Where/how to get a cheap Prius?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xdxdaustin, Jul 30, 2013.

1. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

I am looking for a first car and ideally I would like a Prius! However, I am definitely on a first car budget lol. The maximum I have to work with is about 7,000-8,000. Are there any recommendations where I could look to get a 2005+ Prius, preferably with an Aux port?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why? Those things are awful.

3. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

Lol because that's the only car in that price range that could get me from my boring town to New York and back on a tank of gas for 35$ I'd really rather a Volt but that's just not financially feasible for my situation, especially being a first car.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd rather spend a bit more in gas and have a car that actually moves when you put your foot down on the accelerator. Slow doesn't even begin to describe those things.

You could get a Jetta or Golf TDI that not only gets excellent gas mileage, but it will beat a horse and buggy in a drag race.

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I had a Prius before my ex got in in the divorce. I didn't notice much lack of power other than when going over mountains, it was slooow to climb, otherwise it was good. But I'm not the type to peel off from stop light to stop light.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Personally, I wouldn't bother with used hybrid vehicles...replacing battery packs can get expensive. I agree with yg17, a good diesel would net you high mpg w/ out sacrificing drivability (I used to drive these things all the time when I worked at a Toyota dealer...not fun). Even a gasoline Fiesta would be a good choice for overall price.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

After being stuck with Priuses as rentals on a couple different occasions, I'm just stating my opinion. Not a chance in hell I'd ever buy one.

9. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

In southern Utah the speed limit is 80 on the interstate. I saw a prius going the speed limit. To be honest it kind of scared me a little... Wonder how long it took to accelerate to that?

10. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

Speed isn't a big deal for me! I don't plan on restricting myself in my driving habits because I live a Podunk little town so I need to go far to get places. People that have them seem to love them. I would really only consider another car if it was in that price range and got 40+ mpg.

LOL yeah really

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Don't. The money you "save" on gas are included in the Prius' up-front and maintenance price.

12. MarkG21 macrumors regular

For my job, I drive Prius's as company cars. Prior to getting my job I had a very negative connotation of Prius's like many in this thread. I'd have to say that the newer models (last two years) are not that bad. I always put it in power mode and it accelerates pretty good and get 50 mpg while in power mode. Now if I leave it in normal mode, forget about it, feel like I'm going nowhere.

That being said, me, I'd would not buy one for myself for personal car.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Didn't take too long. Never timed it in the one I used to drive, but didn't notice a lack of power compared to other cars. Obviously it isn't a sports car, but it's got plenty of power.

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Hmm, I thought the 0-60 times were pretty long on the prius, but that was years ago. Perhaps they've improved a lot more than I think they have! Or perhaps I have been watching too much Top Gear :D

15. 0007776 Suspended

Like I said I never actually timed it, but you could easily get up to 65 on the freeway onramp before you have to merge with traffic. And the onramps around where I live aren't super long. I think it was an '05 or '06 model.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

A good used VW TDI runs off diesel fuel, makes far more torque, gets the better real world gas mileage, and will be cheaper to maintain

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All I know is I did a lot of highway driving in a Prius in an area where the merge lanes on the highway aren't particularly long, and it was not able to get up to the 70 MPH speed limit by the time I was running out of lane and had to merge left into traffic. It didn't seem safe. This was a 2011 or 12 model.

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

If your after MPG, get a deisel , the TDI VWs and new Chevy Cruze Eco are faster than the Prius, and are cheaper to maintain. And in the real world average better MPG.

I once rented a little deisel Polo in Europe, had way more torque than a Prius, for half the price with similar features and I got 68mpg.

Match that Prius.

And at Least in the USA, the VW TDIs and Chevy Cruze are available with real transmissions. The Prius is not

Now personally I feel that MPG is meaningless, my daily driver has a 340hp v8 and is real wheel drive. I think that matters more than 3 gallons of gas

19. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

Don't waste your time with that filth. Get a responsible gasoline engine with the same gas mileage and less maintenance cost.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I can make it from Pittsburgh to Philly with 1/4 of a tank to spare in my Fiesta. That's less than $35. They start at $14,000 so I'm sure you can find one used for less. Bonus points because it's a gasoline powered car, so there most exotic part in it is a standard transmission that's computer controlled to make it automatic, as opposed to a "traditional" automatic transmission. And yes it has aux-in.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Those are great simple little cars. Great MPG.

A Prius doesn't really get great MPG when you consider the excessive costs, and its less environmentally friendly than a hummer with that big battery full of heavy metals in it. Its not quick, not even torquey. Its not that great.

A Prius of more of a hippy style statement car than anything else.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think you are going to find a Prius within that price range. You'll most likely find ±10 year old Prius with a ton of miles for that price. Anyways, the real problem is that the MPG (I'm assuming that's what you are buying them for), decreases as the battery continues to age/die. Replacing it also very expensive (couple grand minimum).

You could get, like, a Corolla (1.8L) and get good gas mileage in your budget. A diesel VW would get even better MPG, but might be out of your budget for a reasonable car.

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This, a Prius is not a car for the OP. They're expensive, don't get great MPG for how much you have to spend to buy and maintain them, have questionable reliability, and they're little more than a hippy style statement.

A regular gas car would be much cheaper while offering 40+mpg while being cheaper.

24. xdxdaustin thread starter macrumors regular

You guys have given me some great insight and input! Definitely will be looking at the Fiesta route.

25. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Good choice, its a Ford so you know it will be well made and reliable with great warranty.

And unlike a Prius it won't require expensive maintenance.

Another good option would be the VW Pre owned TDis, they get well above 40mpg and can easily last 300,000 miles