When will Apple launch a COMPLETELY different phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 11, 2010.

1. cootersgarage6, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Do you think that apple will ever release a different kind of phone? Besides the Iphone? I think that they should make some other phones like ones with keyboards and stuff like that. So they would still sell the Iphone, and other lines of mobile phones since they are going to eventually have to have the Iphone on a different network. That would be cool, but is it likely?

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

It's about as likely as Google only having one Android phone.

Apple will never make a phone with more buttons than the current one has. If they could get rid of all of them, they would.

I highly doubt you'll see any phone other than the iPhone from Apple for a long, long time, if ever. The iPhone may look a lot different in a few years, but it will still be the iPhone. How long have we had the iPod and iMac?

3. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

you mean a phone with a separate battery? never going to happen. a phone with expandable memory? not going to happen. a phone thats not married to itunes? never going to happen.

a slider? nah, they dont believe you need an actual keyboard. jobs will let you know that he has made the perfect phone and changing it will be taking steps backwards. :D

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I want the same size device and hardware but there's room to make display larger by at least a 1/4 inch- 1/3 inch. I'm jealous with our smartphone counterparts only in display size. iOS is a much polished os.

5. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Personally I don't believe that either. :rolleyes:

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Unfortunately never. Palm is a fine example of an exceptional and superior OS made available on the same hardware year after year. If Web OS were available on different hardware and through different manufacturers, Palm probably wouldn't have fallen on hard times and be bought out by HP. The formula can only last for so long. Apple tried to play catch up with iPhone 4 this year and probably have way more catching up to do next year. The downward spiral begins.....

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

8. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a Palm webOS one. There's been some fantastic rumors for next year at CES.

Plus, Rubinstein has even said that Palm is still a very independent company within HP. He's said that they are still Palm, just with buckets and buckets of cold, hard cash.

But, to the OP's question: I think a simple 'no' will suffice.

9. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Are you crazy? The iPhone 4 is the best selling phone ever.

10. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I'm glad that HP have taken this view with Palm. Hopefully with more resources they can produce something with much better hardware. Software is of course brilliant.

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I see no reason for an actual keyboard. I love the solid feel of the phone. No joints or hinges. Women with fingernails don't like the iPhone's keyboard though. I love my woman in french nails. ;)

12. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Speaking OS wise Android in less than a year has 25% of the cell phone market while Apple has dropped to 17%. Why? Because it's available on all carriers, different form factors and different models. Iphone 4 may be the best selling phone but I'm sure Apple is not happy with the current percentage they have on the cell phone market.

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think they are very happy, Jobs wanted 1% from the beginning. Market share is not the same as money.

14. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure that having the highest percent of marketshare has never been part of Apple's goal. Just sayin'.

15. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

WOW! No comment on this....

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

Palm may have some independence within HP, but you can be sure that the HP culture and upper management will make a mess of the whole thing.

There's no reason for Apple to make a different phone - they are selling just about all they can make as it is. If they go to a another carrier it will be the same story.

17. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Well I think you completely don't understand. Both Apple and Google are in the mobile area for two different things.

Google make an OS which is free to go on as many manufacturers handsets as possible to get as much traffic and data for their advertising. They want market share.

Apple make both OS and hardware. They generate a huge profit and markup from each handset sold. They want profit. So I think both Apple and Google are very happy with the way things are going, for two different reasons.

18. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

marketshare is nothing compared to profit for apple. somewhere steve jobs is sitting back and saying, you can take those stupid percentage points, but my one device has quadrupled the sales of any one other device. android has many many many phones, and the fact that the iPhone is even close to them with only one phone on iOS is amazing.

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

If I were to say that the color Black in fact is black someone like an Apple apologist like you would argue against that.

FYI Market share=$$$$

Go do your homework, read more and post less.:rolleyes:

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If market-share was what concerns Apple, they'd be selling $500 MBP's. You can't cash a check with market-share.

21. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

while it's true, the more marketshare = more money, apple realizes that with one device they cant compete in the near future with android because of the number of devices on that OS, apple is going to worry more about selling devices that about worrying about competing with an opponent OS.

22. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

LOL ok you're right....you're an economics guru, I'm barking up the wrong tree.

23. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Ehh, I don't think so. I think Jobs is VERY happy with the iPhone.

Remember, people who buy smartphones care about market share. People that sell smartphones care about profit margin. They are not the same. And this is where the iPhone dominates.

However IMO iPhone 4 is the best looking phone and does most of what I want so thats why I have it. However, if iPhone 5 doesn't have a 4 inch screen with similar pixel density OR a dual-core processor It won't be my next phone. I'll never be loyal to a brand name. Thats just stupid.

24. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's two ways to make money from a products; Go for volume and sell at a loss. That means you need to sell a lot of the product in order to get the money back, so to speak.

Or sell every product with a good margin and sacrifice market penetration. Guess which one Apple does?

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

WOW! No comment on this... :D