Where do you put the dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Oct 3, 2007.

?

Where do you put the dock?

1. Bottom

68 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. Left

18 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Right

15 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. theman macrumors 6502a

I put my dock on the left side. It's just more convenient with the menubar being up there, and the red/green/yellow window buttons up there. Also, it saves screen space since the MBP is a widescreen. it's better to take space away from he sides rather than the bottom.

what do you think?

2. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I like it on the side, but it looks really stupid in Leopard, so I might have to get used to the bottom

3. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

On the bottom, hidden with minimal magnification.

6. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

I'm wayyyy too used to having the dock on the bottom....

The taskbar was on the bottom for me when i use xp and the dock will just have to be the same way!

7. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I totally agree and that's where I have it. It feels weird having it on the side for some reason. :rolleyes:

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Me too. And I don't keep apps in the dock that I don't use often. I set Recent Items to 20 for apps and grab them from there instead. Old habits...

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

10. reubs macrumors 68000

I keep my dock on the lower right hand corner with a clear background and slightly minimized. I have no magnification on, but I don't hide it. I launch all of my apps with Quicksilver, so I really only keep the dock there for show (and for my wife, although she's learning QS also). I try to only have my HDD icon on the desktop as well.

I am a minimalist in that sense, and I don't like a cluttered computer desktop. I actually have a small worry that the Leopard dock won't look as nice in that lower right corner as I think it does right now. However, that'll be a small price to pay for the upgrades if I decide to go with Leopard.

11. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

I keep mine on the bottom, though I have tried putting it on the side only to put it right back down where it was.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

right side. bottom (meaning not centered).

i keep it tiny so its not in the way though.

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

At work and on the home desktop, it's on the right side, non-hidden. I have dual screens, so I don't really "need" that little bit of extra room. It's on the monitor I use for email, iTunes, a Finder window, etc.

However, on the MacBook, it's on the left side, otherwise it would get in the way of the scroll bar. And it's hidden, 'cause I don't have nearly as much real estate.

All the monitors are widescreen, so it doesn't make much sense putting it at the bottom and further limiting the vertical space.

14. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

15. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

16. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i'm a new switcher (only had a mac for about 3 weeks) and i put it on the left. i realized it was annoying to go up and down between the menubar at the top, the window buttons (usually near at the top) and the dock way down on the bottom. also, it takes up too much vertical space on a widescreen. you guys should try it out, it is nice on the left.

17. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

On the bottom, without much in it and magnification off. I've tried having it on the sides, but I can't get used to keeping it there. I don't use it much, although it's useful for keeping track for what I've left running.

18. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, i'm seeing a trend here of people not really using, or liking the dock, even though it's one of the important characteristics of OS X. strange....

19. climber25 macrumors newbie

20. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

it's just a fancy way to alias

that being said, I use to have mine on the left, from 10.2-->10.4.9. but, I'm trying to get used to it on the bottom now since the Leopard dock apparently looks like crap on the side.

21. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Bottom mostly, sometimes on the left side.

Never hidden, have too much input on the dock. I for one love the dock, except for the fact that it creates a horizontal barrier. If the dock is tiny and on the bottom left or right, you should be able to take advantage of that space with the zoom button.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Professor Plum in the study with the knife.

Right, not hidden

23. Makosuke macrumors 603

Right, small icons, not hidden.

Somewhat ironically, I like and used to use it on the bottom, but when I got a widescreen monitor I realized it was a total waste of space. Doing an analysis of which side made more logical sense, I came up with right (menus and the close button in titlebars are less likely to get in the way over there), so I put it on the right and forced myself to adjust.

On non-widescreen monitors (at work), I still use it on the bottom.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

There are some of us who like to put the dock on the top of our screens to confuse onlookers. :)