When will they fix the AEBS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superspiffy, Nov 16, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

With the flood of updates across the board, when are we finally gonna see an AEBS update so it'll be finally safe to reconnect my Airport disk?

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Waiting on the same thing... pain in the butt.. sometimes it makes me feel like I wasted the money on the AEBS when I could have gotten a much cheaper router that does the same thing.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

My Airport disk was working fine with 10.5. The 10.5.1 updater broke it. Fortunately, I only did the update on one computer; our other three (10.5) all see the Airport disk. Unfortunately, the update was done on our Mac that syncs with our Apple TV. It's DOA for now, and I don't want to have to take the Airport disk off of the AEBSn. It's a real pain in the @$$.

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

My air disk works fine in 10.5.1. I had a problem at first where I had to cmd-k to connect to it to see my Air disk.. but then after a reboot it came up detected from the get go and properly authenticates my user.

5. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Caveman and Mindflux... you guys have the non-gigabit AEBS, correct?

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have the non-Gigabit AEBS (two of them actually) and with Leopard my Airport disk has gone from flakey to useless.

I wish I had just stayed with LinkSys, but I got suckered by the using Airdisk with Time Machine marketing.

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I was planning on getting an AEBS. Even got a external HD of the same form factor to use with Time Machine. But all the complaints I've read have cooled my wallet, for now.

When they fix the firmware, get TM working with it, AND I see some good feedback here, I'm sure I'll buy it. But not right now.

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

My first AEBSn was a dud. Dropped WLAN connections out the arse. Air disk would umount itself whenever it wanted.

Returned it for another, this one is fine. No dropped connections, Air disk stays mounted to timbuktu and back.

:apple:

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I go to my Finder sidebar, select the AEBS and it just shows "Connecting..." forever. The "Connect As..." button does nothing...no response...nadda...zilch.

Like I said earlier...totally useless. I'm going to probably dump these soon and get something that works.

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I had this, I deleted my keychains for the base station. I also hooked the drive directly up to my laptop ( win xp ) and had macdrive7 correct the drive (it said it contained errors). I also renamed the volume and re-plugged it into my AEBSn. This fixed the problem of mounting on my PC (as of 10.5.1 oddly enough) and it fixed it for my iMac as well. I can browse it as usual after these things were done.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have the first version of the AEBSn (no gigabit).

13. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I have a gigabit version.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

No, that doesn't help. It's so hopelessly broken it isn't funny. If I have time today I'm headed over to Best Buy to get some kind of working solution. Then I'll probably Craigslist my two AEBS. I'll keep the Airport Express since it's useful for my iPhone and to use in hotels, etc that only have wired internet.

Not only does the Airport disk not work for me in Leopard, but these problems render it useless for my wife's MBP running Tiger. I did have her on automated backups using the .Mac Backup program, but that's now completely unreliable as well.

Apple really needs to get it together on the AEBS because it's pretty pathetic at the moment.

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Did you try all those steps? The keychains didn't help me, but repairing the disk (macdrive7 on my XP machine said it needed repair) and then renaming the drive label and hooking it back up worked for me. I also changed the password to access the drive (I just use password based access).

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Nothing I do helps one iota. Before Leopard, I could access the disk. It was flakey in the sense it would disconnect now and then, but now it connects only now and then. I give up. The AEBS is going to be history. In hindsight it was dumb of me to switch from LinkSys. On a scale it 1-10 it was 9 while AEBS is 2-3 in terms of reliability, robustness, etc.

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Apple stuff "Just Work™", rather than disconnect randomly what you are experiencing is merely Apple's superior code preventing you from connecting in conditions that would have resulted in a disconnect.

18. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Found this just posted on apple's discussion boards.

19. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Tried it, and that did nothing. My Shared panel shows my AEBS and I still can't access the disk.

Networking is just not Apple's strong suit. Lesson learned: use something else for networking, save money in the process.

20. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Whew - reading this makes me glad I didn't re-purchase an AEX yet. I returned mine in May 2007 or so because of the crappy AirDisk functionality locking the unit up or hanging on large rsyncs (probably the same issues that Apple found which caused official Time Machine support to be removed). I also bought a miniStack v2 external drive just to go with the AEX.

It sounds like it's still worthless as a NAS. What a shame - I loved the 5GHz wireless...

21. InfiniteLoop macrumors member

Same here, nothing works. I have the gigabit version and I already spent too much time trying to get it working. These problems hit the AEBS something like 6 months ago (may be more). Shame on Apple for selling broken products. I think I'll call macmall on Monday and return it.

22. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Cross post from a another thread.
    My experiences with AEBS and Apple

23. srexy macrumors 6502a

I agree that the AEBS is a pile of steaming crap - however I have had good luck w/my airport disks once I reinstalled the 7.1.1 firmware through airport utility. I still have to restart the base station every couple of days because it drops my printer but I'm well out of my return window so I'll just soldier on and hope that Apple releases some useful firmware update some time soon.

Edit: here's the post that got me back on 7.1.1
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1155412&tstart=0

Edit 2: I'm pretty sure that my BS is the non-gigabit version so my advice might be completely moot - sorry.

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I've done two things to improve my situation with Airport disks under leopard.

1) reverted my AEBS firmware to 7.1.1
    2) Under Finder preferences > General, I select the "Connected Servers" checkbox to show Airport disk icons on the desktop.

It's still flakey, but much better than it was.

25. McGiord, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord