Where did you buy/order your Mac ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nickm4N, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Nickm4N macrumors member

Hi everybody, I'm a new user on this forum and I'm planning on buying myself a new Macbook Pro. I'm very interested in the 2.53 uMBP version, since this model suits my needs perfectly.

When I'm finished doing my vacation work, and get the money, I will go ahead and buy a MBP. I've been saving and thinking about it for almost a year, but now I'm gonna do it!

But .. before I buy one, I want to ask you all: where did you buy your Mac ? (It can be any kind of Mac of course)

Also, which option do you all prefer to buy your Mac ? Is calling Apple on the 0800 number better since I read somewhere that this way you can get more discount ?

Any advice is welcome and will help me decide where I will buy my new Mac.
    Other info that might be important is that I live in Belgium (no refurbs as far as I know :< ).

Long thread .. I know. You can either answer the question in bold, also some extra info for me would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've bought various Macs from the online store and from retail stores. As far as I know you don't get any more of a discount over the phone, but I could be wrong...

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I've only bought one Mac, and that was from the Apple store. They usually have a Black Friday sale, but I don't know if that applies out of the US?

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

6. G4DP macrumors 65816

MacPro, bought over the phone from Apple. Got AppleCare for half price. MacBook Pro, bought last week from local Premium Reseller. No problems with either purchase.

7. Nickm4N thread starter macrumors member

So I might get more chance in getting some sort of discount when I order one through the phone ? Do you ask for a discount, do you negotiate or do you simply get one ?

I am planning on using my educational discount via Apple on Campus, my school is a part of that so I can get an extra % over the educational discount, which bring the base 2.53 uMBP at €1484 ... coming from €1649. I believe this is my best option, but is there any chance on a lower price through the phone? Or an other way ..

8. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

I had a few ordering/shipping questions so I called the 1-800 number. The guy was very friendly, made me feel much better about forking over $2500.

9. caonimadebi macrumors regular

if you know what you're doing, ebay is the best way to go.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

12. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Online Apple store.

But then again, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing.

13. Ann P macrumors 68020

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

got it a local mac store I got parallels for 19.00 could have gotten my mini upgraded to 4 gigs of ram and apple care for 250.00 but I was broke.

15. stranger danger macrumors member

My first MacBook was off the Apple retail store (with student discount)

My latest MacBook Pro is from MacConnection.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

True for me as well, except Rev A of Macbook Air and my 2007 iPhone.

I was nervous about both of them because I'm a major fan of Apple refurbs. But I was lucky and those two devices were fine :) "even though they were new." :confused: So weird writing that, but that's how I felt when I was trying them out and hoping they were not duds.

17. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Obviously not

I paid $920 for unibody Macbook 13": you would've paid $1299+tax
    I paid $1300 for Macbook Air Rev. B: you would've paid $1799+tax
    I paid $92 for Macbook Air Applecare: you would've paid $250+tax
    I paid $200 for iPod Touch: you would've paid $299+tax

18. Ann P macrumors 68020

Yeah you're cool. :rolleyes:

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Out of the five Mac's I've used as my main machine, four were bought on eBay, and one from an Apple store. (Never again. Not that it was a bad experience or anything, but I don't need a new machine when there are older cheaper ones on eBay that do everything I need.)

20. caonimadebi macrumors regular

EDIT: what I mean by "knowing what you're doing" is knowing which bad apples (no pun intended) to stay away from. There are definitely risks associated with buying on ebay, and to those who would like to avoid those risks altogether, apple online store may be your best bet.

21. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

22. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

That's hardly the thought you conveyed in your last post.

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Online. If you want to customize your mac, this is the best place to go IMO. Also, you can do crazy configurations, before you settle on your actual machine (not that I ever did that ;)).

24. Nickm4N thread starter macrumors member

I see, since I'm not that familiar with eBay I won't be buying my first Mac there. I think I will try and inform myself with the 0800 number, or maybe I will use the online store. Both ways, I will use my Apple on Campus discount.

Thanks for the info everybody..

25. Contegni macrumors newbie

If you get an education discount, make sure you buy an 8GB iPod Touch too. You don't have to be buying a mac for college, you just need to be eligible for an education discount - if you are a janitor in an elementary school, that's good enough.

Anyway, I just bought a MBP at an Apple Retail Store last week and got the education discount ($150 off the 2.66GHz 15.4"), and I bought the iPod Touch which is free after rebate. I plan to sell it to a friend for somewhere around $200. $200+150=$350 off. That's how you can maximize your discount.... unless you want to keep the iPod Touch, of course. So whatever you do, good luck and enjoy :)