Where can i download a virus?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Cyberheart, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

Im looking for system tools 2011 virus to download.

I have a customer who has it but i want a website where i can download viruses so i can test on them and to practice removing them correctly...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

System Tool 2011 is a Windows-only rogue security software virus that won't run on or infect Mac OS X.

3. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

I was talking about windows in the first place.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Some of the nutters on the MacRumors forums seem to think all you need to do is connect a PC to the internet and you'll be infested with them. :rolleyes:

5. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

yeah but i need to do tests on certain viruses its funny no one has a virus site to recommend. But the internet is full of viruses lol

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since you asked in a Mac forum and your signature indicates you're running a Mac and you didn't specify otherwise in your post, it was only reasonable to let you know that you can't run Windows viruses on a Mac.
    If you're looking for Windows viruses, why not ask in a Windows forum, since they're more likely to be familiar with them? Mac users don't have any viruses to worry about. Why would a Mac user have virus sites to recommend?

7. simsaladimbamba

Because we care, and stay up late to show it?

I would recommend some of those nasty naked flesh IN/OUT sites, but I don't know any bad one. Or what about those sites, where they offer to show you the latest movies, but in order to do so, you have to install some nice codec?

8. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

? "ew" s'ohw ;)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He's talkin' to the mirror again.

10. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

this question brings up a point, if I were to put windows on my mac, would not the mac be susceptible to windows viruses/etc.? ...and does it depend if I run virtual windows, or boot from a windows partition?

11. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

no.

no.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, running Windows on a Mac is just like running Windows on a PC. Any malware vulnerabilities would exist for both. If you run Windows on your Mac, it's advisable to run antivirus on it. However, the Mac partition wouldn't be affected by any malware on the Windows partition.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

It would be rather improper to point people to sites where you can specifically download a virus to test. People can easily say "we need to test antivirus programs" or "we need to test company security", but it's far more likely they are just kids looking to try to infect other computers.

Even if I knew of a site where you could download viruses, I would never give out the address.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes; there is nothing magical in the Macintosh hardware that prevents you from getting viruses, it is the operating system (MacOS X). So a Macintosh running Windows is exactly as vulnerable as any PC running Windows, and a PC running an illegally installed copy of MacOS X, as long as this was done properly, is exactly as safe as a Macintosh running MacOS X.

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Exactly!

Many years ago I had a collection of virus' that I had collected . (I would intentionally infect an application with it and then copy it to a floppy) I used them for testing our work systems. BUT in the long run, there was little that could be done to prevent them; you might stop a few, but there are more new ones daily. In todays age, buying an off the shelf package for your enterprise is better then trying to protect yourself with your own methods. The ONLY useful thing I could see using a collection of virus' for today is testing anti-virus software to find the one that's most effective. Beyond that, to "test our server" sounds like a vengeful employee or someone with evil in their heart.

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

He was asking in the 'Windows on the Mac' section :rolleyes:

17. RoadKill macrumors member

18. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Look for proof-of-concepts on Exploit-DB.

mirror: http://www.exploit-db.com/sploits/uacpoc.zip

Or, try searching torrents for "virus name" toolkit.

example: Spyeye/Zeus toolkit

You could try making malware using Metasploit and exploit code from Exploit-DB.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, he wasn't. The thread got moved to this forum, but it didn't start here.

20. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

if i really wanted to mess up someones computer i dont need a viruses to do it.

i have a customer who has a system tool virus and i want to practice on removing it before i go to his house.

21. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Go on any popular P2P network Frostwire is probley your best bet search for the latest video game or movie possibly the name of the virus find the .exe thats only a few Kb or mb in size download and run it.

22. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

its i guess thats my last resort thanks though lolz

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Kids will be Kids ... prank phone calls are so 1980s

24. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

hxxp://www.malwareurl.com/listing-urls.php?urls=on
    hxxp://www.malwaredomains.com/

25. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide