Where is flash for iphone 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vampyr, Mar 19, 2009.

1. vampyr macrumors regular

Of all the wonderful features that are coming out with iPhone 3.0... what happened to flash?
    Even my banks login page now requires me to have flash player installed just to type in my login.

Please Apple... we want flash compatibility with the iPhone! PLEASE!

:rolleyes:

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Not entirely Apple's problem. Whine to Adobe until they make it.

3. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Didn't Adobe say they are working with Apple? Maybe it might debut on the new iphone.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Adobe's been working on an ARM optimized version of Flash 10.

They've show previews on WM, Symbian and Android devices.

So every phone maker should get a chance at the final version later this year.

The only question will be if Apple will allow it, or try to use a crippled version so people can't write apps that aren't gotten through the STore.

5. sharp65 macrumors 6502

It's entirely in Apple's court, Adobe has already shown that it's possible.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There will NOT be flash on the iPhone.

This is not an opinion, it's a fact that Apple has gone way out of their way to come up with many flash alternatives over the last two years.

There's no reason for them to go to all that trouble and then just say "oh, we changed our mind."

It's not gonna happen, and there's never been a single reason to believe it IS going to happen.

7. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

No they have not.

They have made claims they are making progress but no one outside of adobe has seen first hand (publicly) if adobe has been able to make a version of flash that runs on the iphone that is NOT a bloated, cpu hogging, battery draining safari crawling POS.

Until they do, adobe ceos can talk all they want, and people can blame apple all they want to but until adobe publicly shows a version running on the iphone that solves the problems above, this is all in adobe's court.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

None of that matters. I predict that if Adobe comes out with great mobile flash software tomorrow, Apple would still block it.

It's not in Apple's business intrests to have that on the phone, no matter how well it works. They'll keep it off, I am certain.

So "how well it works" has nothing to do with it. (Except that it's a nice easy excuse for now!)

9. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Didnt they change their mind on a lot of stuff on tuesday?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Having MMS doesn't hurt Apple.
    Having cut and paste doesn't hurt Apple.
    Having, well, ANY of that stuff doesn't hurt Apple.

Letting flash on the iPhone would hurt Apple's app-store, and it would hurt the control they have over the iPhone and how it can be upgraded in the future.

They're not going to put themselves in that position.

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Prob. a lot of truth to that. Still, step 1 is adobe building a non suck tailpipe version of flash for the iphone.

Once they do that (maybe not till the ARM assisted version) they we can say for sure it is apple blocking. Hopefully by then, flash will become more irrelevant (save for games sites etc.) and hopeully more and more devs will stop using it for sites.

A plumber can dream can't he?
    :D

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There is a HUGE difference between "changing their mind" and finally getting features implemented up to apple standards (ease of use, intuitive) so they can be released.

Where did apple ever say "copy and paste? no way!".

I just love how people speak for companies with no knowledge or evidence provided.

13. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

This flash is going to hurt the app store thing going around is false.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Explain.

15. Pooshka macrumors 65816

16. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

How?

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

google:
    flash iphone site:forums.macrumors.com

Flash is fairly useless, mostly used for animated ads that sap battery life.
    Videos run much more efficiently in 264 mp4 than in 264 with flash container.

18. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

I mean most people who use the iphone will still use the app store for their apps. I don't even see flash in terms of apps but more in terms of the internet, large portions of the web use flash and a lot of the videos on the net that are currently not on Youtube use the flash. For example I gave my lil sister my iphone to play with and she couldn't watch a video on the web because it was in flash.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Flash applications are a big part of the internet, like banking.

There are great banking apps in the appstore.

20. aok1975 macrumors 6502

They could have put the old technology on the first iphone, but decided not to. Nos they decided to. Thats a change to me.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's not what Apple said.

I mean, maybe they're lying, but why would they lie? If you're going to accuse them of that it would be nice to have a reason, at least.

I can't think of any.

22. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

It will be here someday. Until then, be happy you got MMS, Copy & Paste, and background processes.

Can't people stop complaining.. Nope, its retail. :rolleyes:

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I would primarily use a version of Flash for the iPhone for things other than viewing videos, so guess it doesn't really matter to me. But...

Is the difference in efficiency of H.264 video playback between those two container formats necessarily due to a fundamental flaw with the Flash container file format? Or would it have more to do with a suboptimal decoder in current versions of the Flash player?

24. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I think lack of Flash is a good thing. If you want animated ads, use a laptop.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But did they ever SAY they werent going to?

Again, you can throw something in thats implemented poorly and sucks to use, or you can take your time and try to get it to work/look great and easily (aka the apple approach).