When will the SIM-free iPhone 5S be avaliable in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasJL, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ThomasJL, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

In the U.S., only the iPhone 5C is available in a SIM-free model. The SIM-free iPhone 5S is already available in several countries, but not in the U.S. Does anyone here know or have any educated guesses when a SIM-free iPhone 5S will be available in the U.S.?

(Note: I am not interested in buying an iPhone 5S with a carrier name attached to it, even if it is unlocked. I am only interested in a SIM-free iPhone 5S.)

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You can purchase the "SIM-Free" iPhone 5S at the Apple store now.

Even according to Apple.com, the unlocked/T-Mobile variants are the same.

However, the best one to buy would be the VZW iPhone5S at full price. Who cares if you bought the VZW model. It doesn't say it on the phone anywhere. It has all the LTE bands you need for AT&T, VZW, and TMobile. Also supports various bands in the US. Truly a worldwide device.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Where exactly is the carrier name attached to the phone if it is unlocked?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. Go to an Apple Store
    2. Ask for AT&T model in the color and capacity wanted
    3. Ask for the sale to be "Device Only" or "No Commitment Pricing"
    4. Pay
    5. Enjoy unlocked iPhone 5S.

5. Akack, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Akack macrumors 6502a

I know this may come as a shock to you but an unlocked 5s has been avail since day one.

Just buy any carrier 5s ( except Sprint ) at full price device only DIRECTLY off apple.com or from an actual store and it will be unlocked.

If it bothers you that much to have the carrier sim included just toss out the sim and put your SIM card afterwards.

6. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

+1

Been enjoying my unlocked 5S since launch day (aka AT&T Full price)

7. Coleman2010, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

There is no carrier branding on the iPhone. So no, if you buy device only from an apple retail store it will not be attached to a carrier. You are buying the device only! All device only purchases (AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile) from the apple retail store are unlocked.

8. Mac-eternal macrumors newbie

I would say never, it's been months. And it never came.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You still do realize, no iPhone has a carrier brand name attached to it? The AT&T model is the A1533, which pretty much is global. You can check out Apple's website for more information regarding what each model of the iPhone brings to the table.

However, I would highly suggest you drop your "Not interested in carrier name" as it just pointless given that you can already buy one unlocked.

10. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I said in the first post in this thread, "I am not interested in buying an iPhone 5S with a carrier name attached to it, even if it is unlocked. I am only interested in a SIM-free iPhone 5S."

I already know that the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon iPhone 5S can be used unlocked, but I am not interested in buying one. I am only interested in buying the officially "SIM-free" iPhone 5S.

Look at Apple's U.S. page for the iPhone 5C. There is an official "SIM-free" version:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5c/32gb-blue-unlocked
    The last choice is "Choose T-Mobile or SIM-free".

Now look at Apple's U.S. page for the iPhone 5S:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s/64gb-space-gray-t-mobile
    There is no SIM-free option, and the only choice is "T-Mobile contract-free." I am not interested in that, even if it happens to be unlocked.

If you want to know why, this is the reason: Many people have said that they had no problems with buying an iPhone 5S with a carriers name attached to it and using it unlocked, but at the same time, many other people have said they had problems with unlocking a phone with the T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon/Sprint name attached to it on their receipt. That is why I am only interested in an officially labeled "SIM-free" iPhone 5S. I plan to activate my phone overseas with local SIM cards, and I want to be 100% sure to not have any issues. Without a doubt, I can do that with an officially labeled "SIM-free" iPhone. I cannot afford to take any risks, and I don't feel comfortable with any other type of phone.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can also do that with Verizon iPhone 5 or 5S as it's a world iPhone that supports all LTE bands.

12. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The only time the iPhone is locked to a provider is when it is purchased with a contract or directly from the carrier.

Any T-Mobile iPhone 5s or 5s purchased DEVICE ONLY from Apple retail IS UNLOCKED! There is no difference. But if you want to wait until the "official SIM free" 5s is released go ahead. Just stop posting threads about it like it's some big deal. It's the same phone.

13. MagnusF macrumors regular

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, that's not exactly true. While the iPhone itself doesn't have any carrier markings on it the carrier its sold under is attached to the IMEI number and will pop up on IMEI checkers.

This could be misunderstood during resale in some markets.

15. JayLenochiniMac, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP wants a world iPhone and T-Mobile won't fit the bill as it doesn't support all LTE bands (like at&t). He needs to get the Verizon one.

Edit: Above applies only to iPhone 5. at&t, T-Mobile and Verizon iPhone 5s are world iPhones.

16. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The VZW iPhone 5S doesn't even come locked, so you should be 100% fine.

17. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. I'm glad you understand what I'm talking about.

I care about resale value, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of explaining to a potential buyer (especially someone overseas) whether or not a phone sold with a carrier's name on the receipt is the same as an official "SIM-free" version. I also do not want the IMEI number connected in any way with a carrier. I don't care if the carrier versions are unlocked and I don't care if they have the exact same functionality as the official "SIM-free" version because I am ONLY interested in buying the official "SIM-free" version.

If anyone has any educated guesses on when the official "SIM-free" iPhone 5S will be released in the U.S., please post.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Why?

19. MagnusF macrumors regular

That is incorrect. The AT&T and T-mobile are both the A1533 model.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It works all around the world.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I stand corrected. So only Verizon iPhone 5 is a world iPhone, whereas at&t, T-Mobile and Verizon iPhone 5s are world iPhones.

What model number is this "SIM-free iPhone 5S" that the OP wants?

21. keitarou macrumors 6502

Why not just pick up the phone in the other country? You stated that foreign countries already have SIM free version.

Usually it's one month after the phones were released but in the case of iPhone 5S, with limited supplies, I would say once the ship date changes to 1-2 days it will be made available.

22. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

This is a silly thread. The Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T iPhone 5s's are unlocked if you buy them at full price from Apple.

Apple won't sell a "SIM-free" 5s because it's the same thing as buying one at full price. Call a store and ask.

23. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon iPhone 5s are all the same model. Only the Verizon version has CDMA enabled.

----------

A Guess? 68 days, 10 hours and 25 minutes from now.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

I ordered the Unlocked iPhone 5S from Apple.com on day 1. You know the one that says UNLOCKED and includes a Tmobile Sim (that you can just toss if you're not using TMO). If you choose to wait for something that's been available since launch, then that's your silly mistake.

25. MagnusF macrumors regular

My guess is A1533!

But you must realize, there is no 5s that will work on ALL LTE bands.

Model A1457 only works on 7 bands (Europe)

Model A1453 works on 13 bands (USA & Japan)

Model A1533 works on 11 bands (USA & Canada)

Model A1530 works on 10 bands (Asia market)