When will Apple release the iPad mini Pro model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macbook14in, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

I just sold my iPad mini 2, looking towards buying next year's iPad mini. My guess is Apple is going to call it the iPad mini Pro just like the rest of the iPad lines.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Wouldn't the name "iPad Mini Pro" imply the existence of two models; iPad Mini Pro and iPad Mini (non-pro)? Also, wouldn't the inclusion of the word "mini" seem to signify the low end while iPad Pro would signify the opposite end of the iPad line? I'm thinking Mac mini as opposed to Mac Pro. I'm just guessing here, naming conventions sometimes confuse me.

3. Math889 macrumors 65816

I really don't know . according to the rumors it will be in march 2017.but since TSMC has some issues to produce the A10X ,I Really don't know . Hope it will be on march 2017!

4. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hopefully soon. A 7.9" iPad with a 256gb storage option and Pencil support would be a perfect companion to my 12.9" Pro. I'd grab one of those pretty quickly.

5. Appleaker macrumors 68000

They wouldn't call is the iPad mini Pro, it would be called the "7.9-inch iPad Pro".
    But, I don't think it will be. It will probably have the features of a last-gen iPad Pro but wouldn't be called that. Im guessing next year you'll have the 10.5" as the smaller iPad Pro, and the 12.9" as the larger model. Future 9.7" models probably won't be under the Pro name.

Anyway, back to the point: It depends on delays but probably in March next year although there are rumors it won't be refreshed and they'll stick with the 4. Since Tim Cook, they like to keep older products around because they continue to bring in money and they don't need to upgrade them.

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If they can't release an iPad mini Pro due to production issues (which is unacceptable enough), then the least they could do is release an iPad mini 5 with an A9 chip to at least keep things interesting.

7. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Not happening. The iPad Mini could only get a minor update.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Mini Coopers aren't low end.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

"Mini" doesn't signify "low-end"... it indicates that it is SMALLER than the 9.7 iPad. "Pro" doesn't indicate "high-end" though people continue to think that. It is simply a marketing differentiator to separate it from the "Air".

I really wish that Apple had called the "Pro" the "iPad Plus". That would have avoided all of the complaints about a "Pro" machine not being able to do "X" or "Y". The flip side is that if they HAD called it the Plus, then people would be getting spun up about "Pro" rumors about a device that ran both iOS and macOS.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

No one knows if or when the next Mini is coming. The latest rumours suggest that March will bring new 9.7" and 12.9" iPad, and possibly a new 10" model. There hasn't really been any news on a new 7.9" model, unfortunately.

11. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I actually like the idea of using "Plus" over "Pro" for the iPad.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2016 ---
    Taking words out of context in order to add humor to the thread?

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yup

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Hoping for March. In any case my Mini 4 is doing everything I need quite well.

14. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

If they had called the 12.9" ipad pro the iPad plus, and the 9.7" iPad just the iPad and the 7.9" stayed the iPad mini that would be cool. Then they could come out with "pro" versions of each. However...if they add the rumored 10.5" bezel-less iPad to the mix that would throw a monkey wrench into that naming scheme. What would they call it? The iPad plus and the 12.9" would become the iPad max? It starts getting very confusing. Much like the current apple laptop lines. The MacBooks are now thinner than the macbook airs! So the name "air" has lost its meaning. I'm all for choice, but Apple should really simplify & streamline their offerings. Too much is not always a good thing.

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Unfortunately the rumors aren't talking about an updated mini, and certainly not a "pro" version. We had it good with the A7 chip, when the retina mini and iPad Air were treated as equals, but ever since then the mini has been treated like some budget-line tablet by Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors pan out to be true, and the mini either isn't updated or just gets last year's chip.

It's pretty frustrating. I understand why Apple might do such a thing, but some of us covet the smaller iPad for its size. I'm using these tablets professionally, and I'd pay more for a better iPad mini. As it is, I held out for an "iPad mini Pro" but finally just went with a 9.7" iPad Pro, which is less comfortable than the iPad mini I used to use but can get the job done. Apple Pencil support and the faster speeds are really appreciated.

While I'm dreaming about an iPad mini Pro, it'd be even better if Apple made a companion "Apple Pencil mini" or an "Apple Pen" designed solely for writing to go along with it; smaller size and with better battery life.

It's a bit ironic that Apple is all about thinness and mobility these days, and yet when it comes to the iPad line and Apple Pencil they seem to be sticking their noses up at them...

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yeah, it is quite unfortunate that every Apple product has drawbacks that it shouldn't: the mini has an A8, the 9.7" iPad Pro has 2GB of RAM, the 12.9" has missing features from its smaller brother, the iPhone 7 has a 750p display, the iPhone 7 Plus has too big a body, etc.

The days of seemingly close-to-perfect Apple products is gone. They purposely leave those drawbacks as ways to improve their products in future generations.

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

lol....there not ?

they are not high end....thats for sure. like a fiat basically , the last time i drove one it was garbage.

18. bensisko macrumors 65816

I think, in part, Apple named it the "Pro" to squash the talk about a "Pro" iPad running OS X - as if to say "Not going to happen - THIS is your Pro." I also think a lot of the "backlash" with the Pro moniker is because people realized this was Apple squashing their OS X tablet dreams and decided "it's not 'Pro' enough".

As to the "Mini Pro" - I can totally see them naming it "iPad Mini Pro" or "iPad Pro Mini".
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2016 ---
    The days you're dreaming of were never here. There have ALWAYS been holdbacks on "lower end" models. The iBooks didn't have the same processor, RAM, Graphics of the Powerbook. There have always been tiers of machines (with less RAM, smaller screens, etc.).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2016 ---
    Just because the rumors aren't saying anything about the Mini doesn't mean it's not going to happen. That's what happens when you focus too much on "rumors" - they tend to set expectations for unreleased/unannounced products - then disappointment sets in when the rumor doesn't match the release.

How is the iPad Pro 9.7" not "thin" or "mobile"? The Mini 4 is super thin. The Apple Pencil is pretty thin. I'm all for offering options, but I'm not sure how much smaller it could get without compromising battery and comfort.

19. Lecycliste56 macrumors newbie

Lecycliste56

iPad Mini indicates 7.9" screen size, as opposed to the 9.7" or 12.9" iPad screens on current larger iPad models.

20. Math889 macrumors 65816

If Apple releases an new iPad mini next year it will come with a A9 processor and maybe Apple Pencil support . That's all!

21. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I agree my mini 4 is working like a champ.

22. ericwn macrumors 65816

It might come with an A9. Nothing sure about that, no reason to pretend otherwise. It may have Pencil support. It may get released. Or not. That's all!

23. Math889 macrumors 65816

Personally, I think the IPad mini line is dead . 7.9 inch is not enough .

24. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

...for you, apparently. There are plenty of us for whom it is a great option.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Durring the holiday season in 2015, iPad minis outsold all other models.
    Data here (http://flurrymobile.tumblr.com/post/155022641240/from-apps-to-iphones-holiday-shoppers-invest-in) shows that small tablet continue to sell about as well as any other size.

Also, 7.9" is still significantly larger than a phone, which people still manage to do a lot of web surfing and media consumption on those.

My point is that your preference is just your preference. You can't really speak for the popularity of an entire product line.