Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Fingers crossed for you, bro. :(

Oh- I'm fine. I've been here 12 years and survived every layoff. Plus, I'm part of the small understaffed creative team and I'm too involved with promoting the company to prospective clients and such. I also just did a promotional video project for the higher ups that made them do cartwheels. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

The layoffs are all happening in middle management and production. They keep us creative types stretched thin.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I am guessing you are working in the private sector as they are doing layoffs on a Thursday?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Oh- I'm fine. I've been here 12 years and survived every layoff. Plus, I'm part of the small understaffed creative team and I'm too involved with promoting the company to prospective clients and such. I also just did a promotional video project for the higher ups that made them do cartwheels. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

The layoffs are all happening in middle management and production. They keep us creative types stretched thin.

One problem with layoff is people will walk away from the middle of what ever project they are in. I bet you would do that as well and feel no regret about it.

When I was laid off I knew they where going to have a hell of a time figuring out what I had done, what I was working on and what of mine needed to be done ASAP. About a week after I was laid off looking for something on my desk and saw I had a stack of things I for them I was working on at home. It was going to force them to eat a lot of crow to ask for new copies of it because I was already laid off and tossed it in the trash.
Mix that with I had several things i was in the middle of and no notes on what it was or how I had everything organised. I bet it took them a good 2-3 weeks to figure out a lot of stuff and then were still finding things at the end.
My guilt none. They brought it on themselves.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I am guessing you are working in the private sector as they are doing layoffs on a Thursday?

Do government jobs not have layoffs on Thursdays? :confused:

(Now that I think about it, I was laid off on a Thursday...and another of that company's layoffs came on a Thursday as well...hmm...)

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Whatever you choose to do...and I HIGHLY recommend it's something that you ABSOLUTELY LOVE doing....reiterating what most are saying here.

The one thing I have to add is: Do it as cheaply as you possibly can. There are very, very, VERY few careers when a degree from a specific school is necessary. Find the cheapest school where you can get the degree and experience you want. Often, an internship is where you will get the experience you need to get your first job. Make the most of those opportunities.

Lastly...going along with the money thing. If average salaries for your chosen career are such that paying off you student loans will be nearly impossible, re-think the choice of school or career.

My career is meteorology. I LOVE it and have done just about everything there is to do in the field from TV and radio to energy forecasting to predicting snow and ice for ski resorts, school districts and trucking companies. I left a state university with a B.S. in meteorology and a little under $10K in student loans. The $105 monthly bill was doable on my $18K starting salary in the early 90s.

I know people who have gotten met. degrees and left college with $50-75K or more in student loans and they also have starting salaries of $18-20K and they have no way of paying this loan back back efficiently with their paychecks. Instead of being done with payments after 10 years like I was, student loan payments are almost like mortgages with some of them giving you 30 years of payments (and an extra 20 years of interest!)

If you can go to a state/local university or even community college for what you would love to do, you will truly be better off. And WORK like crazy to not have to take out loans.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
It's been proven you don't need a college degree to succeed, but you do have to be willing to work. There's no proven plan to instant success where every step is taking it easy.

Even people who make gobs of money online tell you it took years of work to perfect their method and get where they are.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
One problem with layoff is people will walk away from the middle of what ever project they are in. I bet you would do that as well and feel no regret about it.

When I was laid off I knew they where going to have a hell of a time figuring out what I had done, what I was working on and what of mine needed to be done ASAP. About a week after I was laid off looking for something on my desk and saw I had a stack of things I for them I was working on at home. It was going to force them to eat a lot of crow to ask for new copies of it because I was already laid off and tossed it in the trash.
Mix that with I had several things i was in the middle of and no notes on what it was or how I had everything organised. I bet it took them a good 2-3 weeks to figure out a lot of stuff and then were still finding things at the end.
My guilt none. They brought it on themselves.

That's true, but the people let go today were not in the kinds of positions that they would be able to screw anything up. I'm pretty sure my company has been looking into outsourcing our production department overseas.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Where in my post did I insinuate that I don't want to work hard? I'm a hard worker by nature. Where I'm from nothing comes easy. If you had read carefully, rather than lazy, the irony, you would have understood that I was questioning working hard and getting nothing in return. Sheesh, I wonder how old people are on here sometimes.

I believe Eldiablojoe pointed that out for you. My point is, for the most part, law school is the easy part of lawyering.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Masses of people are needed to skew government statistics and show how many jobs the gubmint has created out of nothing (i.e. trillion dollar deficits).

Printer, with the U.S. Mint.

QE will guarantee you a wage for life.

Or, to a lesser degree, the pulp & paper industry. :rolleyes:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The money is in trades. Lawyers, Doctors, Dentists, all need plumbers, electricians, car repair techs. And there are fewer trades graduating than lawyers.

Or, Civil Engineering, with an emphasis on disaster prevention/recovery. I think demand for this area is just about ready to explode.

Whether you believe climate change is natural or human caused, there is no denying that the climate is becoming more extreme, and that human societies are becoming more vulnerable to weather events. Recent snow storms in the American NE. Several huge floods in the Canadian Maritime provinces this winter, that were more intense than the current Australian floods. Then there are the current Australian floods, in Queensland, that in scope and scale are enormous. Note that the floods In QL did not reach the 1974 levels - imagine the damage and devastation if they had.

As these weather events get more intense, and more widespread, and there is good evidence that they will, cities and countries are going to need to build their communities to cope with these events better than they are doing now.

Hence, Civil Engineers (and urban planners) with a focus on weather/disaster prevention/recovery.

It will allow you to travel, to work in cosmopolitan areas, to be help people's lives in a very direct way.

Last edited:

JsR

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Newcastle
If you think you can earn lots of money without working hard then you're never going to get very far.

You will only ever find success before work in the dictionary

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Just become a hitman or assassin for some established secret service. You get to travel a lot, meet new people and develop a lot of useful skills.

Never for very long, though! :p

If you think you can earn lots of money without working hard then you're never going to get very far.

I didn't interpret his post as "I don't want to work hard", just "I don't want to invest that much time IF I later find out that the end result isn't worth it."

But I agree with the general consensus in this thread that this is the wrong way to go about it. "Figure out what's profitable, and then go do it" is one approach, but I think "Figure out what you love doing, and find a way to profit from it" will be far more satisfying in the long run.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
It's been proven you don't need a college degree to succeed, but you do have to be willing to work. There's no proven plan to instant success where every step is taking it easy.

Even people who make gobs of money online tell you it took years of work to perfect their method and get where they are.
You do not need a college degree to succeed, but the probability of living in poverty declines as education increases. Average earning potential of college grads versus non-grads are very far apart. With anything you need to work hard and anyone can be successful, but while you aren't guaranteed to be successful even with a college degree, probability wise your chances are higher.

Do government jobs not have layoffs on Thursdays? :confused:

(Now that I think about it, I was laid off on a Thursday...and another of that company's layoffs came on a Thursday as well...hmm...)

From what I have seen it has traditionally been on Fridays. I assume that is to have a 'cool down' period as some people who have been laid off were really, really screwed and did nothing to warrant being laid off. If I were them, I would be irate. Luckily, I think the laid off workers have secured some kind of deal regarding health care and retirement, but I have no idea what it is.

JsR

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Newcastle
Mmmm true - I apologise to the OP if my answer was somewhat, harsh.

However I think it's a risk you have to take. I've just paid £10,000 to do my Master's in Finance and I'm sitting my Investment exams in my own time. Unfortunately it's just managing to pick yourself up after the knock backs. I've just turned 23 so expecting some once I graduate

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
8 people canned so far today. I don't think it's over either.

I've been in that situation before, and I don't envy you. Sometimes I wonder who's the better off, the folks who got laid off or the survivors. I think the laid off people for the most part. The sword hangs over you if you're left and on top of that, you now have even more work to do.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I've been in that situation before, and I don't envy you. Sometimes I wonder who's the better off, the folks who got laid off or the survivors. I think the laid off people for the most part. The sword hangs over you if you're left and on top of that, you now have even more work to do.

Well, we were just told in a meeting that this was a house cleaning and that all those who were let go will be replaced by new people. TBH, the people let go were not the best, so at least they made good decisions as to who got the ax. Still, it's no fun to watch.

I just realized that this is the third round of layoffs in the last year- one for restructuring, another when they outsourced our retouching department and now this.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Oh, right HERE!

Personally, I think you have a HUGE future as a couch-sitter.

No really, the adage, "Nothing worth getting is ever easy." applies here. If you want something badly enough, you can achieve it. In this country anyway. Hell, you can change the world if you want to do so. Just ask Jobs or Gates. They wanted to badly enough. Worked incredibly hard for no pay an no promise of success, much less comfort, and they changed the direction of the entire world.

If you don't want to work hard, there's no limit to what you can't do.

The irony of your response in being too lazy to read accurately. Great, take a text out of context to make your case. Boooo!

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
You're not going to get very far in any field if you don't want to do any work. Is that not completely obvious? In very few fields do you start rolling in the dough immediately out of college or your Masters' degree.

Recent NYT article on law schools:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

That about sums it up for many JDs I know and lawyers who have law careers that never quite took off. The JD, however, is a good degree some employers like to use on many levels of management in business so it's at least versatile outside of just being an attorney. The same could be said for the legion of MBAs out there for being out of work, but the upside is that the skill of a manager is always something that could be used. The sad part of so many people with these usable skills is that the job market can only support a small portion of them.

When a degree like a law degree or MBA is common and within the reach of many reasonably smart people, even average intelligence people, there are always going to be shortages in that occupation. When it's a field that takes an extraordinary amount of talent or smarts and rules out 999 out of 1,000, then a person with that skill will always be in demand and be working.

OP, if you think you have an idea and the drive to run your own business, then you will make more than most JDs and MBAs but I know you know that and have met quite a few very successful entrepreneurs (many without crushing college debt).

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Never for very long, though! :p

I didn't interpret his post as "I don't want to work hard", just "I don't want to invest that much time IF I later find out that the end result isn't worth it."

But I agree with the general consensus in this thread that this is the wrong way to go about it. "Figure out what's profitable, and then go do it" is one approach, but I think "Figure out what you love doing, and find a way to profit from it" will be far more satisfying in the long run.
This. If you don't enjoy what you are doing then you are just going to be miserable no matter how much you make. Knowing yourself is key to knowing what you are objectively good at. Knowing the market is key to knowing how you can use your relevant abilities to profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.