Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
When will native 4.2.1 Jailbreak / Cydia software be available? Anyone know?

eckndu

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
Do I have to save anything, prep any files in order to jb later?

ie i recall I was asked to backup shsh file for 3gs

mine now is 3.2.2 not jailbreakable

do I just update in itunes?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Do I have to save anything, prep any files in order to jb later?

ie i recall I was asked to backup shsh file for 3gs

mine now is 3.2.2 not jailbreakable

do I just update in itunes?

All you have to do as with any jailbreak, just make sure to save your SHSH (using Tiny Umbrella). If you want to update and lose any Jailbreak, them go ahead and use iTunes. If you want to keep your Jailbreak just way for the tools to be released

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I was thinking to restore anyway for all the stuff I installed from cydia. It was getting a little bugsy so I was going to install everything again, so I'm just go ahead and do the 4.2.1 to see how it works...

UPDATE:
Damn! I forget to make a note of all my Sources! bah! I search for them again!

Cloysterpeteuk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
All this backing up my ssh blobs or whatever there called just goes straight over my head, I think i'll just upgrade then re-jailbreak it if the process is easy as lime rain one. Shame I will lose my Angry Birds saves and I guess i'll have to buy all my cydia apps again :mad:.

Most annoying thing is I don't even want any of the silly features 4.2 brings, but some of the new ios games are 4.2 only for iPad which is a major pain.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10)

Cloysterpeteuk said:
All this backing up my ssh blobs or whatever there called just goes straight over my head, I think i'll just upgrade then re-jailbreak it if the process is easy as lime rain one. Shame I will lose my Angry Birds saves and I guess i'll have to buy all my cydia apps again :mad:.

Most annoying thing is I don't even want any of the silly features 4.2 brings, but some of the new ios games are 4.2 only for iPad which is a major pain.

You will not have to buy your Cydia apps again. Just log in the first time you install a purchased app and Cydia will remember you.

As far as Angry Birds. You can do your regular iTunes backup and then restore after you upgrade. Personally, I prefer to restore as new, especially for big jumps in iOS.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
My bad...

For some reason I was under the impression that Limera1n etc were working and ready to be released but the developers were just waiting for Apple to release the official iOS update.

No rush...

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I get all the way to "./tetheredboot iBSS kernel" but then it gives an error

Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/****/Desktop/tetheredboot/./tetheredboot
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Any ideas

Where did you get the tethered boot file? Every walkthrough I tried, the links to that file were broken or not available anymore so I couldn't do the part you're on without it....

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
I wouldn't recommend trying it guys. I had problems and couldn't use the custom firmware again, it would start to flash and then would verify with apple and give an error. I had to use the legit firmware to get the ipad working again, so I'm on official with no jailbreak. I would wait for iphone dev, it will be later today or tomorrow anyway.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I wouldn't recommend trying it guys. I had problems and couldn't use the custom firmware again, it would start to flash and then would verify with apple and give an error. I had to use the legit firmware to get the ipad working again, so I'm on official with no jailbreak. I would wait for iphone dev, it will be later today or tomorrow anyway.
Agreed. I did it on my iPhone 4 and it was quite the pain to get working. It's fairly useless currently as almost no Cydia apps work in 4.2.1. The ones I tried crashed (My3G for one) my iPhone and caused me to restore. Just wait till Cydia's and some of the apps have been updated been updated.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
You can actually jailbreak the iPad now if you're hell bent on it and you're willing to go through hell to make it work. I rely on my iPad so much that I just went through it all. I have a mostly working jailbroken iPad only lacking My3G and MyWi.

Not bad all things considered. :)

Note: Yes Cydia and mobilesubstrate are working properly. It is tethered, but very worth it.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008

Your Cydia apps should recognize the purchase by your gmail or amazon id and the the hardware. It should download and install fine for cydia purchased apps. You'll go through the 'buy' process and it will notify you of your previous purchase and download without another charge (this has worked for me back with 3.0 on the iPhone). It should continue to work this way. Anyone to the contrary?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
No, it really is not out.....still tethered!

THIS HAS NOT CHANGED, BEWARE!

"The bad news is that right now, the 4.2.1 jailbreak is *tethered* on all of these recent devices. A tethered jailbreak means that each time your device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, you must attach it to a PC or Mac to boot into the jailbroken state."

I don't want a "mostly working iPad" I want a completely working Ipad and I for one will be waiting for the proper jailbreak!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
THIS HAS NOT CHANGED, BEWARE!

"The bad news is that right now, the 4.2.1 jailbreak is *tethered* on all of these recent devices. A tethered jailbreak means that each time your device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, you must attach it to a PC or Mac to boot into the jailbroken state."

I don't want a "mostly working iPad" I want a completely working Ipad and I for one will be waiting for the proper jailbreak!

I agree. It's just one of the downsides to jailbreaking. we should just all be very thankful for the dev team and comex's efforts to make it possible. Im sure it won't even be that long of a wait. And on the up side it gives time to app store developers to update their apps. This way when i finally do update to 4.2.1, my apps will mostly all be ready for it.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
What to expect for 3.2 JBed pads?

maturola said:
The day I know what the "FUTURE" holds, I promise I will share my wealth with you ;)

I guess I didn't ask very clearly. What I am wanting know is for those of us on jb 3.2, will a 4.2 jb upgrade a 3.2 to 4.2 all on one action?

Or, will we have to upgrade then jb? What has been the history in the past?

Thanks!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I guess I didn't ask very clearly. What I am wanting know is for those of us on jb 3.2, will a 4.2 jb upgrade a 3.2 to 4.2 all on one action?

Or, will we have to upgrade then jb? What has been the history in the past?

Thanks!

Yeah, there is such a thing as update all on one action, you always have to upgrade, and them Jailbreak, or update with a custom firmware (already Jailbroken) but still have re-install all your app and settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.