Where are the high paying future jobs at?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Jan 12, 2011.

1. macswitcha2, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

It's hard to not get discourage when you hear people saying a particular job market is slim. For instance, I plan to go to Law school because I believe my skills can flourish there and I can make some decent money. But, I don't want to put in the hard work, take the grueling Bar Exam, to have trouble finding work or make less than something else I can invest in, and in three to two years make good pay.

So, where are they? Is computer software developing where its at? Should I run my own business?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're not going to get very far in any field if you don't want to do any work. Is that not completely obvious? In very few fields do you start rolling in the dough immediately out of college or your Masters' degree.

Recent NYT article on law schools:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

If you don’t want to put in the ‘hard work’ for law school, I would look somewhere else.

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Where in my post did I insinuate that I don't want to work hard? I'm a hard worker by nature. Where I'm from nothing comes easy. If you had read carefully, rather than lazy, the irony, you would have understood that I was questioning working hard and getting nothing in return. Sheesh, I wonder how old people are on here sometimes.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Skilled trades are in demand.

Millrights, electricians, machinists, plumbers, tool and die makers, etc.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

China.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's one ****ing depressing article.

8. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Oh, right HERE!

Personally, I think you have a HUGE future as a couch-sitter.

No really, the adage, "Nothing worth getting is ever easy." applies here. If you want something badly enough, you can achieve it. In this country anyway. Hell, you can change the world if you want to do so. Just ask Jobs or Gates. They wanted to badly enough. Worked incredibly hard for no pay an no promise of success, much less comfort, and they changed the direction of the entire world.

If you don't want to work hard, there's no limit to what you can't do.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

10. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    HAHAHA POTD! Thank you for the laugh.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it is sad but it shows you how we all get cheated and basically rob of our money and no one who can stand up will stand up to correct it.

It is just nice seeing more of that stuff come out and it needs to be made bigger to force things to changed.

12. allinone macrumors newbie

TOTALLY UP! It all depends how you judge good pay. If good pay just means a lot of money, it is easy to decide which kind of job is the best choice. If good pay means much more than money, everyone has his own faith. SUCCESS is also controversial.

13. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Accounting

There will always be the need for people to count all the money the Chinese are making instead of us.

Statistics

Masses of people are needed to skew government statistics and show how many jobs the gubmint has created out of nothing (i.e. trillion dollar deficits).

-t

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err.... no. You choose to go to law school. It's not the law school's fault you chose to go into a field with many graduates and few relevant jobs.

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

When this is a valid option, it is always the best choice.

If I had to choose a completely new career I would neither go into software development nor into the law business.

Unless you write games and/or run your own little software business with your OWN products, SD has become extraordinarily boring and uninteresting.

As a lawyer, these days your only chance of survival is working for a big law firm. The days when you could survive as an independent lawyer are over. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be just another suit in a big office building filled with hundreds of other suits.

I believe that there is a lot of money to be made in genetics/bio-engineering. But you'd have to go to a country that does not ethical laws preventing research on the human genome. In other words, you'd have to go to China or another Asian country. No matter what you do, you should add Mandarin to your list of "foreign languages to learn".

Becoming a Medical Doctor never was a bad idea, either. You could work ANYWHERE in the world, especially the Scandinavian countries still have a high demand for medical staff. And they pay well.

Since this is an Apple forum, you should search on YouTube for Steve Jobs's famous Stanford speech: "You've got to find what you love. Everything else is secondary."

It's a lot easier to make a living when you love what you do. All the money in the world does NOT compensate you for a boring, brain-killing job. Believe me, I've been there more than once. There are only so many toys that you can buy, and no toy is a substitute for happiness. And money almost never is a primary factor when it comes to happiness.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Working hard and getting nothing in return is the American way these days. Hate to tell you that, but it's true. What is your reward for hard work these days? You get to keep your job. Don't expect a raise or ask for one, they'll just ship your job overseas. Do not expect loyalty from any company you work for- they'll drop you in a second.

And India.

17. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Just become a hitman or assassin for some established secret service. You get to travel a lot, meet new people and develop a lot of useful skills.

You could also run your own business as a mercenary but then you'd have to watch out a bit.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll not get too far in the business world without putting in hard work, it does not matter if the job is low or high paying.

My suggestion is to find a vocation you like, regardless of the salary. What good is a fat paycheck when you are miserable for 8 to 10 hours a day.

19. codymac macrumors 6502

I decided against law school since I would have spent years making less than I made in college.

YES!

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Truer words have not been spoken.

I once quit a job I liked to chase a bigger salary - $20k a year more - and I was miserable nearly the entire time. The job is gone, the salary is gone, and I don't miss it at all.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Or 12-15 hours a day.

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

As said above, truer words have not been spoken. When I was gearing up to go to college about 18 years ago (crap!), I knew what I wanted to do. Since I was a child I had been fascinated by light and lighting objects, and working in theatre designing lighting. That's what I wanted to major in and do for my life.

My father, being much more "capitalistic" than I am, persuaded me to go into engineering instead, because it was a much more lucrative career where I was sure to make money. So I listened. I started going to class, and found that I just got absolutely nothing out of it. I was bored and just didn't care. It was on the first day of Calculus 3 when the new teacher walked in, looking like he had crawled off of a street grate, and without even talking about the class or what we would be doing immediately turned the chalkboard and scribbled some incomprehensible formula and started right into deciphering it. It was right then and there that I lost it. (note that I switched classes and watched as his class dwindled in size over a few days...he was apparently awful).

I called home and declared that I was switching my major to theater production. Of course, I met a lot of resistance from my parents thinking that I would be a starving artist for my whole life. They tried everything they could to steer me towards richer careers, but I didn't want any of it. I knew what I wanted to do.

Nowadays, I'm the only one out of three siblings who seems to be happy with everything. I make pretty good money doing what I do, and for the most part LOVE what I do. My sister has gone through numerous careers, and is now broke, never finding anything that she enjoyed. My step-brother went to law school after years at some other job and now works like 15 hours a day (along with his wife). They only see each other at bedtime.

I have never looked back. I do something I love for work. I don't care if I made half as much, I'd still do the same thing. No way would I ever want some job solely for the money if it was something I just couldn't stand.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Speaking of jobs, or lack thereof- layoffs going on at my company right now. Five so far, I doubt it's over. They do this every year, but this is the second round this year. I really hate this company.

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

A few of the jobs that will be stable will related to: teaching, the military, DoD contract companies, aerospace, food industry, basic-necessities retail companies, sanitation/health department related, most federal jobs, most jobs through higher education.

Sectors that are going to grow quickly are: elder services, health care management, 'green' companies which help make systems environmentally friendly, oil drilling (as after DH, we should see major changes to all underwater drilling systems), life insurance, all government jobs related to CMS and SSI (will see at least 5,000 more federal jobs over the next few years), critical-sector electronics development, life monitor systems, alternative energy design and production, and plenty more

25. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Undertaker

I like George A. Romero's work, but feel it is unlikely to actually occur, hence until the end of humanity there will always be work.....

Personally I honestly believe the question is: What will I enjoy and what will provide the lifestyle I think I will want when I am an adult. I chose to be a Doctor (in the U.K.) I get great satisfaction from it, alot of the time, and compared to the average salary I get paid quite well....although not as much as a lawyer, but the payoff for me is satisfaction and enjoyment. A cliche it may be, but it is true.