When you no longer have the latest and greatest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Liquinn Suspended

2. offthehook macrumors member

rocking a 13'' mbp from 2009 and still love it. recently installed a samsung 840 ssd and moved the hdd to the optibay. already maxed out the ram in 2010 (8 gigs).
    it does everything I want it to for me (work-related, I'm a graphics designer , and private)

so no hard feelings at all. hope to get another 2 years out of it

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I buy a new computer every year or two and a new mobile phone every two years. I've never really felt like I was missing out on anything. I think it is really just the niche enthusiasts that suffer from this condition.

5. adnbek, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I think you do too.

----------

Don't care. I replaced my PC that I bought in 2005 2 years ago when I got the Mac Mini 2011. I'll probably keep the Mini until it starts to show its age.

Same for phones. I have the iPhone 5, upgraded from a 4. Before that, I was rocking a flip phone I had for several years. I love the iPad mini except the lack of Retina. I'd only upgrade for that, then probably keep it for a few years as well. I don't care about the latest and greatest. I care for what works for me.

Same with the new PS4. I won't buy it till there's a game I really need to play and not available on PS3. (probably GTA 6:p)

6. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I just got the base cMBP. So by your definition, even buying a new machine, I do not have the latest and greatest.

I'm more than fine with it. I had to get a new one as the misses was monopolizing my 2.53Ghz C2D MBP. We both could be happy with our current setups now for a many years to come.

I think your real question is, how many here had a iPad3 and pitched a fit when the 4 came out? Or how many people would have pitched in that situation?

7. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

Still going strong with my early 2011 15" 2GHz MBP; the fact that I added an SSD & 16GB RAM makes it "fly" even further :D

8. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

ehhhh, it's hard staying on top of the tech world...It's a Vicious Cycle i tell ya!

I just got my rMBP a few weeks ago, and it'll chug along for at least the next 2 years or so...

However it's a different story when it comes to things like Phones and Tablets.

Because I'm invested in both Apple & Androids eco system, I'll probably change phones and tablets a few times this year, it's early in the year amd I can already tell you that I'm good for at least 4 different phones and at least 2 other tablets...

For Apple- iphone 5S or 6 (whatever they call it), Retina ipad mini.

For Android- HTC One, Galaxy S4, nexus 5, & the next nexus tablet.

lol, Its hard keeping up!

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I realize that I have a fully capable machine that does what I ask it to do flawlessly.

10. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

I know my rMBP will be outdated later this year, but then again I still have a 4-year old MBP at home that works great. :)

11. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Yes you do have the latest and the greatest - my two cMBPs are the newest cMBPs out aren't they?

12. trikky macrumors regular

I just get myself a new wife...

13. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

One of the small reasons why I took back my 2012 cMBP for a 2012 rMBP. At least it looks like the newest ;)

14. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Disregard. I forgot I am a gentlemen.

15. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

I never care if I have the latest and greatest or not, I prefer to spend the money elsewhere and buy what suits my needs. Such as how I'm on the lookout for a Powermac G5 Quad for my main machine.

16. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

As long as the 2010 cmbp is running strong with ssd and ram upgraded, is apple going to beat me up for not buying new stuff ? I would consider buying when I need it.

17. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

When I buy certain products (mainly tech wise) I know it'll not be up to date for too long so I really don't care it's not the most recent one. I own a mid 2012 rMBP and, when I bought it, I thought about keeping it for, at least, 5 years before buying a new one. And I know it'll do great for 5 years and maybe more.

On the other hand, I waited a long time for the rMBP. Not that I knew what it would be but rumors indicated that there would be a redesign so I waited for them for almost a year. If I had bought the last cMBPs (before Retina) I would be crying right now :D

Smartphones wise, I keep them for 2.5 years tops before buying a new one.

18. David58117 macrumors 65816

Jut bought a cMBP 13" (and i7 mac mini) - very happy so far!

Retina is nice and I definitely see a difference when side by side, but it's unnecessary at this time, for my purpose (audio production).

I'm coming from a self built windows desktop that's 5 years old this year. Time for an upgrade cycle, and this year I switched to all macs.

19. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

The latest? yes. But the base model isn't the greatest, IMHO. That would go to the upgraded CPU, and in the case of the retina's the display as well.

That is why I stated it the way I did.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Considering that tech is outdated before it hits the shelves that's a sad, sad life a lot of you are leading.

21. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

quoted for truth

22. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Don't care. I know people who are still running Tiger on their Intel MacBooks/Pros (yes Tiger). Buy a computer based on the specs and tools you need, not just because it's newer.

23. Krauser macrumors regular

'08 MacBook still kickin. Thing's a tank. I honestly never felt bad about it being replaced or surpassed. It's not changing how good the laptop is. In fact, the only reason I got a little irked wasn't because it was rendered "obsolete" by Mac standards, but because the new ones got a price drop :p