deal of it.. Cause won't they save money but letting Apple handle everything?

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I have always shied away from anything subscription based, with a few minor exceptions.
    Just something about paying them, monthly, for something I may not use every day or every week.
    TinyGrab? I've got it on my MBP. They want to turn that into a subscription model? Good luck. The product isn't good enough for me to give you my CC details. And I don't think I'd use it on the iPhone even if it was free.

Just my opinion. Not slamming them for their decision, just disagreeing with it.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt Apple will give in.
    Its all about money.
    Apple wants their cut, if the Dev's dont want to kick in they dont have to have an app in their appstore and can find other means of selling their content.

17. rquick macrumors regular

How many stores do you shop in where the store owner doesn't take a cut? What I find odd is that you are all looking at if as if the money comes from the developers. They can and will raise the retail price of the software or subscription and make the same rerturn as before. Apple isn't screwing the developers, Apple is charging a premium price for an exclusive service. Good or bad, it's your money they are taking, not the developer's. One upside is that it should make short work of the junk subscription services that no one is going to use anyway. Although at the end of the day, we are only talking about making a $5 a month subscription into a $7 a month subscription. No big deal, unless somebody can think of something that everyone has to have and sells 30 million of them.

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Hopefully Apple will wake and realize this was a nonsense policy. The issue really isn't the revenue Apple is trying to take - it's their store, they can take whatever they see fit (to an extent).

The real problem is that the rules are so vague that depending on one's interpretation, the IAP policy could apply to the vast majority of apps, many of whom are unable to actually meet Apple's requirements either by virtue of what they're selling, or because they are a third party app (think non-official Twitter clients).

If the developers don't have access to the subscription services - i.e. if you made a third-party Basecamp client, then your app would have to be rejected because you have no way to provide IAPs.

I read a fantastic article from a dev explaining some of the practical problems with the new subscription IAP policy. Have a read, it's well worth it:

http://www.marco.org/3437484678/

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They may not care about the trivial apps, but they better be caring about developers because without them, the iPhone won't be anything.

If Apple continues their greedy grab for money, developers will start looking for greener pastures. Like I said not all at once, but in dribs and drabs.

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This is a terrible analogy. The "retail store" is the App store, and it already takes its cut when a consumer buys the app. Apple's new policy on taking a cut of subscriptions would be like buying a television set from Walmart, and them saying they deserve a cut of the cable subscription because they sold you the TV. Or Apple demanding a cut of your home internet bill because they sold you a Mac.

The retailer (app store) is more than free to take a cut of products they actually sell. But taking a cut of content delivered through those apps? That's Apple trying to make money for doing absolutely nothing.

21. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Apple has no need to reverse their stand on charging for subscriptions.

The companies who leave.... they'll be back.

22. pricej636 macrumors 6502

They are providing a service by providing the app store and iTunes. Having a huge store that millions of customers have access to and can buy apps with ease is providing a huge service.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I tend to think Apple is more qualified to make decisions around what is best for their business model than members of an online fan forum. They have far more resources, information, insight and business acumen.

I find it amusing when a couple of users (the whole forum here is a drop in the bucket to Apple's overall user base) predict the imminent demise of Apple because Apple cannot see the business landscape that is so obvious to them.

According to these wise pundits
    App Store = fail because it is closed and the subscription rules
    iPhone = fail because no 4" screen, no lock screen, no widgets, no flash and tied to iTunes
    iPad = fail because screen resolution, no flash, no camera and tied to iTunes

Every new phone that is announced is better than the iPhone and Apple HAS to compete with specs and capabilities or they will be crushed
    Every new tablet that is announced is better than the iPad and Apple HAS to compete with specs and capabilities or they will be crushed

Methinks many do not understand Apple's business model and philosophy and they think theirs would work better. However, profits tell a different tale.

I for one, am glad that Apple doesn't follow the trends and demands spewed out MR and they opt instead to trust their own instincts and market research and their own business model.

24. elan123 macrumors 6502

we better hope so

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Overall I agree, but there might be other reasons for Apple to do so instead of just blaming greed. There's not many subscription apps to begin with.

Maybe somehow this gives Apple more control over disputes or cancelations of a subscription. Kind of like Apple can have some policing over situations. I surely know how frustrating it can be to try and cancel only to keep getting charged, to the point I'm forced to change my CC number.

Another reason might be is that this creates a loophole that makes it unfair to non subscription apps.

For example: Let's say a non subscription app called GPS-X charges a one time fee of $45 and Apple takes it's cut. Now you have a subscription app called GPS-Y that you can install for free or $0.99 but it's basically useless unless you pay a $10 monthly subscription fee that Apple doesn't touch. Who do you think gets the better deal?