When will there be new MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, May 20, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I am curious when the new MacBook Pros will come out. Does anyone have any predictions? There are very few relevant rumors on this site. Sources tend to predict the MacBook will come out in Q3, as in July to September, which makes sense, but when will the MacBook Pro come out? I really hope it comes out in June, with a Montevina chip. Is that possible? When are the Montevina mobile chips going to hit the market?

2. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

They'll be here when they get here.... And not before... Or something...
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3. Skyldig macrumors regular

As i recall, Montevina is expected to hit the markets at 3rd of june, so there is a chance that we'll see new MBP's in WWDC (9-13th of june).
    There are rumors about a june release, but as many others say, the MBP just got updated in feb, so a june-update will be quite early.
    That being said, it has happened before (3 months betwen updates), so my guess is that we'll see new MBP's in june or july.

Anyway... my guess is as good as anyones... only Steve knows for sure!

4. bbbensen macrumors 6502

This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....
    This Tuesday....

*twitch*

5. wchong macrumors 6502

we all know that the feb refresh was minimal and forced. an update in june would mean a major update since last major revision (nov 07 as i recall). that's about 7-8 months. besides, the damn case needs a redesign... badly

6. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

and whats wrong with the current case?

when you find a nicer looking notebook out there let me know

and for the OP..if you use MRoogle (see my sig for link) and search for "new macbook pros" you will find lots and lots of threads on mbp rumors

like the one i pulled all of these links from
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=476791
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=472334
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=469715
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=462782
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=469961
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=472546

8. johngardiner macrumors regular

There are a ton of threads on this, basically the jist is:

- they may come out in june during WWDC, if so my guess is that they would be announced during Jobs's keynote so keep an eye on that
    - If not WWDC, sometime in July or August to make sure they hit the back to school rush
    - And for some reason if not then it will probably be into september, but this is not very likely

9. buyusfear macrumors 6502

I just bought a MBP. Thought long and hard. Figured it wasn't worth waiting for several reasons.

I really love the current version.
    And I gennerally like to wait a bit after a new model is released, as first gen stuff always has more bugs then as the model breathes for a bit. Meanin, how long would I have had to wait to buy one after the "alleged" New MBP????
    And if nothing happens in June? I've waited that long, may as well wait until the next keynote? Then if thats when it happens I still gotta wait out the first gen era so as not to buy a lemon..

Now's a perfect time to buy a MBP IMO.

I didn't really need the MBP, but for the same reasons above, i'm pretty sure then next thing to get a makeover is the MB. So that's another reason why I forked over the extra coin for the MBP.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or you could wait for the new ones and then buy the this gen notebooks as refurbished/clearance.

11. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Its going to be before the school year. Personally, i think before August.

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

Steve just called. He said they are running a little late, look for them around 3pm.

13. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Hopefully...

... as soon as :apple: is ready to introduce a compelling reason beyond a case redesign. I am more interested in improved internals like Blu Ray and a true HD option screen on a 15 inch MBP.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As far as I now the only 1900x1200 panels they make for a 15" is S-IPS and it's about $1000. Do you really want to spend $1000 on a better display at 15"?

15. Skyldig macrumors regular

Wauw... thats alot. They could make it optional, like the SSD in the Air. That was expensive to.

Anyway... i hope Apple realises that 1680x1050 is standard in 15.4" notebooks now. Even in computers under $1500.

16. mox123 macrumors 6502

is there a standard definition on resolution for a HD display?

for TVs, 720p is considered HD, right? but that only equates to a resolution of only about 1300 x 900-something, no?

So even the resolution of the current 15" widescreen display would surpass that, no?

17. Eric. macrumors regular

True HD is considered to be 1920x1080 (1080p). I know I'd be satisfied to have 1680x1050 in the MBP update.

18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

even $899 computers have 320 gb hard drives which is kinda sad. the only thing spec wise that is better than pc's are the processors which are way more powerful than pc counterparts

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just found a QUXGA 15" panel they sell for $1500. Man I want that! :eek:

20. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

That was MacBooks, not MBPs. :p Last year's MacBook Pro update happened in June I think (The Santa Rosa, 2.4GHz with LED)

I both hope and expect it to arrive before October (I'll need it by then at latest :D), but who knows.

21. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. I don't think I'd want to deal with the problems that can come from a Rev. A product. I'll just let my Penryn do me for a few years and then upgrade later. By then, technology should have taken a huge leap and it'll be worth it to upgrade.

I'll just have to convince the wife that I'll need a new MBP more than she'll need a new iMac. :)

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I agree. The current case is a good one.

FWIW, for those who don't think that the case has changed in the past few years, put a PB15 beside a MBP15 for example, and just look how much the case has changed even though it looks similar. Easy to see changes. The MBP:

- is wider and thinner.
    - battery is located in the center.
    - memory slot is located in the center combined with the battery slot.
    - has a lower optical drive slot.
    - has no modem connector.
    - has PCI express card slot.
    - has no S-Video out.
    - has an iSight.
    - speaker grill is different.
    - trackpad is different.

Granted none of these are earth shattering, but do show evolutionary changes are taking place.

23. whatwereusaying macrumors newbie

Mac people are ever fascinating.

I'm buying a SR/Penryn MBP tomorrow.

Yes, I know what's coming out in a matter of weeks.

Montevina is hype. It's all going to be not-as-good in a matter of months anyway. Santa Rosa will hold me over just fine until Westmere... or even Sandy Bridge. And, at least I know in advance what its flaws are.

I've been a PC guy until recently. I'm not 100% converted... but I do love my Mac Pro.

I guess I've grown out of NEEDING the newest hottest fastest (apply your wildest fantasy here)... Whatever will do the job to my satisfaction is fine. I can't think of a life-or-death situation in which i would need an app to open .0005 sec sooner.

I just don't understand the big deal Mac snobs (great machines, don't misunderstand me) are making about the Montevina platform. It's got a warmed-over Penryn processor, a slightly faster bus, and room for a whole new set of bugs leading to hours troubleshooting with Apple Care.

"but the new case nobody has seen yet seen will be so pretty!!!"

24. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'm in the Apple Store right now about to plunge for a 2.4 MBP!

I can't hold out until WWDC, and I figure if something new comes out at WWDC, I'm within the 2 week returns policy window anyway! No such thing as a restocking fee here in the UK :D