Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Stop the presses. If you have converted music to ALAC then if you then go encoded them back to 256kbps ACC you will lower the quality. Basically when you converted from 256kbps files to ALAC the encoder filled in the missing data with null data. However when you go to encoded them back to 256kbps the encoder doesn't just remove the null data but treats all data the same. It will therefore discard some of the original content while leaving some of null data in the 256kbps encode. This will result in a lower quality than the original. If converted to ALAC then you should leave them that way.

AHHHHH good to know!!! I did not know that. Thanks!! "Stop the presses" was hilarious

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Streaming service Tidal relaunches in 20 minutes. They just cut their FULL RESOLUTION price from $20 a month to $9.99.

It's over for Spotify. Beats never stood a chance, especially since Apple refuses to do full resolution downloads, they surely won't with their streaming services.

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
Streaming service Tidal relaunches in 20 minutes. They just cut their FULL RESOLUTION price from $20 a month to $9.99.

It's over for Spotify. Beats never stood a chance, especially since Apple refuses to do full resolution downloads, they surely won't with their streaming services.

Where did you get that out from?
The only thing I can see is that now there's a second subscription option. There's the $20 for HiFi quality streaming and $9.99 for "Normal Quality", which, according to Tidal's FAQ, means superb 96kbps AAC+ sound.

Last edited:

thisisrandom

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2015
I used to think so as well. Then, a couple of years ago, I did a proper double-blind listening test together with a few friends (some of which consider themselves "audiophiles"). None of us could reliably tell the 256 kbps AAC or MP3 files from the uncompressed originals. Since then, I don't bother with lossless music anymore. ;)

Proper mastering is much more important. Unfortunately many modern recordings are mastered miserably, e.g. applying too much dynamic range compression. I applaud Apple for trying to do something about that as part of their "Mastered for iTunes" best practices (although I wish they were more forceful about it).

I consider myself an "audiophile" :D
The difference between lossless formats (WAV, AIFF) and lossy formats (with bitrates 128, 256, 320 kbps and etc.) could be none, or day & night. Can you guess why? HARDWARE!!

If you listen to music through consumer-grade speakers, even the most expensive top-of-the-line models, there's no quality difference beyond 320kbps, perhaps even 256kbps. Hence, your double-blind observation.

But if you purchase a pair of "studio monitors" (professional reference speakers used for studio recording) and an "audio interface" capable of producing "balanced sound output" to your studio monitors through "balanced cables", then the difference will be midnight, and noon ;)
A decent setup like this costs between $2,000-20,000

You should try it, you'll never go back!

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I consider myself an "audiophile" :D
The difference between lossless formats (WAV, AIFF) and lossy formats (with bitrates 128, 256, 320 kbps and etc.) could be none, or day & night. Can you guess why? HARDWARE!!
That's what audiophiles always say to justify their expensive hardware. Problem is, we did the blind-test on professional studio equipment that's easily worth as much as a Porsche or two. :p

The thing is that "balanced cables" and other audiophile magic has very little bearing on hearing compression artifacts. It is sometimes possible to hear the differences if you know what to listen for, but at the high bitrates we are talking about that's a rare occurrence. There are also a few "killer samples" that can trip up perceptual compression algorithms.
You should try it, you'll never go back!
I'd suggest the same to you: Try a *real* double blind test! It won't diminish your enjoyment of high-end audio reproduction, but may clear up some myths.

Last edited:

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I don't care what the average person says about not hearing a difference. When you are trained in music and you have semi-expensive speakers or headphones, you can hear the difference between FLAC/ALAC and MP3/AAC.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

no they didnt and the service is a total flop. the app isnt even in the top 700 i think and they just fired the CEO and other people because of their incompetence and ignorance.

Reactions: navaira

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
no they didnt and the service is a total flop. the app isnt even in the top 700 i think and they just fired the CEO and other people because of their incompetence and ignorance.

It's still a streaming service with lossless quality in the US, so I haven't seen any worthy alternatives yet.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The problem being the quality of the sound hardware inside the Mac is poor, but for the majority, it and 256 Kbps AAC is good enough.http://www.linnrecords.com

Why would Apple put in poor quality audio hardware into any of their Macs which for many of us would be around $1500 or more?? Also I've ripped all my CDs into 256kbps MP3 but I've considered going to AAC at possibly 320kbps. Is it worth it?

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Why would Apple put in poor quality audio hardware into any of their Macs which for many of us would be around $1500 or more?? Also I've ripped all my CDs into 256kbps MP3 but I've considered going to AAC at possibly 320kbps. Is it worth it?

I think you'll hear a bigger difference between 320 kbps and lossless than between 256 kbps and 320 kbps. Although AAC is better than MP3 at the same bit rates.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Again... who cares? Lots of things aren't an option for the extremely poor. You think Netflix gives a rats ass about those people? Do you think they shouldn't offer HD or 4K because some people are on dialup? With that mentality, Netflix wouldn't even exist.

Netflix exists because of its DVD and BluRay library; not because of your desire to stream everything. Know what else is extremely poor, Netflix's streaming selection when compared to its physical media library. But at least you can stream Ghostbusters 2 instead of Ghostbusters 1.

Who cares what you want.

----------

That's what audiophiles always say to justify their expensive hardware. Problem is, we did the blind-test on professional studio equipment that's easily worth as much as a Porsche or two. :p

Used 944s probably. :D

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
I don't care what the average person says about not hearing a difference. When you are trained in music and you have semi-expensive speakers or headphones, you can hear the difference between FLAC/ALAC and MP3/AAC.

You don't even have to be trained in music. The people who say there is no difference don't know what they're talking about -- and I don't mean that in an insulting way. Unless you can side-by-side the configurations, it's hard to understand what is missing.

Some friends and I have reasonable hardware that we often compare -- like my Sennheiser HD800s, and switching between Spotify and Tidal is just.... no comparison. It's blatantly obvious that they are different. Even on my Sennheiser Momentum V2s it's rather clear.

Yes, if you listen on laptop speakers or Apple earbuds, there is no perceptible difference.

Generally I don't argue about this stuff. If people don't know what they are missing, that doesn't effect me. But in this case, I really want to see the major content providers offer me lossless. I'll pay the $20 I currently give to Tidal -- no problem. Just give me the option.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Some friends and I have reasonable hardware that we often compare -- like my Sennheiser HD800s, and switching between Spotify and Tidal is just.... no comparison. It's blatantly obvious that they are different. Even on my Sennheiser Momentum V2s it's rather clear.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but switching between Spotify and Tidal is a completely useless methodology if you want to compare encodings. The perceived difference can be from any number of things that have nothing to do with the encoding, ranging from simple loudness differences over different client software to different source masters.

Reactions: chabig

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but switching between Spotify and Tidal is a completely useless methodology if you want to compare encodings. The perceived difference can be from any number of things that have nothing to do with the encoding, ranging from simple loudness differences over different client software to different source masters.

Valid point, but regardless of the origin of the issue, Tidal HiFi is consistently better sounding than either Spotify or current iTunes downloads on good hardware.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Valid point, but regardless of the origin of the issue, Tidal HiFi is consistently better sounding than either Spotify or current iTunes downloads on good hardware.
Well, if it's just louder, that's pretty meaningless. :p If you really want to learn about codecs, I'd recommend to get the CD "Perceptual Audio Coders: What to Listen For" by the Audio Engineering Society. It demonstrates what audible differences perceptual codecs can really cause. Hint: If you think one candidate sounds "fuller" than the other, you're probably not hearing differences caused by the codec.

Reactions: chabig

omjoko

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2015
Let's go already. What the hell is the holdup? Nobody buys CDs anymore. It's becoming hard to find them, unless you're willing to order at amazon, and even then a lot of titles are on backorder.

When is one of the major players going to offer lossless downloads? It's long past become a joke. We don't need 24-bit. Just give up CD quality and be done with it.
I'm usually downloaded and search album in this site Indoflac

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The modern mastering techniques are more of a problem than bitrate. It doesn't matter if you listen to Garbage's Not Your Kind Of People in 256kbps or lossless, it will still sound like a mess due to the wall of sound mastering. Depeche Mode's Playing The Angel benefits GREATLY from listening to the DVD version, because the mastering is quieter and so you can hear much more detail. With many old albums the remastered version ruins the sound making everything LOUD.

I played Liza Minnelli's album Results yesterday from my library, and my reaction was: what the hell? It sounded terrible. Then I checked and it was ripped in 128kbps. I switched to Apple Music and the difference was night and day. But I don't hear the difference between iTunes Plus and lossless, and I listen to music using studio monitors. Perhaps I need to buy gold-plated cables ;) (I also need to re-rip Results, when I find it in my 1000+ CD pile.)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
As the OP states, it's 2015. Storage is dirt cheap and we have cloud storage.
Really? Last time I checked going from 256 GB SSD to 1 TB SSD on a MBP is still a $900 upgrade. I don't consider that dirt cheap. And I also don't consider carrying around and disconnecting and reconnecting an external drive with my laptop something I aspire to.

M@C

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2015
I don't care what the average person says about not hearing a difference. When you are trained in music and you have semi-expensive speakers or headphones, you can hear the difference between FLAC/ALAC.

Sorry but...

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: jhfenton and Icaras

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
How come that many double blind tests using music experts show the opposite? I don't doubt that there are many people that can hear the difference, but there are many more people, even among experts who cannot hear the difference.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Really? Last time I checked going from 256 GB SSD to 1 TB SSD on a MBP is still a $900 upgrade. I don't consider that dirt cheap. And I also don't consider carrying around and disconnecting and reconnecting an external drive with my laptop something I aspire to.

I don't aspire to that either, and I use an iMac. So, use iTunes Match or Apple Music.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You can get an external hard drive very cheap. I got a 2TB for $90 a few months ago.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You can get an external hard drive very cheap. I got a 2TB for $90 a few months ago.
I already said that I didn't want to lug around an external drive. What is the point of your post? Are you trying to win an argument by ignoring what the other party has said?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I already said that I didn't want to lug around an external drive. What is the point of your post? Are you trying to win an argument by ignoring what the other party has said?
That's fine, just making a point. Depending which Mac you have, you can upgrade still (unless you have a current one). I can get a 1TB SSD for my MacBook for under $400 easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.