When will the next 15" non-glossy be released/Pro vs Macbook advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tangerinedress, May 3, 2009.

1. tangerinedress macrumors newbie

anyone know when they next 15" sans gloss will be released. my ancient ibook died, and need a bigger screen for long protools hours. i see i am far from alone in my eyes being turned off by the gloss reflections i see in apple stores, so wondering how long i would have to wait for a new, improved model? 17" to pricey.

i see there is a company that provides matte, but seems like a whole lotta dough in the end. is the Pro really that worth it? Or will the next gen be very improved, so i can borrow a computer for now...

i am also considering just going macbook and getting a separate monitor (which does not cover portabe location use tho).

advice?

many thanks!!!
    tang dress

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There probably won't be another matte screened 15 incher until Apple changes their look. So not for another 5 or 6 years.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

An external monitor is the best way to go. For mobile use you don't have a choice unless you want the obligatory half-ass solution of a matte screen or the expensive conversion.

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Since they back-pedalled on the 17", I don't see why everyone is so negative about them doing the same with the 15". I'd say it's a possibility, but don't absolutely count on it.

5. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for all the advice! so, i guess the Macbook will run my protools/reason just fine... I guess it's just more in my head that i'd be happier in long computer hours with the silvery sweet Pro model and the expanded screen. Is it that much better a machine than the Macbook?

6. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Doesn't having an external monitor defeat the objective of a portable notebook a bit?

Love,
    Sn0wy

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. That's like saying, "doesn't putting a laptop on a desk defeat the objective of a portable notebook a bit?"

8. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I don't think Apple will release another matte screen Macintosh anytime soon.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple has a way of putting one or two must have features on their top of the line machines. Backlit keyboards used to be one of them; you had to buy the top of the line powerbook to get it, and it was kind of a mac status symbol.

I think it will be the same way for matte screens and the new improved batteries. Can apple tweak their design and manufacturing processes to put these features on its 15" macbook pros? Sure. But I think for now they'd rather keep these options off its $2000 dollar machines to encourage some to buy its $2800 machines.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Pro Tools runs like a dream on my UMBP. i use the 24"ACD as an external monitor but since you dont like glassy screens you should look into other monitors.

11. JD92, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They didn't backpedal. They just didn't remove the option.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

14. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I think apple will bring back the antiglare on the 15. but it might only be available on the high end model.

15. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I consider removing the option on the unibody 15" (which was the only unibody pro available at the time) and then introducing the 17" several months later with an option as backpedaling. If there wasn't an outcry about not having a matte option, they probably wouldn't have offered it.

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

It's a real shame they have got rid of the matte 15". I know I'll try keep my current MBP as long as possible for it's matte screen.

In saying that.... Since I moved to Australia I bought a nice big 24" iMac as my tv/computer/photo editing machine and I do kinda like the glossy screen.... Maybe I just have it in the right place in the apartment where it doesn't cause too much reflection.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They only offer it specifically to the highest paying customers, i.e. people who can afford the 17", and even then they charge some more for it, they even said that at the Macworld Keynote, so no, there wont be any on the 15"

18. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Matte will never be on the 15" again. Professionals are really the only people who want the matte option and most professionals want the 17" for the extra screen size so there is no reason for them to have matte on a 15". People fail to realize they sell millions of computers so the little 1% (if that) that cries for matte option your voice and complaints mean nothing on the grand scale of things. Regular people generly buy things that they consider the best. So the Pro in macbook pro is what makes everybody buy them. It just comes down to if you want a big screen or a smaller screen. Most of you tech guys think its some kind of privlage to own a mbp when really its not. Nobody cares what processor it has or ram and all that other shi@. As long as you can surf the web watch video and listen to music then thats all they want. Macs are popular now they are the new trend. So the sooner you guys realize that the sooner you will stop crying for matte on the 15". ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! Regular consumers think matte is ugly.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote on apple not releasing a matte display screen for the 15" MBP.

On the other hand, I went from a matte 15" MBP to a new unibody 15" MBP and was surprised at how good the screen really is. Like anything else YMMV because of your lighting conditions but for me, its not distracting, the colors pop and overall its an awesome computer.

I also don't think you'll see any major updates to the MBP until the release of the intel releases Clarksfield which isn't slated till fourth quarter 09 or first quarter 10.

Bottom line, if you need a laptop now, get the MBP, its an awesome computer, if you really need/want the matte display, then the 17" is your only option. Otherwise get the 15" because its a great computer
    [/fanboy]

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or, you can buy a prior gen 15" matte, buy applecare, and then pray to the deity of your choice every day for the health and well being of your nvidia video card.

21. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Oh weird, I guess they should remove the "pro" from the 15" then. I am not a graphics professional. I despise glassy. It's a personal choice, neither is better than the other. Don't kid yourself.

22. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

That's right.

Truth be told, you have 14 days to officially confirm that you hate it.

I think you'll wind up liking it if you give it a wholehearted chance. There's only one or two situations I've ever come to that the backlight could not defeat the ambient light or the glare was way too bad.

23. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

No, believe me, I don't like it. I had to work on some iMacs at school with glassy screens and found I had a harder time concentrating on the screen after extended periods of time (classroom, I can't control the lighting, just as in many places you take laptops.)

A point most make and don't actually think about is "just turn up the brightness!" Two problems with that:

1) More eye-strain in a shorter period of time
    2) Battery life!

I'm able to run my 15 matte at the lowest brightness setting in a lecture hall with horrible overhead lighting and not be distracted at all. Impossible with my eyes (and many others) with a glossy screen, let alone glassy. I didn't buy a two and a half thousand dollar machine to run out of batteries in the middle of a lecture and to fight with to see the screen.

24. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I've never seen them in real life, but what about the stick-on matte covers.

Going back to the thread's topic, I don't think they'll introduce a matte display for the 15" until there's another full redesign.

25. lordthistle macrumors 6502

After months of eye-strain caused by my reflection on the glassy screen, I added a stick-on matte cover. I prefer it to the glassy screen and I will never remove it, but the quality is lower than both the glassy and matte (previous-gen MBP) screens.

There isn't anything that can be used in place of a real matte panel offering the same quality.

I am sure that sooner or later the matte will be back also on the 15" model. If it won't, I think they will be forced to modify the glassy screen, may be moving towards the MBA AR coaing.

-- thistle