When will we see a 32 gig iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeyTree, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I've decided to buy an iphone, but if at all possible I would like to get a 32 gig version. I realize that Apple probably won't release a new "generation" of iPhone for six months to a year, but I'm wondering whether it's predicted that they'll release a memory boost. Either by upgrading the current options, or by releasing a $399 32 gig version on top of the current 8 and 16 gig versions.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sure, the 16gb upgrade was a surprise so this one may be too. It may hit right before the holiday season to spur sales. If there isn't one by Black Friday, I'd say MWSF is your next best bet.

3. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Another one of these threads??? No one knows for sure other than Apple. If you are always holding out for the latest technology, you will never own anything! It changes to fast. Just purchase the iPhone 16gb and enjoy what so many already have.

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I wonder how many threads there are going to be on this?

5. pdaviesoz macrumors newbie

pdaviesoz

32 Gb iphone soon

I was told by an Optus Australia employee that they will be receiving the 32GB iphone very soon - she thought as early as this week. They are out of 8 Gb models and most 16 GB as well.

PauLD

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Backup times would go back to hours on it. Maybe.

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Confirmed

My friend works at an Apple store and they have arrived at the store to be put on shelves on Friday.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

We have no proof that pig is flying! It could be frolicking through a field of bed sheets! :mad:

10. MikeyTree thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not holding out for "the latest technology," I'm holding out for 32 gigs of memory. ;) I know how much space I would ideally like to have for music and videos, and 16 gigs is pushing it. If it's only going to be a couple months, I can wait.

I'm sorry if there have been a lot of threads about this. I did a search for threads with "32" in the title but there weren't any. Apparently I should have done an old-fashioned "eyeball 1.0" search too.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Eventually there will be one. Now or before holidays? Definitely not. SOmetime between February and April? probably yeah.

12. moka macrumors 6502a

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, it's coming out next Tuesday.

Or the next Tuesday.

Or the next one.

Or the next one.

Or the next one.

14. qwanza macrumors member

Don't you think Apple have to fix the iPhone's software before they release more iPhones?

15. maxxscholten macrumors regular

It hasn't stopped them so far :rolleyes:

16. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The 32 Ging model? It was released yesterday in New Zealand.. Didn't you hear??

;)

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My guess would be in the first half of next year. I just hope they don't make it $399 as if the price of flash NEVER drops. Just come out with a $199, $249, $299 lineup. The extra flash doesn't cost near as much as the markup, so shrinking the price gaps wouldn't be killer.

18. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

woohoo

Iam getting 16gig one two weeks later. So fxxxxx excited dudes!!

19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'm under the impression that the iPod touch uses two chips to get 32 gig (16 * 2)

And there is only space for one in the iPhone 3G anyway, so the touch would need to get an upgrade to 64 gig before Apple could fit one 32 gig chip into the iPhone.

If i'm wrong please correct me!

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think you're wrong, but the iPod touch doesn't need the upgrade *before* the iPhone gets one. I'm pretty sure there are now 32GB flash chips, so it can be done. When Apple thinks it's safe enough to not have the horde of "I JUST BOUGHT A 16GB IPHONE AT THAT PRICE!" whiners again, then they'll probably release it.

My whole theory on doing it at Macworld 09 is because unless they've got some new product, there won't really be much of hype to present outside of Snow Leopard.

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

yeah but an 32 gig flash drive is quite expensive right now?
    And if Apple wants to release a new iPhone at macworld they need to start produce them yesterday right?

22. sparkyms macrumors 65816

not if its just a refresh like storage boost.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

24. SoupyFlow macrumors member

Arg, I'm another one of those 1st Gen iPhone users who is waiting for the 32GB 3G version. I've got the 1st Gen 16GB iPhone now, but I don't really think it's worth upgrading for just 3G and GPS, another 16GBs added in would make the upgrade well worth it.

When the iPhone first came out I was hesitant to get it since it only came in 4GB and 8GB, and decided to wait for a higher storage version, which eventually came out and I bought the 16GB version in Feb 08. I think what I'm afraid of is by the time the 32GB version comes out it will only be a few months away from the "next gen" iPhone's release date haha. :p