Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I am going to have the money in a month or less, and have decided on a nice Mac Mini. But I want to wait for the Pro if it is not too long. I do not do much, so I am quite sure the current Mini would be fine.

Whichever one I get, I want it to be near SILENT. I hate fan noise. I wil put my current rig (see sig) up against any computer made (that is not fanless. Heck, I would even put it up against a fanless computer). I cannot hear any fan noise at all over the gently ticking clock in my office.

Please Apple, get me the PRO soon! By purchasing the mini, I will save enough over the MacBook Pro to buy a nice iPad.

Reactions: Boil
Rumors seem to be ranging from "Spring" to next Fall. Since it's the Mini with a history of expectations coming, getting dashed, getting reset, getting dashed again, etc, etc, it could also be a few years:eek: from now before it sees an upgrade.

My own fingers are crossed on Mini MAX in the Spring.

Don't be surprised if Mini MAX gets priced up into Mbpro territory. If you have the dollars, perhaps don't wait for Mini and get MBpro and use it both ways: laptop and desktop. Then you don't have to wait at all and will definitely get a MAX Mac.

One more thing: if you hang in there for some time in between, some of the returned MBpro Pro & Max units will land in the refurb store. That's typically about 15% off or so. That could happen before "Spring."

Last edited:

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Rumors seem to be ranging from "Spring" to next Fall. Since it's the Mini with a history of expectations coming, getting dashed, getting reset, getting dashed again, etc, etc, it could also be a few years:eek: from now before it sees an upgrade.

But don't be surprised if Mini MAX gets priced up into Mbpro territory. If you have the dollars, perhaps don't wait for Mini and get MBpro and use it both ways: laptop and desktop. Then you don't have to wait at all and will definitely get a MAX Mac.
LOL, yeah, a mini on an actual schedule? I think not in this lifetime, LOL! I have actually thought hard about what you mentioned. That is a possibility, as is purchasing a current M1 Mini. Luckily, I have as much time as I want to decide :) For some crazy reason I was thinking Jan or Feb as a release date. There is just something about the Mini being so unique and focused on its task, with no extra stuff. I have always liked that computer, even when I was a die hard Windows fan who would never ever consider a Mac. I have mellowed :) I had a 2012 mini and loved it.

I have been in the iMac camp for more than a decade. But now that a perfectly good screen is about to be replaced (throwing baby out with the bathwater), I've returned to the original desktop Mac thinking of separates. I thought that was going to have to be the rumored Mac Pro Jr but that Mac Mini PRO and maybe Mac Mini MAX rumor keeps flying. So that may be my next Mac even if it is priced seeming too high vs. the incoming iMacs rumored for about the same time.

Else, I may go MBpro MAX refurb even through the vast majority of use will be like a skinny desktop computer hooked to a separate monitor. Looking forward to see what entities like Brydge come up with for the new MBpros: https://www.brydge.com/products/macbook-vertical-dock?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=brydge docking station&msclkid=54a89804190117d1c296f99aeaad74be

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I have been in the iMac camp for more than a decade. But now that a perfectly good screen is about to be replaced (throwing baby out with the bathwater), I've returned to the original desktop Mac thinking of separates. I thought that was going to have to be the rumored Mac Pro Jr but that Mac Mini PRO and maybe Mac Mini MAX rumor keeps flying. So that may be my next Mac even if it is priced seeming too high vs. the incoming iMacs rumored for about the same time.

Else, I may go MBpro MAX refurb even through the vast majority of use will be like a skinny desktop computer hooked to a separate monitor. Looking forward to see what entities like Brydge come up with for the new MBpros: https://www.brydge.com/products/macbook-vertical-dock?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=brydge docking station&msclkid=54a89804190117d1c296f99aeaad74be
Wow, that is a slick piece of work! I will DEFINITELY be getting that if I go the MacBook route. They even did cooling right! I love the dual concept of that route. I also love the elegant simplicity of the Mini. I think the entire Mac lineup right now is freaking spectacular. A real accomplishment. Must be n ice to have a few trillion dollars to throw around :)

Boil

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2018
By purchasing the mini, I will save enough over the MacBook Pro to buy a nice iPad.

I also await a more powerful Mac mini, for me it would be a M1 Max-powered Mac mini; with the 32-core GPU, 64GB LPDDR5 RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, & 10Gb Ethernet options...

A new iPad mini (and Apple Pencil) in Sidecar mode with a M1 Max Mac mini would be pretty cool...!

April would be nice, just in time for my birthday...!

Don't be surprised if Mini MAX gets priced up into Mbpro territory.

I would figure the specs I outlined above might be about three grand...?

Reactions: Cape Dave

dandeco

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I do indeed hope it will be some time next spring, hopefully in March or April. I want to get a new Apple Silicon headless desktop to replace my 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini sometime next year, preferably in the summer. I only bought the M1 MacBook Air first back in April because at the time my only Mac laptop on hand prior to that was a late 2009 polycarbonate MacBook, and being three years older than my Mini I could only run up to Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra. So I needed to get a much newer Mac laptop first that officially supported Mac OS 11 Big Sur and higher, and so I figured I'd hop on the Apple Silicon bandwagon that way by getting an M1 Air. I got the 8-core graphics 512 GB SSD model with the RAM configured to 16 GB, because I like to multitask and I figured I'd do a lot of image manipulation and video editing on it (and I have so far.)
My ideal replacement Mac Mini to take the place of my 2012 model would have the M1 Pro with the RAM configured to 32 GB, and a 1 TB SSD. This would replace my 2012 Mini having a 2.3 GHz quad-core i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD (that I installed in spring 2019 to replace the existing 1 TB magnetic hard drive.)

Jorbanead

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2018

• It won’t be years. Apple still sells the 2018 (rebranded as 2020) space grey model on their website - this is the model that is rumored to be updated. These use processors that have been discontinued by Intel. Apple has limited stock of these models and they need to transition their entire lineup by next November.

• Gurman (arguably the most accurate leaker based on volume) said that the Mac mini would release in the coming months after the MBP’s were released.

• Apple is rumored to announce an updated 27” iMac which some rumors have claimed an early 2022 release is possible. I would bet apple will announce the “Pro” mini alongside the updated M1 Max 27” iMac (and possibly iMac Pro with dual M1 Max chips?) at the same time. I’m also willing to bet this is why they didn’t announce the mini at the November event (wanted to save it for a “Pro” focused desktop event earlier next year).

My prediction: March 2022. Over the last 10 years apple has hosted a March event 6 times. This also gives supply chains a few months to recover from the holiday season.

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As I expect this "Mac mini Pro" to have the M1 Pro and M1 MAX (single), Apple should be able to release it whenever. As such, at the latest I would expect it to release with the new iMac Pro which depending on the rumor will be in Q1 2022 or at WWDC. I could also see it be released via Press Release before the iMac Pro.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
As I expect this "Mac mini Pro" to have the M1 Pro and M1 MAX (single), Apple should be able to release it whenever.
And therein lies the problem. Apple could have released an upgraded Mini before the laptops. No need to procure and QC mini-LED screens, no need to adapt to a notch, no new physical design needed, and really simple to do if they wanted one anyway.

Yet they haven’t released such a computer. It’s lack of existance is arguably the strongest indication of Apples intentions, as there is ever less reason to release it increasingly late, when they could actually have released it before the laptops.

This is unfortunate, and of course frustrating to anyone who would like something more capable than the M1 in a desktop format. A somewhat more capable "M2" (an extension of A15 to iPad/laptop use within current power constraints) would be nice but not be a big deal given the time taken since M1. An up-tick, a polishing of the current product as opposed to a new tier.

I have no idea what Apple will do. But an M1Pro/M1Max Mini is getting less likely by the day.

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
And therein lies the problem. Apple could have released an upgraded Mini before the laptops. No need to procure and QC mini-LED screens, no need to adapt to a notch, no new physical design needed, and really simple to do if they wanted one anyway.

True, but the 14" and 16" MBPs will outsell the "Mac mini Pro" by orders of magnitude. Apple also had a lot of explaining and apologizing to do with the MacBook Pro line after the 2016-2019 models. So it makes far more sense from a marketing and promotional angle to have MBP launch the M1 Pro and M1 MAX.

Yet they haven’t released such a computer. It’s lack of existance is arguably the strongest indication of Apples intentions, as there is ever less reason to release it increasingly late, when they could actually have released it before the laptops.

Honestly, it could be simply down to supply chain and yield issues as to why we have not seen the "Mac mini Pro" and the new iMac Pro. At launch, high-end M1 MAX configurations were back-ordered over a month so Apple might just not have many of these around and want to focus on meeting MacBook Pro demand now and then in Q1 2022 when (hopefully) supply loosens up they can launch the MmP and iMP with the chips.

Or, again, it could be Apple wanted to focus on the MacBook Pro first because, after the Air, it is the most popular Mac (and I have heard that in aggregate, Apple sells more MacBook Pros than they do Airs even if the Air is the most popular single model). So they could be deliberately keeping the iiMP and MmP on hold until Q1 2022 to allow the MBP to "own the stage" for six months.

I have no idea what Apple will do. But an M1Pro/M1Max Mini is getting less likely by the day.

If the iMac Pro launches in Q1 2022 and we do not see the Mac mini Pro launch beside it, I will be concerned. If we then see the M1 Mac mini updated with the M2 and there is no Mac mini Pro, then I will be pretty convinced that there were no plans for a Mac mini Pro.

Jorbanead

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2018

This is unfortunate, and of course frustrating to anyone who would like something more capable than the M1 in a desktop format. A somewhat more capable "M2" (an extension of A15 to iPad/laptop use within current power constraints) would be nice but not be a big deal given the time taken since M1. An up-tick, a polishing of the current product as opposed to a new tier.

Supply chain issues in general are effecting the entire industry. It’s not just LED panels anymore. Shipping is also an issue. It’s likely apple decided to focus this event on their flagship notebooks because those will provide a better ROI going into the holiday season - and with supply chain issues and shipping issues effecting the world, they can afford to wait on the mini. Apple would never have updated the mini with M1 Max before the notebooks because the mini just isn’t that popular, and they would want to announce the M1 Max chip at an event that has massive marketing traction.

Apple also could easily be waiting to release a Mac mini with the iMac for a desktop-focused event. If they weren’t planning on doing it, they would have removed the extremely outdated 2018 Mac mini model from their website that uses discontinued Intel processors. It’s existence alone on the website is enough reason to believe Apple intends to replace it soon.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Supply chain issues in general are effecting the entire industry. It’s not just LED panels anymore. Shipping is also an issue. It’s likely apple decided to focus this event on their flagship notebooks because those will provide a better ROI going into the holiday season - and with supply chain issues and shipping issues effecting the world, they can afford to wait on the mini. Apple would never have updated the mini with M1 Max before the notebooks because the mini just isn’t that popular, and they would want to announce the M1 Max chip at an event that has massive marketing traction.
True, but I find it hard to see why the Mini would get supply chain issues from plopping in an M1Pro chip as opposed to an M1.
Apple also could easily be waiting to release a Mac mini with the iMac for a desktop-focused event. If they weren’t planning on doing it, they would have removed the extremely outdated 2018 Mac mini model from their website that uses discontinued Intel processors. It’s existence alone on the website is enough reason to believe Apple intends to replace it soon.
I agree, but being a less than relentlessly optimistic person, I would rephrase your last sentence as the existance of the intel Mac Mini on Apples website as being ”the only reason to believe..”.
I could easily see Apple replacing them with an M2 Mini that for instance supported 32GB of RAM using higher capacity LPDDR5 chips.
I sincerely hope you’re right though, as I would gladly buy a Mini with an M1Max. It would fit my computer priorities beautifully. 😀

(Responding to both you and CWallace in one go.)

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
True, but I find it hard to see why the Mini would get supply chain issues from plopping in an M1Pro chip as opposed to an M1.

There is more to the Mac mini Pro than just the M1 Pro and M1 MAX SoC. Could be memory supply issues (RAM and storage NVME). Maybe issues for system boards or parts /chips on the system boards. Maybe the power bricks with the Ethernet port are constrained. Maybe the new case is taking longer to ramp up production.

It could also be just that Apple did not complete the design and validation work until recently so the models are just entering the production chain and there will not be sufficient "launch stock" until Q1 2022. We know the iMac Pro was delayed to complete development of the iMac and the iMac Pro is more important than the Mac mini Pro so Apple could have diverted resources to getting the iMac Pro ready and then started on the Mac mini Pro.

Reactions: Jorbanead

Jorbanead

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2018
For all we know, the new mini is using a new design that is much more than just plopping in a new chip (even if that was what they were doing it would require a totally new mobo, heatsink, and power adaptor). Supply chain issues, and issues with shipping, could effect any part of production as CWallace said. Or Apple simply hadnt locked in final designs yet for a November launch.

Agreeing with CWallace that if we don’t see a mini launched alongside an iMac later next year than I may start doubting its existence.
I agree, but being a less than relentlessly optimistic person, I would rephrase your last sentence as the existance of the intel Mac Mini on Apples website as being ”the only reason to believe..”.
For me, it’s that plus Mark Gurman’s reports, along with other similar reports on a new mini, along with my own guesses on I/O and ram capacity needs that only an M1 Max chip can provide to replace existing models are what I’m looking at. Current high-end models have 64Gb of ram and higher I/O capacity than M1. I don’t see this being fulfilled by an M2 chip.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Current high-end models have 64Gb of ram and higher I/O capacity than M1. I don’t see this being fulfilled by an M2 chip.
I think this may well turn out to be true. Limiting I/O is a rather straightforward, (if irritating) way of creating tiers in a computer product line-up. Given that the M1 is used from iPads to iMacs, it makes a bit of sense to not saddle the iPads with too much I/O resources that go to waste for that platform. And if so, the customer demand will be there for at least another Mini product tier.
I/O bandwidth demand keeps increasing though for both screens and external storage, I'm not sure releasing a second generation of Minis that can't hook up to 8k screens would be a good move for instance. It would make sense if an M2 chip at least extended the I/O capabilities of the M1 somewhat. Together with RAM capacity it's clearly a weak spot for the original SoC.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
It could also be just that Apple did not complete the design and validation work until recently so the models are just entering the production chain and there will not be sufficient "launch stock" until Q1 2022. We know the iMac Pro was delayed to complete development of the iMac and the iMac Pro is more important than the Mac mini Pro so Apple could have diverted resources to getting the iMac Pro ready and then started on the Mac mini Pro.
It doesn't really sit well with me that Apple couldn't design a new Mini because they were busy with the MacBooks. And then they can't design a new Mini because they are busy with the iMac. I find it hard to believe that Apple would be so resource constrained that they can't do things in parallel, (particularly a desktop box that comparatively is very modest work).

It just seems too strange that Apple would only be able to produce one model at a time. On the contrary, the problems that need solving in terms of board design, connectivity, thermals et cetera must be very similar with the same SoCs, so doing these pretty much in parallel would seem to make the most sense.

Also, it would be a bit circular if Apple couldn't be arsed to put a new Mini out the door because it is too insignificant - a reason a product becomes insignificant is if it keeps getting neglected and/or only gets components out of the old parts bin. Like the iPod touch, Apple TV or indeed the Mini previously. It's particularly unfortunate with the Mini, as a significant chunk of potential Mini customers are also potential Windows users where the hardware options for desktop systems are incredibly wide. Having more competitive Minis would seem like a relatively easy place to gain some market share for Apple.

Jorbanead

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2018
It would make sense if an M2 chip at least extended the I/O capabilities of the M1 somewhat. Together with RAM capacity it's clearly a weak spot for the original SoC.
It wouldn’t make sense to me because the M1 is their lowest tier, consumer grade chip and I doubt any of the M1/M2/M3 etc. products will add more I/O as Apple clearly believes more I/O is more of a professional need.

It just seems too strange that Apple would only be able to produce one model at a time.

The way Apple products come to fruition is the ID team starts with a design for the product. This ID team does all industrial design for every apple product. This team is also quite small (exact figures are unknown). They aren’t just working on one product at a time, they’re working on iPhone, mac, watch, iPad, and other projects all at once. Jobs was adamant that this team be small (and generally teams at Apple) because large teams come with their own issues. Because of this, Apple has great focus on each product, but it does mean their ID team has a finite number of products they can develop at any given time.

All that being said, I think Apple doesn’t really see the mini as being their top priority or something they even care to release annually. If it was super important, like the iPhone, their ID team would find the time to design it. But it’s not that important, and Apple Marketing ultimately has the final say on when products get released and because the mini is pretty niche, it can be pushed around the schedule to fit a specific timeframe or event that works best with Apple marketing and release schedules of all apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.