Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
osprey76 said:
Okay, your opinion is fact.
Oh wait, your opinion is informed, but that makes it not a fact. Which way is it going to be?

False dichotomy. My opinion is neither a property of the thing in itself, nor a subjective flight of fancy, but rather an objective evaluation of the facts. Firefox is faster, it is more compatible, therefore it is better. There is no contradiction.

osprey76 said:
Are you just looking to flame the message boards with this thread and your posts in it? All you have talked about is "better" and "worse" with a couple of speed issues thrown in. What do you want to be "better" about Safari? I shouldn't have even read this thread, but inane posts irk me. Either communicate effectively or don't create threads just to argue on them.

This is a good thread with a lot of good points made by intelligent people, why not join in and discuss your favorite browser instead of being hostile toward me?

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
I give my vote to Camino (check the sig). Firefox and Mozilla don't run well on my G3 ibook and Safari crashes too much for my liking. Camino is fast, has as many options as Safari, and is more compatible than Safari. If Camino had autofill and a better interface I'd be completly satisfied.

I'd love to use Safari and support Apple, but not if they're going to make second-rate software and live off their name and marketing like Microsoft.

kerb

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Lancashire UK
I use Safari most of the time because I can use backspace to go "Back" when browsing.

Is there a way to do this on Firefox? Doesn't seem to be a standard feature yet.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
kerb said:
I use Safari most of the time because I can use backspace to go "Back" when browsing.

Is there a way to do this on Firefox? Doesn't seem to be a standard feature yet.
Command + left arrow, AFAIK, is the only back shortcut in Firefox... my browser of choice on both platforms since it was called Phoenix ;)

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
Back and Forth

I've been going back and forth between the two browsers.

I like all of Firefox's features. The image/ad blocker feature is very nice. But I find Firefox to be just as fickle as Safari when it comes to not loading pages, or certain features.

A site I frequent all the time has drop down menus, and in Firefox I can't get them to stay open to click on the links. Whereas in Safari I can.

But I wanted to follow the hurricane and in Safari, it won't load the images from Weather Channel.com.

Overall I'm happy with Safari, and I never have it crash. When Firefox moves out of beta and into a full version I'll go back and check it out.

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
just tried out firefox...

Lately I've been getting annoyed at how Safari seems to 'hang up' when loading my Mac News tab:

MacRumors
MacMinute
Think Secret
MacNN
PalmInfoCenter
Slashdot

I just downloaded Firefox, themed it to 'Qute,' and created a bookmark set of the above. Then I 'loaded in tabs' in bot Safari and Firefox, twice (to make sure it was cached the second time around).

Results (from click to loading indicators stopping):

1st run:

Firefox: 4 seconds
Safari: 10 seconds

2nd run (cache)

Firefox: 6 seconds (odd)
Safari: 9 seconds

The worst FireFox score still beats the cached Safari score.

The machine is a Dual 1ghz Quicksilver, 1.5 gigs of RAM, on a cable modem. YMMV, but I think I'm going to browse a little more with FF. Also interested to see if it makes browsing on my 12" PB better...

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Odd, I have not had a single problem with Safari.

The only thing I do not like is, that I have been unable to find a way to make pop-ups visible on select sites (like forums)

Mike

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
I never knew that people had such problems with Safari. I have always used it and found it to be very stable and reliable. Occasionally I might come across a site that won't work so I use Firefox. I don't like how slow Firefox takes to launch as I tend to quit often and want quick access to the web when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.