When will the iPhone be as thin as the current iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Jul 24, 2011.

?

1. This year

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. By 2013

14 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. By 2015

18 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. Sometime after 2015

14 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Never

46 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Your guess is good as anyone's.

Unless Apple's prototypes get leaked out like it did in the past, no one usually outside of Apple executives really know much about new releases.

Even most Apple engineers don't know exactly what they are working on.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ugh. I hope not. :(

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. srxtr macrumors 6502a

The bigger question is when will the iPhone be as thin and small as a credit card??

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I can snap it in half?!?! :confused:

After a certain point, thin is just to thin.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I hope it isn't that thin, I need some sort of thickness to hold onto while texting and calling people. If it was that thin I'm pretty sure i would drop the phone constantly.

8. miamialley, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I imagine people would have said the same thing (about today's phones) in the 80s and 90s when people had those huge brick cell phones. It's hard to imagine it now, but it'll work when it happens.

9. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

God I hope not! my sister's iPod touch 4th gen is so hard for me to use due to no surface area to grip onto and I can't even qualify for having a giant hand. I'm really in love with the current iPhone 4 size, easy to hold and sexy:cool:

10. FortMOney macrumors member

hopefully never. I already need an otterbox for it to feel comfortable to me

11. srxtr macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't doubt some day we'll all have the option to own a cell phone small enough to keep in a wallet.

12. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I would sacrifice thinness for double battery capacity any day. My battery blows.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Hopefully never. You need to have something to hold onto. Like someone said before, I'd prefer extended battery life to a super-thin design, especially to one with ultra-thin tapered edges.

14. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I'd much rather my 4th gen ipod touch had the design of the iphone4 than what it currently has.

15. aleni macrumors 68020

nooo, the current iPhone 4's thickness is really good. i prefer more battery life than the thinner iPhone.

apple better to make their mbp line up thinner than now.

16. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

I hope never. I need something to grip. Besides, the iPod touch is wider and has less components to worry about to keep it thinner.

My ideal size for a phone in thickness is between 9mm - 12mm. Anything over 15mm like the Xperia Play (at 16mm), and that is a red flag.

My iPhone 4 is about 11-12mm with the Speck case on and officially 9.3mm without it. My Pixi Plus is about 10.9mm and that is thin enough for me already. Between 9mm -12mm is the sweet spot. The original RAZR was at 13.9mm and remember how amazingly thin that was to us back in the day for a flip phone?

18. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Thinner than this, and we'll have problems... Even an iPod Touch can feel wobbly in the hands while typing, ect. A device with these small dimensions needs some weight behind it. I hope Apple just fills future iPhones with more power and bigger batteries, and doesn't go with their usual "thinner, lighter!" strategy. iPads and MacBooks on the other hand... Make 'um thinner! (as long as new materials can be made so they're sturdier) They're wide enough that they don't need to be thick.

19. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

If it doesn't have tapered edges and slippery material like the current iPod touch, I'm happy with it being thinner.

20. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I hope it doesn't lol. That's a little too thin for me as a phone. I mean, I like both designs but I wouldn't want one design for both devices. I prefer having the freedom of choice ;)

21. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

There is a big difference between "brick phones of last decade and today's slim phones" and "today's slim phones and ultra-slim mp3 players". The brick phones were not ergonomically friendly. So isn't the ipod touch. I find it very hard to handle and i don't want the iPhone to go to the other extreme of ergonomically unfriendly.

A bit more slim is good but every thing has a limit for a reason. Mindless thinning of devices can only go so far before turning into an inconvenience.

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Like others have said, hopefully never

But who knows :)

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

Current iPod touch is 7.2mm thick

Samsung GSII is at 8.5mm

SE Xperia Arc is at 8.7mm

My guess is the iPhone 5 probably goes under 9mm thick from 8mm-8.5mm. Just be worried of overheating problems if it has a dual core chip inside of it. I hear the GSII can get pretty hot underneath and I can believe that rumor of the overheating issue the A5 has. I can live with 7.5mm-8mm IF it has a good balance of weight and it doesn't have sharp edges like the iPhone 4. And it doesn't overheat. But going for the 6mm range is too thin. I remember having both a first gen iPhone and iPod touch. While the iPod touch was thinner, I preferred the size of the first gen iPhone more because the width was shorter, it was slightly taller, and had a better balance in my hand. I can wrap it around easier than I did with the thinner and wider iPod touch.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The extra thickness in the iphone is from the components for the phone. Unless you know of a way to make thinner phone equipment that doesn't compromise call quality, you'll have to wait possibly past 2015.