Where did YOU buy your new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DukeOliver, Oct 28, 2008.

?

where did you buy your new macbook?

1. Online

37.1%
  2. Store

54.3%
  3. Other

8.6%
  1. DukeOliver macrumors member

I'm yet another customer contemplating where to by one. Don't know whether I should order from the Apple store online or just drive an hour to the nearest store in NY to test drive a glassbook before purchasing. If I end up going to the store location, will I be able to customize it there? I'd hate to hear they don't have a 2.4 4gb in stock, though after browsing the actual store online, I feel a little bit safer. Bonus points if they allow me to get the student discount after presenting my student ID.

How did you buy your new macbook? Which method would you recommend / not touch with a 10 foot pole? :D

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

3. poblack macrumors regular

I only buy my stuff from the apple store. I just but my first mac a few days ago (2.0 aluminum macbook) and I wanted to make it an experience, like when I bought my first iphone. I like talking with the staff. They know their stuff.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think you should try to see a system before you shell out lots of $$ for it. Does your school have a computer store that you can check out?

5. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

It depends.

If you really want to test it out and upgrade it, go check out Best Buy if it's close by. They might have the MacBooks on display. If you like them, then go back home and go to the online Apple Store.

If you want to test out the MacBooks and upgrade minor parts then call the Apple Store to hold one first. Then head down to your store and play around with it. If you don't like it, just leave and don't worry about the hold.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd buy from the Apple retail store just in case you have issues with it. If you need BTO then of course online.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Like others have said, it would be worth the drive to see it in person first. This forum has blown some things out of proportion in terms of complaints so it's best to verify that you will like it before you buy blindly. This is the issue with buying Dell products, only a small amount of local stores carry Dell and they only sell a few models which leaves you to buy blindly online and you don't know what you are getting until it arrives.

That being said I always call Apple over the phone and order all my Macs and iPods because I can customize my order and they generally ship it to me faster than buying online.

8. DukeOliver thread starter macrumors member

I've had 7 macs in my life and have experience in building PC's, plus my campus upgrades the macs every year. I've just never purchased anything from the apple online or retail store, it was always some kind of gift from the parents. I was just wondering about other people's experiences :D Sadly no one on my campus has the new macbook for me to check out :(

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well the Alu Macbook just came out under two weeks ago, I remember when the iPhone was first released, regardless of the phenomenal sales numbers it was almost a year before I saw anyone on the street with one.

10. azdmelani macrumors member

bought mine in the apple store. It was a great experience!

11. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

bought it at the apple store.

I am that person on campus with it, LOL. I gotten more than enough interruptions from people asking if it is the new macbook.

I went to the apple store to check it out. I was debating between the regular 2.4 and the 2.0 Pro. I read the gizmodo review prior to the store visit and then went to see it in person to see that they were right about the mb pro vs the mb screen. The mb pro screen is definitely better than the mb screen but it doesnt matter too much if you do not do alot of editing. I definitely knew going to the apple store with the review in my mind, that the macbook lcd would make me buy a pro, but in person, its not that bad. If I ordered online, I would've had a pro but unhappy with the 15" size.

I vote for going to the store first. :)

12. RudenOffensive macrumors newbie

Drove to the most local Apple store (which is an hour away) to get mine. I would have picked it up from Best Buy, but the only Best Buy in the area that carries Apple computers is across the street from the Apple store, and I didn't want to order it online for two reasons: 1.) I wanted to be able to see it in person first and test it out, and 2.) I don't have the patience to wait for it to be shipped (if I could have done overnight shipping, I would have, but the option wasn't available).

13. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

I want to go to the Apple Store to get mine because I can ask the staff a whole lot of questions, plus I may have them set her up in the store! But I think if your buying from the store, wait a week of so because people are saying ones just bought and recieved online do not have the washed out screens, loose battery covers, and the other crap. the second week ones are said to be better...:D:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

14. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

haha... i went to syracuse university a week or two ago on tour with my school and saw a guy with a new macbook. everyone was looking over his shoulder as he used it so i know these must be cool to have. i bet the aluminum macbook will come up as one of time mags best innovations of 2008!

15. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

16. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Apple store in Danbury CT. on the day they became available.

17. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

I like going to the Apple Store, as well, but I wouldn't say that they all know their stuff. I've intervened on explanations being offered by store personnel to correct them from giving bad information to prospective customers on several occasions, including the other day when one was explaining to a customer that the macbook he was demoing did in fact have firewire... <ahem>

18. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I totally agree with you on the knowledge level of the sales people. The genius's might know a lot (i have no experience with them so I wouldn't know) but the salesperson who sold me mine knew less about it than I did. I did research it and obsess over it for 5 months before buying and buy it the 1st day it was available in stores....but that's not the point :p

19. youssefm macrumors 6502

i would go to the store, its more reliable just in case you need to exchange, and if you have your student id, they could give you $100 off the 2.0 ghz macbook just like they did with me :D

20. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Really? Where do you live that it took a year to spot an iPhone?

21. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

I got mine at a best buy in town ( nearest apple store is over an hour away. ) I was unfortunate and had the loose battery cover and went to the store to exchange it. they did not have any, and did not know when more would arrive. Now I am waiting for the $1500 to get returned to my debit card so I can make the haul to Louisville or Cincinnati to get one at an apple store.

22. fk51785 macrumors regular

23. me2000 macrumors 6502

I'm planning on buying from Amazon (no tax).

Anyone have any issues buying from Amazon?

24. TyloBedo macrumors member

i don't know if someone has said this yet, but you can call the apple store and ask them if they have any in stock, and if they have enought to last an hour.