macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
August 20th sounding likely for beta 6? My iphone is ready b

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Before this beta 5 I would have said there won't be a beta 6 unless it's a hot fix like last years was. But after using this beta for a few hours. It's really stable but there are still a couple of things that make it not close to a GM imo

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Depends how B5 turns out to be
There's certainly that possibility of course, but even then, unless it's something truly serious, it might still end up being something addressed in GM and not before (unless another beta was planned anyway).

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
August 20th sounding likely for beta 6?
iOS 7, which was a MAJOR update, had 6 developer betas. Apple typically spends about one month adding any secret features then code freeze and fix bugs. Most final developer betas aren't known to be particularly stable, and this is when developers really scramble to fix any compatibility issues.

So my guess is that today's beta 5 is the last iOS 8 developer beta.

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
iOS 7, which was a MAJOR update, had 6 developer betas. Apple typically spends about one month adding any secret features then code freeze and fix bugs. Most final developer betas aren't known to be particularly stable, and this is when developers really scramble to fix any compatibility issues.

So my guess is that today's beta 5 is the last iOS 8 developer beta.
From a development perspective, iOS 7 is small potatoes compared to iOS 8.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
From a development perspective, iOS 7 is small potatoes compared to iOS 8.
Hmm maybe. Wasn't it a total rewrite though? If not, you are right. All they really did for 7 was change assets and sprinkle some new features. While 8 is adding whole new frameworks to the underlying system. iOS 8 should then get at least one more beta. But it's totally up to Apple.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Seriously?

There will be as many beta as it takes. I doubt apple says "Gee all of our betas only have 5 releases".

If Apple fails to release a fully working, GM ready, beta then they suck !!!

Wait who am I kidding, based upon the recent past the GM's are a beta, and we are Apple's beta testers.

MikeePA

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
October 6

I guess that Apple does not plan (for now) to release another beta before GM. Beta 5 expires on October 6.

alezano

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
If it's true that iPhone 6 will be presented September 9, which also means GM on that day, than beta 5 will very likely be the last beta.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
iOS 8 Beta 6 Release Date???

Apparently rumor has it that beta 6 will be released on August 15th which is this Friday. Just wanted to get some opinions. Is this predicted date right? Will there even be a beta 6? It seems a little wierd that a beta would be released on a Friday but stranger things have happened I guess...

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I personally would like to see another beta before GM. I'm seeing quite a few common bugs within beta 5.
And it's entirely possible they're spent from now until early September squashing those bugs. Someone else pointed out that there is usually a 4 week period between the last beta and the GM.

I believe this beta 5 is the last.

Yun0

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
if anything i think just one more, at least a beta 6 to fix the transferring apps/syncing cause a device that fails to sync..really..first time i heard of that problem in any beta, thats pretty serious..& remember the last beta -> GM itself will have a host of, hopefully the last, changes till public release with the exception of this game breaking broken sync in beta 5 i think its quite good..1 more beta then GM will fix the rest, then a 8.0.1 near after launch will do any quick fix ups along with a 8.0.2 then probably 8.1 in nov/dec/jan as the apple trend has proven..