Where are the big games at?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by tullerosj408, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tullerosj408 macrumors newbie

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

The Mac developers and porting houses are all quiet now figuring out what they're going to do with Metal.

Dare I say it's the calm before the storm?

I think so.

3. 960design macrumors 68000

Just keep buying mac... the tide has turned. There are more and more macs, development is streamlined, ect. The weakness now is simple pride. The older generation has extremely talented C developers, unfortunately we don't need them. It's tough to get them to switch houses and dive into something unknown. Games make more than movies, times are changing.

Like this:

Or this:

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Hmmm ... all I know is that some of the best games in recent years are all on Mac: Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin. Mac gaming is in the best state I have ever known for the Mac ... and I have had Apple products continuously since buying myself a new Apple ][+ with part-time job money in high school :)

5. jmelrose macrumors regular

And kudos to the WL2 and PoE teams for staying the course, where D:OS-EE is simply a 4-5 weeks, unless something comes up (see their recent kickstarter video) and D:OS2 is not currently slated for Mac. Larian has tasted the sweet sweet console game nectar.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Nott to sound snarky, but for every Mac game, there ar 10 gems, the Mac never sees, which could be good enough. Right now I'd point at Armored Warfare and ARK: Survival Evolved, World of Tanks, Space Engineers, and others I'm too lazy to remember. ;)

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Not disagreeing at all - I mean, there is a reason I have always maintained a PC for gaming as well as a Mac for other stuff. My point was that there have been 'doom & gloom' threads forever (since it was on USENET before the web even) ... and honestly this is about the best time to be a Mac gamer.

Could it be better? Sure! I mean, in the US the Mac holds >15% of the PC population, but it is up to gamers to turn that into $$ to bring the developers.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree, Mac gaming is the best it's ever been, a slice of the biggest games appear on the Mac due to game developers and Mac porters. However, upon the advent of Bootcamp (thank you, thank you Apple :)) I basically abandoned MacOS gaming to harvest the best gaming performance possible from my Mac hardware when traveling, using my MBP. Of interest, my MBP has been so good for gaming, I used it exclusively for 3 years as my only computer, for gaming and the more important things I do while using the MacOS. :)

9. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

ARK has a native Mac version. And WoT at least a Cider port.

10. Irishman macrumors 68030

How well does ARK perform framerate wise in OS X El Cap? Does Steam overlay work so you can check framerate?

11. Huntn, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the correction! I even installed the Mac version. :oops:

I tried ARK under Windows 7 (Bootcamp) and Yosemite on my 2011 MBP (see sig) and it performed equally poorly on both OSs. ;) I'm really curious how it runs on the new top of the line MBPs, anyone?

12. Irishman macrumors 68030

At least the developer isn't singling out OS X for poor optimization.

That seemed to have been a problem with it since it was in early access.

Shame.

13. Huntn, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is this talk of optimization for ARK down the road. If you look at my PC specs, that runs the game in the neighborhood of 30-50fps with high-ultra graphic settings. I recently upgraded my graphic card, before a GTX 760 (2GB cram) and that had about the same FPS performance but at low-med settings.