Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lht0747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Everywhere
I became mac user for five years. But still now I HAVE NOT yet found a good APP store for Mac. Someone said system App Store, I don't think it is enough for me. Some app can't be list in the store. Actually, I got app from Goolge more App Store.
May you tell me where you download Mac app? Google? App Store or other mac site such as Macupdate?

lht0747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Everywhere
With rare exceptions, such as from Adobe, from Apples app store.
I think Apple app store still has a lot of can be improved, and we need one much enough software store. It MUST be safe, fast and update instantly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MAS, or the developer site. I don't go to one specific place to download my apps.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Why? Even for App's on App Store i Visit the developers homepage to check the details, which Apple might prevent on the app store. Often the App Store version is cut down version, due to sandboxing. Sometimes it might even be free to download or at least have a trial.

lht0747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Everywhere
Why? Even for App's on App Store i Visit the developers homepage to check the details, which Apple might prevent on the app store. Often the App Store version is cut down version, due to sandboxing. Sometimes it might even be free to download or at least have a trial.
Yeah, I think Mac app store has a few weaknesses.
First, less of app. Secondly, less up to date. Thirdly, no trial version in the store. Now most people choose to download app from developer official site.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Some types of apps may not be available in the centralized stores, but only from the developer.

I like Macupdate, but I often look for apps there, (mostly because there can be a large variety of similar apps) but actually look at the developer's site to download the app, if possible.
It would probably help if you could give us an idea of the kinds of apps that you are trying to find.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I usually get apps from the dev's websites. Recommendations come from trusted blogs and referrals from friends and people that I trust. I also get some stuff from the MAS, but I rarely just browse the MAS looking for something to buy.

lht0747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Everywhere
Some types of apps may not be available in the centralized stores, but only from the developer.

I like Macupdate, but I often look for apps there, (mostly because there can be a large variety of similar apps) but actually look at the developer's site to download the app, if possible.
It would probably help if you could give us an idea of the kinds of apps that you are trying to find.
Would you like to download app from a new app store with more app more update and safety?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Would it be necessary for mac to install anti-Trojan tool?
I don't but while I don't limit my downloads to only the MAS, I am very careful of where I do get my apps. I also don't get a lot applications, only those that fit a specific need. Usually if I see recommendations here, I feel a bit safer about going to the developer site.

lht0747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Everywhere
I don't but while I don't limit my downloads to only the MAS, I am very careful of where I do get my apps. I also don't get a lot applications, only those that fit a specific need. Usually if I see recommendations here, I feel a bit safer about going to the developer site.
I C. The security is a must.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Oh, some multimedia app such as converter, player, burner.
You need to be careful. There are a lot of media converters out there. Some are free, but many charge a fee. However, they are rip-offs. Your Quicktime Player (Quicktime X) or the free Handbrake will handle your conversion needs.

Before the Mac App Store, there were two major websites to search for Mac software, c|net's Download.com, which also operated TechTracker.com, and MacUpdate.com. These sites did not store files on their own servers. They merely provided information and links to software on developers' servers. Generally, these sites also provided links to the developers' websites so that you could explore for yourself before deciding to download.

MacUpdate.com is now transitioning itself to a subscription service that conceals the URL of its client developers. However, you don't have to subscribe, but may continue to use its links to software that you want to download. It is still a useful site that lists just about every Mac software title that is available.

c|net is another matter. It now wraps many of its listed titles in downloaders that download .dmg image files or .zip from the developers' website. These downloaders also install adware on your computer unless you affirmatively refuse permission to install the adware.

Boo-Hiss to c|net.

I almost forgot. There are websites that host software for certain target audiences such as scientists and engineers. There are also sites that host open source or freeware. Often this software is ported from generic Unix. Also, some of may be rather old.

lht0747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Everywhere
You need to be careful. There are a lot of media converters out there. Some are free, but many charge a fee. However, they are rip-offs. Your Quicktime Player (Quicktime X) or the free Handbrake will handle your conversion needs.

Before the Mac App Store, there were two major websites to search for Mac software, c|net's Download.com, which also operated TechTracker.com, and MacUpdate.com. These sites did not store files on their own servers. They merely provided information and links to software on developers' servers. Generally, these sites also provided links to the developers' websites so that you could explore for yourself before deciding to download.

MacUpdate.com is now transitioning itself to a subscription service that conceals the URL of its client developers. However, you don't have to subscribe, but may continue to use its links to software that you want to download. It is still a useful site that lists just about every Mac software title that is available.

c|net is another matter. It now wraps many of its listed titles in downloaders that download .dmg image files or .zip from the developers' website. These downloaders also install adware on your computer unless you affirmatively refuse permission to install the adware.

Boo-Hiss to c|net.

I almost forgot. There are websites that host software for certain target audiences such as scientists and engineers. There are also sites that host open source or freeware. Often this software is ported from generic Unix. Also, some of may be rather old.
@MisterMe Thank you very very much. About the media tools I bought the Macgo blu-ray player for my rMBP. It can play all of our video files and BD Disc on my mac. I don't think I need other converter tools.
About cnet.com macupdate.com, they are my favorite sites. These site seem to be hosting the developer's dmg zip pkg file on their servers. They must check the developer's file before hosting it. So it must be safe for users.
As you mentioned at the end, I know some sites such as sourceforge.net only for open source software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.