When will the iPad 3 appear in Apple stores?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PerfectDB, Mar 2, 2012.

1. PerfectDB macrumors regular

How long does it usually take for a new Apple product to appear on display in their stores after it's been announced? Is it normally immediately after the announcement, or on launch day?

I'm hoping to buy the iPad 3 on day one :rolleyes:, but I have a feeling it may be a few weeks before it becomes available over here in the UK.

I'm just wondering if I'd be able to see one in the flesh before launch.

Anyone know what happened after past launches?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Obviously we don't know the answer.
    Also, there is a number of threads asking this exact same thing to which no one can answer. Check them out and go get some random replies.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Emphasis on the word "random", as in unfounded and arbitrary.

I don't quite understand questions like this one when everybody knows that nobody knows dick until Apple announces it, and answers to the question are always random and unfounded guesses.:)

5. Nightprowler macrumors regular

On a site called "MacRumors" I would think this is the exact thing to speculate on.

"A currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth"

So have at it.

Here's a rumor, I heard they could be available for purchase as soon as March 9th. Don't know if its true, North America only, or what, but take it as it is...a rumor.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

That would be awesome. I need an iPad. Never realized how much I used it until after I sold my iPad 2 a week ago. I can't wait until March 7 but I know that there will be a wait after that for the actual release. A 2 day delay is totally bearable.

7. PerfectDB thread starter macrumors regular

I know nobody but Apple knows when I'll be released.

I just wanted to get an idea if Apple usually puts a new product on display in their stores prior to a launch. I can't remember if that happened with previous ipod/iphone/ipad releases or not.

8. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Nobody knew this was coming, Best Buy didn't know- they tried to make me buy one. Good thing I took it back on the same day. Whoo. Close one. I know the 4S didn't show up as "demonstrations" in stores until like 3 weeks later.

9. falcora macrumors 6502

March 16th at 5pm. That's my best guest anyways.

10. Nightprowler, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

Nightprowler macrumors regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad#iPad_2

Apple's CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad 2, the second generation of the device, at a March 2, 2011

The iPad 2 has been available for purchase, depending on stock availability, since March 11, 2011, in the United States.... The iPad 2 was released internationally in 25 other countries on March 25, 2011

Falcora, you might be right...http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401090,00.asp was first saying the 9th but is now saying maybe the 16th...

...which would suck because I'm traveling on the 15th. Was hoping to get my paws on one beforehand.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

I think they close the store for an hour or so before launch to set up new displays for the new product and then they open the doors to the line that's waiting to buy it. So you won't be able go to a store and check it out before its actually released but I think you can bypass the line to play with the product display without buying it.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I would suggest that there is a difference between a rumor and a totally made-up, pulled it totally out of the air, pick a number..any number, statement. ;)

So I say March 11, 2012.

Remember, you heard it here first.:D

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Probably more than a day or two. On big products like the iPad Apple likes to let the big name reviewers have the product for a week so they can release early reviews the day before the product goes on sale.

Probably not more than a couple of weeks. Apple doesn't want to have a long period with low iPad sales because people are holding off for the newer model to be released.

I would guess probably about a week, maybe next Friday.

14. PerfectDB thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that might be the case:(

I was kind of hoping they would replace the iPad 2s on display for the 3 straight after the announcement. Even if it didn't go on sale straight away at least we could've got a look at it - oh well.

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

15. wirelessness macrumors 6502

They were not letting anyone in that hadn't waited in line at the Apple store near where I live for the iPad and iPhone 4S launches.

16. maclook macrumors 65816

I think they let people in at the Upper West Side store in NYC for the iPad 2. They have the display stuff upstairs and then the genius bar and register downstairs. People in line were directed downstairs to purchase the iPad and there was security making sure that nobody snuck downstairs that wasn't in line.

My memory is a little fuzzy but I think that's how it worked. I saw many people hanging out and checking out products when I left with my iPad.

----------

Wednesday can't come soon enough.....and then whatever the day the iPad is released can't come soon enough. My focus and productivity is about to take a major hit this week.

17. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You would have thought they'd have an app for these kinds of things, so as to avoid waiting in line.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Yeah, sorry. Apple has never done that. They do not display a device until its released. The only way to see it before would be to become a journalist, get a press invite, and look at the display immediately following the keynote at the convention center.

19. Built macrumors 68020

I bought my iPad 1 and iPad 2 at Apple Stores, but it looks like I will be buying the iPad 3 at Best Buy since I have about 600 bucks in Best Buy gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Based on what happened last year with the iPad 2 inventory at Best Buy stores, I guess I will be waiting a long time before I see the 3. :(

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

First day, might get lucky might not. You'll likely get what you want within a couple weeks though. It's not like waiting for a heart transplant, you will survive a couple weeks without an ipad3.

Last year's BB experiences: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113466

21. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Why would you have to wait a few weeks to get one in the UK? All you do is go early on the release day and queue. Best to reserve one if you can, though you can't always do that.

Hopefully you will be able to preorder online and have it sent on the release date. Much easier and less stressful.

22. sartios macrumors member

Fingers crossed.

23. PerfectDB thread starter macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, the UK got the iPad 1 & 2 a couple of weeks after the US, and the US launch was a week or 2 after the announcement. If past history holds true, it could be up to a month after the event before we see the iPad 3 over here:(

I'm hoping we'll see a simultaneous release this time around.

24. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Well it should be by the end of March. I forgot that the ipad 2 was released later in the UK last year. :eek:

25. k3roro macrumors 6502

I might be crazy but, assuming that they come out with a new iPad every year and you always want the latest and greatest, then waiting 2 weeks = 1/24th of the life of the iPad. If the iPad is worth $500 (base model), then this is almost 5% of the value of the iPad. I don't like waiting for the newest technology =\