Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
I don't need to learn how to do anything.. I have sold many things on both craigslist and ebay.

last time I checked 24 hours is still a LOT longer than 20 minutes I have sold a phone for on Craigslist.

I said within 24 hours. And your 20 minute claim is BS anyway. Unless you were selling to the guy in the apartment across the hallway.

I have sold many things on craigslist and never had to deal with anyone not showing up when they said they wanted to buy something. Plus when I'm selling, I can tell them to meet me 5 minutes away at a gas station, and tell me when they get there. Little chance I have to worry about them not showing up.

You still have to wait for them and be available to them. Nice if you can get people to drive all the way to you. But having that happen all the time is more BS.

Yes listing on ebay is still pretty easy, but there are WAY more options and things to chose from on ebay than there are on craigslist. On CL I put a title, email, location and description and I'm done. On ebay you have to chose from things like buy it now, how long the auction should last, making your listing stand out, different layouts, etc. There are a LOT more boxes full of selections and information to fill out on ebay than craigslist. And contrary to your opinion, not every person has a paypal account. Especially probably someone asking for advice on where to sell something. That means more time setting it up, linking to your bank account etc. Plus with paypal, you don't have instant access to your funds without a paypal debit card. YOu will have to wait for the funds to transfer to your bank account, which will take a few days. Someone new to selling is likely to have to setup a new paypal account, and thus would not have a paypal debit card, meaning yet again, more wait time to get their money.

Still takes no time at all to list. You can do it on a phone. And those options allow you to reach a larger audience, and get top dollar for your product. It's a lot easier to reach a buyer on the west coast with ebay than it is with CL.

I agreed it is slightly more dangerous due to the fact that you have to meet with someone face to face, but honestly how many people have been killed in a craigslist deal?

I can think of one and several more that have reported to be robbed at the meeting.

You got double the price of the iPad because there was no supply left after the launch day and that's what people are willing to pay. I could sell it for the same amount on craigslist, and guess what?? I get to keep EVERY PENNY, 100% of the sale. On ebay you don't, you have to pay fees, paypal fees, buy it now fees, shipping, etc. I don't care how you slice it, you are not making more money than me when you have to pay fees and I do not.

I guess you can't read either. I said I didn't even get one email from the CL listing. Not for the price I wanted. Sold fast on ebay. And yea, there are fees, but like I said before and you can't seem to read very well, build the fees into the cost. Shipping is paid for by the buyer. So I kept 100% of the money I wanted also.

I never claimed that craigslist was the best solution for everyone or everywhere. All I said is that your claim that ebay is the fastest, easiest, and most money are flat out WRONG.

Well, you won't change my mind and I won't change yours. You are entitled to your opinion even if it's wrong. CL is ok for local sales. Ebay gets your product out to people all over....people with money. It also allows people to put it on their charge card....so they are more apt to pay a higher price because it's not cash out of their wallet at the time.

----------

Most? Ha.
I sold my 4S (new) on Ebay for $350 (which I think is a very reasonable price)
After all of the fees and shipping, I only got to pocket $280.

I will be using CL next time I sell for sure.

70 dollars in fees? Bull ****.

You are REALLY doing it wrong.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I said within 24 hours. And your 20 minute claim is BS anyway. Unless you were selling to the guy in the apartment across the hallway.

Umm, no it's not BS, I have sold a phone in less than 20 minutes before. You do know craigslist is organized by city right? It's not like people are coming from California to buy my phone in Colorado. Even if it takes an hour, two hours, five hours for someone to call and come buy it (which it never has), ALL of those times are LESS than 24 hours. Only someone who can't count would try to tell me that selling a phone in 24 hours is faster than 1, 2, even 5, or 10, or 15 hours.

It's not BS to have people come to you... you're the seller, pretty easy to tell people where they have to go to get the phone. If I'm at work, they can come close to my office. If I'm out shopping they can meet me there. If I'm at home, come on by. It's not hard to dictate where someone has to meet you when they are trying to buy something that YOU have. Get that through your head.

You didn't keep 100% of the money. If you sold an iPad for $1000, and had to pay $200 in fees, but could have sold the same iPad on CL for $850, $900, or the same $1000, you would make more money. Again, only a person who doesn't know how to count would argue that they are making more money off of the same sale price when one involves high fees, and the other does not. Basing your opinion of CL off of one transaction makes your points even less valid. Maybe you are the one who should learn how to do it right.

I have not stated OPINIONS, I have stated FACTS.... craigslist is FASTER than ebay, contrary to your claim, cl brings MORE money than ebay because there are no fees, contrary to your claim. Those are not opinions, those are flat out facts. Get over it. And someone can't have an opinion that is wrong, again, contrary to your claim. An opinion is not something that is true or false. Maybe you should study a dictionary to help you better understand the words you are using.

There is a reason many people are no longer using ebay and now sell their items locally over CL. There is a reason ebay has less and less individual auctions, and more and more ebay stores every day.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I'd say imore, macrumors forums, then Swappa. Sold my last few phones on swappa with no issues and lack of fees being jacked from me like ebay likes to do. ebay and CL are options, but my number one is swappa.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Umm, no it's not BS, I have sold a phone in less than 20 minutes before. You do know craigslist is organized by city right? It's not like people are coming from California to buy my phone in Colorado. Even if it takes an hour, two hours, five hours for someone to call and come buy it (which it never has), ALL of those times are LESS than 24 hours. Only someone who can't count would try to tell me that selling a phone in 24 hours is faster than 1, 2, even 5, or 10, or 15 hours.

It's not BS to have people come to you... you're the seller, pretty easy to tell people where they have to go to get the phone. If I'm at work, they can come close to my office. If I'm out shopping they can meet me there. If I'm at home, come on by. It's not hard to dictate where someone has to meet you when they are trying to buy something that YOU have. Get that through your head.

You didn't keep 100% of the money. If you sold an iPad for $1000, and had to pay $200 in fees, but could have sold the same iPad on CL for $850, $900, or the same $1000, you would make more money. Again, only a person who doesn't know how to count would argue that they are making more money off of the same sale price when one involves high fees, and the other does not. Basing your opinion of CL off of one transaction makes your points even less valid. Maybe you are the one who should learn how to do it right.

I have not stated OPINIONS, I have stated FACTS.... craigslist is FASTER than ebay, contrary to your claim, cl brings MORE money than ebay because there are no fees, contrary to your claim. Those are not opinions, those are flat out facts. Get over it. And someone can't have an opinion that is wrong, again, contrary to your claim. An opinion is not something that is true or false. Maybe you should study a dictionary to help you better understand the words you are using.

There is a reason many people are no longer using ebay and now sell their items locally over CL. There is a reason ebay has less and less individual auctions, and more and more ebay stores every day.

Ok fine. If you aren't going to read, I give up. You win.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I did read, you are trying to tell me..

Facts are now opinions.

Opinions can be wrong.

24 hours is less than 1

The same sale price nets you more money when you have to deduct fees than when you don't.

A+ logic you got going on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.