Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I've read that some models are not supported by the new Nvidia drivers, but how do I know what ones are properly compatible? Planning to install in a 3,1 Mac Pro. I also saw in the forum that the 1060 isn't properly compatible with flashing so far, will it work without flashing with no boot screen? How do I know which 1070 models are compatible with that as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Any card identified as a "Founders Edition". However, I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 card, definitely not a reference card. It's been flashed my MVC and is working Great for me. I really like the Gigabyte 3 fan cooling solution.

Lou

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
OK, but is there any way to know what other models are compatible? The reference cards seem to be a lot more expensive sadly.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
OK, but is there any way to know what other models are compatible? The reference cards seem to be a lot more expensive sadly.

You need the reference PCB (a circuit board that has identical design as the Founder Edition), but not necessary Nvidia brand, or with the reference cooler. Some other non reference card can also work flawlessly, however, no data base, you have to try by error.

e.g. my 1080Ti is also not from Nvidia, not the Founder Edition, not coming with the reference cooler, not flashed... but it has a reference PCB, and it work flawlessly.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/getting-my-5-1-ready-for-vive-vr.2046670/page-3#post-25429070

You may search the reviews for your target 1060. Some review website will post the PCB layout, and then you can compare it to the reference PCB to check if they are identical (Google is your friend).

Also, quite a few other brands also make their own Founder Edition card, those cards definitely have the reference PCB and with the reference design cooler as well. And they are usually cheaper than other non reference card (for the same brand).

If your budget is OK, and you are happy to go for 1070. I highly recommend go for the 1070. The 1060 may not work well in macOS, even MVC not sell it. But reference 1070 is proved can work very stable.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
One site that might hep you out is EKWB.com, they focus on liquid cooling solutions for computers. On the website is a configurator, cards that use a reference PCB are clearly indicated. Well, I say clearly, you have to go through a drop down selection process for each an every card...but the information is there.

For an example of what I mean, check out:

Nvidia > GTX 1070 > EVGA > EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 (08G-P4-6171)

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
One site that might hep you out is EKWB.com, they focus on liquid cooling solutions for computers. On the website is a configurator, cards that use a reference PCB are clearly indicated. Well, I say clearly, you have to go through a drop down selection process for each an every card...but the information is there.

For an example of what I mean, check out:

Nvidia > GTX 1070 > EVGA > EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 (08G-P4-6171)
Thanks so much. Sadly none of the 1060 cards I checked seemed to have the reference board.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Last edited:
Reactions: bwillwall

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Make sure to do your research on MR about the GTX 1060. I may not have looked close enough, but the research that I've done in the past shows that not many people have gotten the GTX 1060 to work well in MacOS, at least I don't remember a single success story. However, that was some time ago so it may/may not be valid with all the updates since. I get the impression that the GTX 1060 is more trial and error than the rest of the models, even the FE models (reference). The GTX 1060 is a weird board that doesn't share anything in common with the PCB of the GTX 1070/1080. That's why the GTX 1070 works just as well as the GTX 1080 (unless you sprout for a custom board, you take the risks).

Just do your research on the GTX 1060. Find a success story first. The price at nVidia is pretty good for one, especially if it's the 6GB model.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Make sure to do your research on MR about the GTX 1060. I may not have looked close enough, but the research that I've done in the past shows that not many people have gotten the GTX 1060 to work well in MacOS, at least I don't remember a single success story. However, that was some time ago so it may/may not be valid with all the updates since. I get the impression that the GTX 1060 is more trial and error than the rest of the models, even the FE models (reference). The GTX 1060 is a weird board that doesn't share anything in common with the PCB of the GTX 1070/1080. That's why the GTX 1070 works just as well as the GTX 1080 (unless you sprout for a custom board, you take the risks).

Just do your research on the GTX 1060. Find a success story first. The price at nVidia is pretty good for one, especially if it's the 6GB model.
Agreed. My post above applies to the 1070FE model also. NVIDIA have good pricing if you can catch them when they have stock!

Reactions: fendersrule

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I got the best deal ever...got the FE GTX 1070 with the Vive VR. I essentially paid $200 shipped for it.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I don't understand why they didn't release drivers that work properly for the 1060 with the 10 series driver release? Do they plan to update this?

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. You'll have to search around.

The reason likely is because focusing on the 1070/1080/1080ti in one swipe is easier than the odd-ball 1060.

Are you sure you want a 1060? Great card for 60FPS 1080p, but that's really about it.

Apple2001

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
I have a 1060 in my 4,1 -> 5,1 and I recently had some issues running it alongside the gt120, to the point that it would suddenly log out. After taking out the gt120 it has been running without issue. It's on 24/7 with the displays off via a hot corner when I'm away from the computer - no sleep/wake issues. No boot screens without the 120 but it is stable now.

The 1060 I have is the MSI GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1. If I'm reading correctly, according to the site posted above, it isn't a reference PCB.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
there is no official support for a nvidia card past the gtx 680 from apple.
there is something like half support for newer nvidia cards aka gtx 7/9/10xx cards via nvidias drivers but there are problems with no clear idea of supported cards, driver/os updates and no guarantee of long turn support.

it works it's just not simple is what i want to say, once you get your 1060 make shore auto updates are off, wait for a nvidia driver update before using an osx or security update, keep your old gpu, turn on screen sharing.

when you pick up your gtx 1060 do a bunch of testes to check for bugs encase you need to return it.

:( kind of sad to see the nvidia uk site say the gtx 1060 costs £190 and a look on amazon uk sees the cheapest at £303, but the gtx 1050 for £100 seems a good price. (edit - i dont know if the gtx1050 works or not)

one thing to mention is there will be a GPU refresh some time soon ish (half a years time?)

Last edited:

-VoiceOfReason-

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
I have a 1060 in my 4,1 -> 5,1 and I recently had some issues running it alongside the gt120, to the point that it would suddenly log out. After taking out the gt120 it has been running without issue. It's on 24/7 with the displays off via a hot corner when I'm away from the computer - no sleep/wake issues. No boot screens without the 120 but it is stable now.

It's funny you should mention this, I have the exact same issue. I am running a GTX 680 and put my GT 120 in. I noticed that WindowSever will crash and produce the "log out" you describe. Happens with either OSX driver or Nvidia Web Driver. Pulled it and looking for a replacement card that can give me more screens but not finding much (need boot screens for FileVault)

tu2thepoo

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
I have a zotac 1060 mini (definitely not reference board), and it works fine-ish on my Mac 4.1-5.1. I had it running alongside a Geforce GT 120 for a while with no problems, and the NVIDIA web drivers load fine...ish.

You'll be running into several issues running a 1060 though:
  • My 1060 stops accelerating video output any time the Mac Pro goes to sleep. The only way for me to solve this is to Log Out, then immediately log back in to restart the video driver (sometimes even have to do a full system restart). From what I've read on the forum, this is NOT uncommon, and this ONLY happens on the 1060.
  • There is no EFI flashing for the Geforce 1060, reference or otherwise (not even listed as an option at MacVidCards). You're unlikely, if ever, to get a boot screen.
  • If you want to keep a Geforce GT120 in the machine for easier booting, you'll have to do some weird tricks to get it working in Windows 10 (if that matters to you). This is a non-issue if you have an ATI video card with EFI.
  • Without a Geforce GT120, Bootchamp is your best option for rebooting into Boot Camp, but that requires SIP to be disabled. This makes it inconvenient to keep up with MacOS updates/new NVIDIA drivers - see below.
  • This lack of boot screen means you'll have to do some workarounds to install the latest MacOS updates and NVIDIA web drivers, because SIP is required.

In short, I'd really recommend getting a flashed 1070 or something from MacVidCards, IF you have to have a Geforce. I'm only keeping my Geforce1060 because it was a holdover from my old Windows machine.

Last edited:

Apple2001

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
My 1060 stops accelerating video output any time the Mac Pro goes to sleep. The only way for me to solve this is to Log Out, then immediately log back in to restart the video driver (sometimes even have to do a full system restart). From what I've read on the forum, this is NOT uncommon, and this ONLY happens on the 1060.
What symptoms do you experience when it stops accelerating video? I sometimes have a laggy safari experience or a general lag to inputs sometimes but when I'm working in unreal is will still manage >100fps. Maybe I've just grown used to it, is it the video card?

tu2thepoo

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
What symptoms do you experience when it stops accelerating video? I sometimes have a laggy safari experience or a general lag to inputs sometimes but when I'm working in unreal is will still manage >100fps. Maybe I've just grown used to it, is it the video card?
It’ll be very obvious if it happens- the screen redraws line-by-line very slowly and you’ll have a lot of tearing+visual artifacts. Sometimes when I log out the colors get distorted, and I have to click the restart icon essentially blind.

AmanO

macrumors regular
EVGA 1060 6gb running fine, here. All I do is light gaming. I have to yank the gt120 to boot into Win10, but I only need it when updating OSX, anyway. I am running Sierra. I found a co-worker to give me 200 for my EVGA 970, so ~100$ more for the 1060 was a no-brainer.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1060 6GB, using High Sierra and the nVidia drivers and everything is looking like it works completely fine for me right now.

I haven't yet encountered the sleep issue @tu2thepoo mentioned above.

Reactions: bwillwall
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.