When will iPhones have 512 GB of storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by max2, Jun 15, 2017.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Nope.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---
    And just to anticipate your asking why not, I'll tell you.

32 - 256 - 512
    64 - 256 - 512

Those are the possible storage sizes if Apple went to 512gb. Neither of those are attractive from Apple's POV right now.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Really?

What in the world would people store on such a thing?

Help me understand?

4. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Very little demand or need for that much storage on a phone. Not cost-effective for  to entertain.

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I would like to buy a phone with 512GB storage when I can, because I just have so many stuff to store.
    But, I could only see Apple introducing 512GB in iPhone 8 earliest.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I can't imagine that enough people need that much storage on their phone to make it worthwhile. That's twice as much storage as I even have on my main PC.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Not coming on the ip8.

One day?...yes. But not this year.

8. kebrone macrumors member

kebrone

This much space must be for one doing a lot of video recording, I can understand that then you need it. I have 128GB and when doing video and audio recording it gets full and have to upload it to somewhere every month.

9. Kcetech1, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

Kcetech1 macrumors regular

for doing simple video recording on a jobsite for documentation purposes away from a laptop and some people who hoard pictures and add 120GB of music.

My husband has been running a 256GB micro XD card for years and wants more but hasn't found a 512 yet except the SD card version he has hooked up with an adaptor cable and stuck the card in the case with the phone.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I think that joeblow7777 is spot on in his assessment. One group that would want that much storage would be those who do not trust the cloud, and want to keep literally everything on their phone. This group, however, is not large enough to trigger Apple or any other phone maker to put that much storage into a phone.

That being said, ultimately some manufacturer will put 512 into a phone, just to say they have done it, and the race will be on for everyone to do it because no one will want to have a backwater phone with less than 512 on it, even if they don't have anything to put in it.

The other thing is simply Apps becoming larger and larger and using up more space. Right now most of these use the cloud for the extra memory. I'm thinking here of apps that are heavy data users. The one way they can get their app to go faster is to have the data stored on the phone instead of having to upload and download from the cloud.

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Peasant. Zottabytes are the next big thing in phone storage.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Doubtful. And the price tag attached to a 512 GB storage tier would be very expensive and someone would have to justify to utilize that amount of storage.

13. Grey Area macrumors member

I would use this to store my music collection. I strongly dislike having to select and sync what music to carry around for the day, and iTunes being such a shoddy mess of a software makes this even worse. Therefore, for the time being I transport my music on a 256 GB memory card in my trusty 11-year old Sandisk mp3-player. Yes, I know there is a 256 GB iPhone now, but phone storage is used for other things too, so it would not work for me. With a 512 GB phone I could switch to carrying one device only. But my collection is growing, and I suspect a 512 GB microsd card suitable for my Sandisk will arrive long before a 512 GB iPhone...

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Okay - some do not trust the cloud but trust their phone will not get lost, break down, etc.
    Some like to store 50,000 songs with them
    etc
    etc

My Son In Law used to have a big ipod but now sticks with Pandora/Spotify/Etc.

I can not imagine the market for 512 is that big. Quick primer on what 64gb holds here