When will MacBook and MacBook Pro get updated(thinner,multitouch etc.).

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joemarioz, Jan 18, 2008.

1. joemarioz macrumors member

joemarioz

why isn't the MacBook and MacBook pro updated with multitouch,if so,when?

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

It will probably get updated around April. No one knows why Apple didn't update them.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The Macbook isn't scheduled to be 'updated' until May. Read the buyer's guide. What's certain is that it was just updated in November, and Apple isn't in the habit of updating their computers every three months.

4. joemarioz thread starter macrumors member

joemarioz

macbooks

Is there some kind of kenote or speech if so,please reply.

5. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Thinner and multitouch, no evidence that will happen to the MB or the MBP. The MB would be the last thing to get it (entry level). MBP may get something from the MBA like multitouch, even that might not happen.

6. Aranince macrumors 65816

We won't know until about a week before it happens.

7. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Oh I know why...

[​IMG]

8. joemarioz thread starter macrumors member

joemarioz

That is TRUE

Of course I think you're right but it was updated only by the inside with santarosa architecture .So there MAY be an update very soon.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You obviously haven't listened to any of us. :D Apple updates the Macbook every six months, not whenever people start insisting there should be an update. You can say 'any minute now' for the next three months with a post per day on how an update is imminent, but the Macbook almost certainly isn't getting updated until the month of May.

10. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

The new tech we have seen in the MBA, that cost money. To keep the MB and MBP at their price points I don't see how they would get the new chip, motherboard and all. I think the update is not going to be anything dramatic.

11. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

WWDC 08 for MBP (early to mid June) mark my words.

and yes, Apple can obviously keep the different lines of computers at a stable price point. they have always done so. It depends on Intel on supplying the latest and greatest chips, and Montevina platform is slated to be released May this year. Don't be surprised if Apple updates the MacBook Air soon either since the MBA is based on the Montevina design using an old chip (Merom) supposedly.

in terms of new technology, there really isn't much in MBA in terms of new tech other than squeezing everything down to the tinniest possible. things like the magnetic latch, new keyboard and multitouch trackpad can all be easily implemented.

12. joemarioz thread starter macrumors member

joemarioz

Apple won't do that.

In my opinion they must do a significant update we have been with the same macbook for so long damn!!they must do that sacrifice,So people with the MBA would have more privileges?? Reply please!

13. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

if anything should be updated, it should be the MacBook Pro. It's still using the same case design as the one Apple used in 2003! The latch design and keyboard are outdated comparing to what MacBook and MBA has to offer. even a slight tweak will make everything up to date.

14. Fossie macrumors member

Why is thinner a must have **feature**, i'd rather have better specs & a colder computer, than a thin thing.

15. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Whats the thing thats been a prized thing throughout computing history? Things getting smaller! From room size down. It's what clicks in most peoples heads that tech is advancing. We've always been ooh aahh over tech getting smaller and smaller.

16. pksweedflame macrumors newbie

I think Macbook Pro updates will occur less than a month away: here's why.

Everyone expected the MBP updates at Macworld, but Steve Jobs wasn't going to be stupid and distract the market for the new Macbook Air, which is priced similarly to the MBP. I think Apple will let the MBA get pre-ordered for the next 2 weeks, and when it starts selling, bring out the MBP update.

Although November was the last 'update', the last ACTUAL update was way before that - according to the macrumors buyer's guide. I don't think Apple will let other laptop companies to use Penryn for 5 months before they bring out the good stuff.

They have all the technology available: Penryn, multi-touch keypad, and probably a fancy re-design. Timing is crucial: it has to be soon, but not so soon to affect Macbook Air sales.

Also, there was NO 'one more thing' at Macworld - perhaps the secret announcement to be made is the 'one more thing' = Macbook Pro updates!

17. ben2umbc macrumors newbie

I just spent 1.5 hours typing this for another thread so I might as well post some excerpts here cause it is just so relevant:

As for multi-touch on existing platforms - my feeling is that its entirely feasible that in either 10.5.2 or a later firmware upgrade for keyboards/trackpads will introduce this technology beyond the Air. I believe this because my trackpad knows when I am using one finger, and it knows when I am using two fingers. It also knows when I am using more than two fingers, because it does not respond.

It makes sense for Apple to use Macworld, Macbook Air, and iTouch to debut the new technology. But if multi-touch is available for those two entirely different hardware, why not other touch-pads?

The flipside of the coin however comes from the fact that the upgrade for the iTouch is not free. This is an interesting precedent for Apple, and only time will tell whether or not Apple will continue down this road. I am curious how the availability of an upgrade for iTouch users was communicated for those who are not in the know. I suppose that when devices were synced following the release of the upgrade, users were automatically taken to a page on the iTunes store announcing new features and requesting $20. Insight here is appreciated.

So if Apple is charging for that software, why not charge users for the ability to use multi-touch? From a business standpoint it seems rather lucrative.

Or perhaps lets say the multi-touch is hardware dependent. Hypothetically, Apple could have silently started including a more advanced touch-pad at any point over the last year without any of us being the wiser. Just because the Air leaked out of Apple's balloon doesn't mean they can't still keep some secrets. I will use myself as an example: I bought my macbook in November shortly after the hardware upgrade. Unless you are an electrical engineer who took apart two different laptops and closely examined the touchpad for some change which a layman like me could not identify, how would you know if it was any different? I do suppose an Apple Genius might notice, but then again they probably haven't had a chance to look at too many newer macbooks yet. Anyhow, if this is the case than you pro users are screwed - so I discount this theory, but its a fun one.

My last argument for multi-touch on existing platforms would be the ambiguity of the wording that Apple has been using since Tuesday about it.

As for the upgrades, the 10.5.2 release - I peg it to be between Noon Wednesday 1/23 and Noon Thursday 1/24 PST, without multi-touch (just a WAG). I do see it being available, but only after Air has been available for long enough for the die-hards to go pick it up in retail. Lets say beginning of March - but I bet its ready now (that we may never know).

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The MBP will never get thinner, no way to keep it powerful enough and keep it cool enough to use. It is a pro machine that needs more room to fit all the stuff inside. Technically the Air is the bottom of the line since it has the least stuff in it. The price point is deceiving.

19. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

20. katorga macrumors regular

I hope not. I hate wedges, and love the absolute flatness and consistency of the MBP shape.

I'd love to see the MBP run a LOT cooler, get a second DVI out or HDMI, and get an SD slot thought. An easily upgradeable disk would be nice too.

21. tirant macrumors newbie

I would kill for a 12/13.3 MBP... But we already got the MBA... so I think I should forget about that.

Anyway. What MBP need is lose some weight(200-400g), increase battery time (thanks to the new Penryn CPUs, I hope) and improve the small keyboard.

22. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I'll cast my MBP wish: $200 cheaper, a notch faster, a trifle cooler, a measure more power efficient, a smidgen thinner, noticeably lighter, a user change-able HD, and retain the matte screen for the love of god. When? I'll guess 3 to 5 months, enough time for all the MBA early adopters to get their machines, and the new tech to become cheap enough. Also, the designers, etc that have been doing up the MBA will now shift over to MBP, perhaps, and will need some time to rework things.
    I'll need a MBP (probably 15") this year for when I sell my iMac in readiness to change countries. Korea is getting pretty old... :rolleyes:

23. Shua macrumors regular

Sadly I doubt any extensive updates will happen until Oct/Nov when the new chipset is released.

The only expectation at this time is going to be the 45nm processor update. I doubt any other changes will happen. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see a larger update... but this is a rumor site.

Take everything with a grain of salt.

24. joemarioz thread starter macrumors member

joemarioz

im not a MBP guy im a MB Dont have that money!

they must do a significant update with the macbook pro but what about macbook? people like us who can´t afford a MBP or a MBA wan´t multitouch capabilities like the MBA users; Im a patient guy i can even wait until next macworld to get a MB with multitouch thinner etc. i hope we have it earlier like u all guys said but affordability for apple does NOT mean less tecnology!:apple:

25. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Huh??? Latch design aside (which I dont see what people have a problem with), but have you actually used the keyboard on the macbook??