Where does iTunes store album artwork files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdxflint, Apr 22, 2009.

1. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I can click on the album artwork in iTunes (8.0.2) and it will display the larger version of an album cover, but I can't right click and copy it, or display the actual file in the finder. Sometimes I want to copy the artwork for an email, forum, etc. and don't want to always use Grab to make a screenshot. Where are the album files stored on my Mac? Thanks.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

They're imbedded in each individual track. Right click --> Get Info --> Artwork tab. From there, you can just drag and drop the image onto your desktop or wherever else you may want it. That only comes out as a picture clipping file, however, so you will need to use the appropriate automator script to get that into jpeg, png, tiff, or whatever. Those can be found here.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Deeply hidden in the individual music files (at least for unprotected AAC files; I haven't checked anything else). You can't copy the artwork in the larger window, but you can copy it if you right-click in the small artwork display.

4. pdxflint thread starter macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Okay guys, thanks for the help. I finally figured out if I right-clicked (copy) on the small artwork image in the sidebar in iTunes, I would actually be copying the larger 600x600 artwork, and then I can open it from the clipboard in Preview. (in Preview, File>New From Clipboard, or command-N.) Once in Preview, just save, give it a name and choose filetype/location for the file. Bingo! Works just like I wanted.

example:

Attached Files:

5. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Artwork downloaded from the iTunes Store is stored in a database. Artwork you add manually, is stored in the file itself.

6. stevod macrumors member

Yes there seem to be two ways. But even if it's stored in the files themselves iTunes seems to build a library of all the artwork in a local directory.

S