Where does the iPad fit in my tech collection?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by the1payday, Oct 17, 2010.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I just purchased an iPad yesterday, but i'm debating returning it. I own a 13" MacBook pro, as well as an iPhone 4 already, and I'm having a hard time finding where the iPad fits into my lifestyle. For instance, when I'm at home I simply grab my laptop to do whatever I need to do, or if it's just quickly checking something I pull out my iPhone. If I'm out of the house, all I really need is my iPhone. I am by no means "dissing" the iPad, I'm just not sure if it fits my lifestyle needs, with already owning a MacBook pro and an iPhone 4. I guess I'm just looking for advice and the real practicality of owning an iPad, with already owning the other two devices. Suggestions or examples of where the iPad fits into other peoples tech collection would be greatly appreciated, especially those with the same setup as me. Thanks.

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The iPad is more user friendly, and fun to use than your Macbook pro.

Browsing the web with tapping the screen and flicking up and down to read web pages. watching videos such as CNN.

It's a great experience over your MBP

And there are many apps that makes it useful and easy to get to than your MBP.

I hate browsing the web on an iPhone because of such a small screen. When your home use the iPad instead of the iPhone 4.

But when your outside your home use your iPhone 4

You MacBook Pro is there for you to use Flash Sites and do heavy work/ typing.

The iPad is the best experience at searching emails, entering events in calendar, using various apps. I could go on.

Basically it does the common things but in a better experience that is more fun than the MBP and iPhone 4

3. Scuby macrumors regular

I find my iPad is easier to sit and use on the sofa, move around the house, no worries about moving the power supply, instantly on and ready to use, etc, and so used it in preference to my laptop for pretty much everything - so much so that i sold my laptop and replaced it with a desktop shortly after i got my iPad. That leaves my iPad the perfect device for the internet, email and general entertainment, and a desktop is much better than a laptop for the few things left which i can't do on my iPad (photo editing mainly).

Not a cheap approach to computing by any means (i now have a £1000 iMac and a £600 iPad which together replaced a £400 laptop), but i like it so stick with it.

Regarding portability, i don't consider the iPad something i'd use regularly "on the move", so iPhone is a meaningless comparison for me. It does replace a netbook for travelling though, and is infinitely superior to the last netbook i had ( which was so horrible to use i sold it as soon as i got home).

David

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I have the same setup. iMac for the desk office to do heavy computing, iPhone 4 to take with me and use as stand alone camera, GPS, Phone, portable gaming, ect. & iPad to take around the house and browse the web, reply to emails, play with various apps, & watch netflix. The list can go on with what I use the iPad for.

It's the best way to browse and do those common things.

My iMac is used to play heavy gaming, use flash website (when needed), & typing school work.

So all 3 devices is all I need and is the best combo!

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Similar setup here. The iPad did not provide -any- additional value or use, so I returned it.

6. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm more convinced now however to return to the iPad. While I agree that iPad is a wonderful way to do email and web functions, I feel like the iPhone 4 is hands down the winner because of the fact that it is ALWAYS on me, and is far more portable. I really, really like the iPad...I just can't justify having it, with how little I feel like I would really use it. Thanks again for the help deciding though!

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You have 2 weeks to return it, right? Why not try for few more days to see if you develop a useful usage pattern for it? I use my iPad for quite a few things, though my appreciation of it grew over time.

8. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i'm actually in the exact same boat, I had bought a 64gb 3g ipad in june and ended up returning it after a few days. However I recently got bit by the ipad bug again after wishing I had something a bit larger to show off my recent vacation pictures, as well as a more portable version of my 13"MBP for quick couch look ups and what not.

So today I picked up another 64gb 3g ipad and am in the process of loading it all up now. I have made the decision that I can definitely get my money out of it in this gen & make a good portion of that back towards the new gen next year

so far I feel as though i've made the right decision, but I do have 14 more days to see if I feel different by the end of my return period

9. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I'd give it a few more days to see if you develop a pattern of using it and if mot then return it. You can say then you gave it long enough and if you don't use it take it back.

Side note : I really do love using mine, it's amazing to browse on and there are some really great applications out there.

10. Scuby macrumors regular

I have to say it does confuse me as to why people don't think about this sort of thing *before* they buy something.

Before i got mine i thought for a while about all the things i used my laptop for, which of those things i'd be able to do on my iPad, and which things would be better on the iPad. Maybe worth going through a similar list - ideally before you buy it next time!

David

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

Well play with it and see where it fits with you. If it doesn't then return it but not being a butt these are the questions that need to be asked before buying.

I don't own an iPad yet but plan to sometime next year if I don't buy another brand tablet. (I really want to see a 7" one but could make use of the 9.7")

I'm in IT. I see using it when I travel for access. Load a RDP, 5250 client on it and I'm good to go. Watch a movie in the airport, get back to the hotel if need be I can connect back to the office(via jailbroke iphone & MyWi) and make quick fixes if need be. I will admit when I travel for work I normally take my laptop but dont use it as I like to go out and explore my surroundings.

I can connect using my iPhone4. I have a RDP & 5250 client on it but the down size is the screen size.

When I'm at work I can see grabbing it when I go out to the warehouse to work on someone's terminal. I can connect to a server with it and push something to the desktop.

For home I'd use it for netflix, web browsing or an e Reader. I think it would be great for those. i can't stand reading PDF books on my laptop, also the heat sometimes from it, but I don't have a problem balancing while in bed.

12. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

These are all just your personal opinions. Your statement doesn't really offer any insight. :confused: Apps are cool and all but let's not be coy about it. A MBP can outperform an iPad doing anything.

I too have a 13" MBP and an iPhone 4. I really wanted an iPad to be used as an eReader. I still hope for a smaller 7" one, but I honestly don't see myself ever getting one. I like having an actual book too much (plus I have the iPhone 4 for any music/Internet need). Once I came to my senses, it's basically a big iPod Touch. Nothing more, nothing less. If anything, it's more awkward to use because of it's size being comparable to that of a netbook yet being way more fragile.

I don't see it having a spot in my tech lineup. Maybe you will or won't. When I'm at home I use both my MBP and iPhone in certain situations. When I'm out, it's the iPhone 4 all the way.

13. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I have a MBP 13", iPhone and iPad 3G 64gb. I wasn't sure that I would use an iPad either but I realized that in many cases it would be easier to take my iPad with me rather than my MBP. Now I use my iPad for watching films, reading, light word processing and presentation creation, sofa surfing and most recently as an additional monitor for my MBP when I need a little extra screen space.

14. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

These are not my opinions, this is what Steve Job said at the event.

Steve Jobs: "There needs to be key things that it can do it better than the Macbook and better than the iPhone. And thats the iPad"

So with taking his words I put out those statements that you put in bold.

15. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I got mine so I don't need to carry my MBP with me, since I have the older 15" model it is heavy and bulky.

The iPad is not for everyone so if it doesn't fit your need then return it.

16. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Oh yeah. He sure did say that. :eek: That still sounds like Steve trying to get people excited about it. Besides watching movies and browsing on a larger screen, I don't see how the iPad outperforms the iPhone.

17. gatearray macrumors 65816

To quote your earlier post, this is your personal opinion. Many of us in the iPad section of these forums feel differently. :)

Still, I agree... If you're really jazzed about your MBP and have an iPhone and don't mind sitting at a laptop to do 90% of what most people do on their full fledged computers these days, then by all means, my advice would be to return it. The iPad isn't for everybody, especially when $$$ is a factor.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i have my imac upstairs and my pc downstairs wee keep the ipad in the kitchen and i use my iphone when i don't feel like using my computers. if im in the kitchen or out in the yard i use the ipad. and when im lazy or not around the house i use my ipad (im lazy 50% of the time). but usual my dad uses the pc i use my imac and my mother uses the ipad and of course i use my iphone. so it fits perfectly

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree that you should give it a few more days if possible. I held off buying my iPad for a long time because I wasn't sure how I'd use it. I have an iMac, an iPhone 4, and a nice new 4 lb work laptop I can pretty well treat as my own. Over the last several months though I found myself in all these situations where I didn't want to get out my laptop so I'd end up using the phone. A couple of years ago that was fine - the fact that you could do all that on a phone was incredible. Today the reality is that while I still think the iPhone is incredible, the screen is just too small for an enjoyable experience if you have other options. The iPad fits nicely between the iPhone and a laptop. Of course that makes it a true luxury, but one I am glad to have. Sitting on the couch, in bed, reading the paper over coffee in the morning - these are all things that I prefer using the iPad. Let alone reading news articles, or full versions of magazines or books. All of those are infinitely better on the iPad. It's also smaller and easier to carry than I ever expected. Even in its case it is slim enough to slide in the pocket of the (I thought) already very slim sleeve I carry my laptop in, and it barely adds to the bulk. When I travel it will replace several books, magazines, and my travel journal I always carry with me. I'll actually reduce bulk by carrying the iPad.

20. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

If I had an iphone and a laptop I would not want or need an ipad. I have my Mac at home and a plain old cell phone, so My ipad is my portable computing device. It is perfect for me.

Before I got the ipad I was looking at netbooks. So glad I waited for the ipad. Yeah, it cost more than a netbook, but less than a macbook and it is a lot more portable than a laptop or netbook.

21. big samm macrumors 65816

like the op I have all 3 devices... the iPad is cool because it's not too small not too big not too heavy... I mean reading a ibook, streaming a tv show from hulu, a movie from netflix, or showing photos to a friend on the iPad is just the best experience possible.... mbp is just too big and heavy(short on battery) and the iPhone is just too small for the house ( but perfect outside) I don't use the iPad for work or anything I just use it for entertainment.... photos, movies , videos , music , games, surfing, the heck even as a remote control for my apple tv... Can't forget the battery on this thing is phenomenal
    it's not for everyone... And like Steve Jobs said if you don't like it bring it back! I know I won't!

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you can't figure it out on your own then you obviously don't need it.

23. Pinger macrumors regular

I found I haven't pickednup my laptop since buying this iPad.. Compared to my laptop it's just more convenient and faster.. Coming out of sleep mode it is instantly ready to go, then touch screen is much nicer then using a touch pad or mouse but the really great thing is battery life, I'm getting over 10 hours of USE on a single charge, something my laptop or Smarphone can't come close to... For me the iPad is a definate keeper, well until the 2nd Generation iPad comes out :)

24. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

If you have a MacBook and an iPhone than your set. You can do everything on the Macbook at home and elsewhere at times and have your iPhone for portable needs.

So now if you want a BETTER experience than you macbook and don't want to use the small screen that the iPhone has, then purchase that "luxury and unnecessary item" called the iPad.

It's not needed but helps do a few things better if you do some key things a lot such as email, browsing, reading..ect.

EX. I don't want to buy a magazine subscription on a MBP and read it from a there, nor use the small screen iPhone because the experience won't be that great on there

Just imagine the iPad as a newspaper where you hold it with two hands and read articles & news.

The apps makes some news app more fun by page flicking, tapping video/articles to read more.

Don't forget the games, utilities, YouTube.

Yes the MBP can do it on a bigger screen but it's the fun and simplicity factor that is on the iPad

If you don't think it's worth the cash to get an iPad to meet between your Macbook or iPhone. Then thats okay and understandable.

25. mbrown71189 macrumors newbie

I have all three as well. Aside from all the great features of the iPad (gaming, video/pictures, email, etc.) I use my iPad for work. I'm in sales and marketing, so I love that I can bring my iPad to a client's office, press a button and have the iPad on to show him or her a PowerPoint presentation or a slideshow of our products or figures from our last quarter sales. I work in the laser aesthetic industry and am always showing doctors before and after pictures of our products results. Doctors are always running around all over the place, so the portability of the iPad has become a sort of Godsend for someone like me. I guess the question to ask yourself is do you really need it, and will it help me in everyday use? It certainly is helping me everyday.

On another note, I have been also interviewing for a different job in marketing (I want to make the transition from traveling constantly to going in an office). When the interviewer asks me to show him or her some examples of my work and I pull out my iPad, it makes a huge impression on them. I had one executive ask me right after I pulled it out: "Is that one of those crazy iPad things? Man, that is nice." It just kind of put an extra little something in the interview that seemed to have helped out, since I got called back for a second interview.

So try it out for a week or so and see how you can implement it in your everyday life. If you can't find anyway, then return it and get your money back. Good luck man.

-Matt