Where are my Steam game files?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Jphilippon, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jphilippon macrumors member

So I want to move my Steam games to another partition of my hard drive, but I don't know where they are! Dx

The files, or shortcuts (it seems), are <300kb and the Steam application itself is <200mb, but obviously these are not the files for the actual games themselves, as I remember downloading CS which was ~4gb, HL2 which was ~1.5, and Portal, around ~1.5 as well.

Anyone know? Thanks!

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Steam

3. Jphilippon thread starter macrumors member

If I move these files from Application Support onto the partition, (to the point where there are no steam files on the original "partition") will the games still run fine? I only worry because I'm messing with Application Support, which I have never done :X

EDIT: After moving Application Support/Steam to HD2, Steam tries to re-download the entire file again to Application Support/Steam in HD1, where it was originally. Help!! :O

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Move folder and then symlink from /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Steam to the new location.

5. buklau macrumors newbie

I don't have Steam installed on OS X, but I can tell you that in the Windows version, Steam downloads HL2 derived games (HL2, HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2, CS:S, TF2, DOD:S, Portal etc.) into giant .gcf content 'chunks' that are all located together in a giant folder, separate from the settings folders that are typically as small as you described. All other games (L4D, L4D2, Alien Swarm, or any non-Valve developed game) have small .ncf content 'chunk's in that giant folder with the bulk of their content being placed into the settings folders that are normally really small.

So it's possible that the content of your games may not be installed in obvious directories or all together in one nice folder.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

7. urbanman2004 macrumors member

urbanman2004

I know this is an old thread, but thanks man I owe u one