When will Mac Guides Return?

Discussion in 'Mac Guides' started by Huntn, Dec 1, 2013.

1. simsaladimbamba

Good news. Who will do that? And once they are finished we can create our own guides again instead of using posts to have guides in like some basterds use to do?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Some people in the iOS 8 forum are already doing this. Example.

3. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, meant the original guides, that were separate from the forums in some way. But maybe I am also just mistaken.

As I have many posts being guides I always wanted to create guides in the Guide section of, but was a bit thrown off by its editing tools.
    But if Wiki guides always have to be new threads, then that is an option too.

Did I make myself clearer?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Existing threads can be turned into Wiki threads, but they remain in the regular forums and not in the Guides section.

If you're not the OP of a thread that you want to make a Wiki, report it too us and we'll review it and make a decision to turn it into a Wiki thread for you. If you're the OP of said thread, you can turn it into a Wiki right now if you like.

5. simsaladimbamba

Ahhhhhh, Thanks.

And just to make sure, the Wiki Guides will stay in the sub-forums as discussed in that other thread with arn? Or will there ever be a Wiki Guide section like the old Guides section?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

From what Arn was saying, we, or someone, could make a Wiki thread of Wiki threads in each sub-forum and we'd make it sticky. This thread would list all the Wiki threads in that forum for quick reference. That's because there, currently, isn't a good way to keep all the Wiki threads available near the top of a forum.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Over the years I have uploaded many images associated with MR Guides. With the intention of resurrecting some of my guides, can someone in the know, either explain to me how to look at an index of uploaded MacRumor library images or point me at a link? Thanks.

Since wiki posts now appear as regular threads, I may elect to retain editing rights on some, if not all of these guides, and create them as regular posts.

Questions:
    Will wiki guide/posts get a dedicated index page so they can be easily located?
    Will posting what was formerly a guide as an individual post violate a MR rule?

Thanks!

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

9. Huntn, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

What will become of the Mac Rumors guide section? Will it remain or be decommissioned? There is a lot of info there such as: http://guides.macrumors.com/Inline_Attachments. This info should be retained.

Also I'd like to say again that if guides are to be scattered among forum posts, there needs to be an index of Guides available to find them. One possible solution would be a sticky wiki post in each section where a list of guides for that section could be quickly referenced, but a dedicated guide index with a list of all guides would be better IMO. Thoughts?

Thanks!

If Admin would like any (casual) assistance in reorganizing the Guides section, please give a shout.
    I'd also like to thank Sandbox General for the help he has provided in answering my questions! :D

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

11. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Is there a plan to change former guides to wikis?

Not sure if this is being addressed but as an "older" user I used to love the guides that were at the top of the forum pages. I can't find them anymore except for at guides.macrumors.com. Are there plans to systematically change all the 132 guides that members worked on into a wiki (ie: http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:Guides)?

There is still some good info in those guides even if some of them are a bit outdated. Case in point: a guide that I spent a lot of time on, "Booting Windows on the Mac", while outdated, does have some very fundamental information in it that I think is helpful to users. Most of the guides are similar and I think it would be sad to just completely remove them from the site.

Thoughts?

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would agree and advocate creating new wiki threads :)

As far as I know there are no plans, however the community may as well fill the void.

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Wiki posts should have a label somewhere identifying them as such.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They do. They say Wiki in bold before the thread title and a disclaimer at the top of the first post.

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 9.22.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 9.22.18 PM.png

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I thought I started the following post as a wiki: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1762313

Maybe I messed up and it's not a wiki? I don't see those labels on it. Thanks!

Edit: My error? I thought I put a wiki checkmark in the above referenced thread but it is not labeled as a wiki post. I started another "this is a test" thread to see if those labels would appear and they did. :-\

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It could be a system error thing. You aren't the first person I've seen say this - you're the second one.

I turned the thread you linked to above into a Wiki now.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thank you! :)

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I assume with the new MacRumors forum software, the old MacRumors Guides (not wiki posts) are still in the waste bin? Thanks.

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have every reason to believe that this is correct - the software powering the old Guides hasn't been updated since "the dark ages" and is thus unsafe. Arn would know for sure.

20. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not speaking in official capacity whatsoever, but it hasn't been mentioned, so I doubt it will be soon, if ever.