Where do you keep your iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Jul 13, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2008
    Just out of curiosity, who keeps their iTunes library on their computer??

My entire library is kept on my external HD, and I stream it to my computer over my Airport Extreme base station. I have a 180gb internal HD in my MBP, and a 30GB song database.... I feel like it's a big chunk of my storage, and since I'm a frequent track-skipper... I think it's less wear-and-tear on my internal HD...

But the lag of the external HD has me re-thinking what I'm up to...

So where's your music library???
  2. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
  4. OhNo789 macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2009
    I used to have my library on an external before I got my laptop and never had much of a lagging issue even with movies, and I have a fairly large library. Now it is on the internal, and the movies are on an external. It was just too impractical, because I like to play my music through my computer wherever I go.
  5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2009
    I have about 35 gigs of music and I keep it all internal. It is just easier since I use my macbook out of the house a lot. My movie collection is mostly on external though.
  6. Orange Gringo macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2009
    I do what you do, but since I switched to a Seagate, the lag is not so bad.

Curious what you do to backup yours. I have a thread about backing up under this setup, and I don't have a good answer.
  7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

Jul 31, 2008
    Northern VA
    I keep my whole iTunes in my internal 750GB.

My music is about 13GB.

I have copies of my iTunes on 2 DVDs, an external hard drive, a NAS drive, and my Time Machine.

As well as on my other computer :D
  8. Razeus macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2008
    On my Macbook, I've installed a 500GB drive so I keep my library on it internally. I used to keep all my music on an external, but I like being able to sit on the porch, on my coach, lunch break, school and be able to mess with my library, store and playlists. Of course, I back it all up to an external manually, and also backup using Time Machine. With 150GB of music, I can't affords to lose my stuff.
  9. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

May 20, 2009
    Internal, except for movies which are on a Seagate 1TB Firewire External Drive.
  10. Julien macrumors G4

Jun 30, 2007
  11. Krafty macrumors 601

Dec 31, 2007
    La La Land
  12. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2006
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Drobo over FW 800.
  13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

May 8, 2008
    On my internal 250GB HDD... Startin' to fill up though.
  14. LizKat macrumors 68040

Aug 5, 2004
    Catskill Mountains
    Internal but on separate machines - one has classical, one has operas, one has everything else. It works OK for me. I load different iPods up from those machines.

The "everything else" library is on my main machine, currently a blackjack. It collects my podcast subscriptions and audiobook purchases as well.

I keep a fairly small selection from that machine on my MBA, which I use every day too. Usually what's on the MBA is stuff I recently bought, and a few playlists of favorites from different genres.

Movies and TV shows I just store on external drives, and when I want to reload one of my iPods I just fish out what I want and load it on the machine I'm going to load the pod from.

So really most of the TV / movies don't even have a library associated with them. Project for a rainy day I guess, now that iTunes supports alternate libraries with the option-open command.
  15. kkamin macrumors member

Mar 24, 2009
    How do you split it up like that? Keeping music on internal and movies on external?
  16. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

Mar 4, 2009
    I was all on my iMac's 640 GB. I'm under 100 GB free on that, so I'm going to relocate TV Shows to a 500 GB MyBook external.
  17. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Dec 13, 2007
    160 GB of music on my Macbooks 500 GB hard drive, and manual backups to an external. I lost more than 100 GB of music once. Not happening again.
  18. ryanide macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2002
    on separate drive, separate folders

I have a 1TB drive just for media inside my Mac Pro (since it holds 4 drives).
    iTunes Music in one folder 130GB and iTunes Media (for TV shows and Movies) in a separate folder 287GB. In the iTunes Music folder there is an alias to the iTunes Media folder so that iTunes can find the movies correctly.

I found that having separate folders for the Music & Media helps make backups easier to separate smaller drives. Sure would be great if iTunes preferences allowed you to set a location for these different media types, such as a folder for Music, Movies, Podcasts, TV shows.

Also, iTunes should have a Vault style backup system like Aperture. Right now I have 3 scheduled backups, one for Music, one for Media and another for the Library which is stored in the User>Home>Music folder.
  19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2009
    Durham, NC
    On my MacBook's internal drive, and in a SuperDuper backup on an external drive. Once I replace the desktop that acts as a Linux file server with one that supports more drives, I'll keep a copy there as well.
  20. boast macrumors 65816

Nov 12, 2007
  21. zombitronic macrumors 65816

Feb 9, 2007
    On a concatenated 1.25TB volume on a G4 in my server closet (pantry). It's being backed up via Time Machine across the network to a 2TB striped volume on another G4 in the same closet.

I then connect to the library and the back up drive across the network from yet another G4 and a Mini hooked up to my TV in the living room.

This way, I end up with one iTunes library and one Time Machine volume across my entire network.
  22. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

Dec 19, 2008
    Hamilton, Ontario
  23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

Mar 7, 2007
    I keep my music and movies on the internal, but I keep TV Shows on an external.
  24. Oshin macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2009
    I came up with an interesting solution when my internal drive filled up. I got a 320gb external drive for graduation, and I created two library files. I backed up all my music and movies on the external drive, around 20gb, then I made another library on the internal drive to keep the music I listen to about 90% of the time. I don' always keep my MBP hooked up to the external drive, so I will still have my favorite music whenever I'm on the laptop.