Where is passbook for the iPad in iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snarestud940, Sep 19, 2012.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Can't find the passbook app in iOS 6?

Anybody find it? Please help. Thanks.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. kalexn macrumors 6502

That is sad. I really wanted it on my iPad too!

4. appswipe macrumors 6502

Its one of those weird decisions they make like omitting Stocks and Weather from the iPad.

5. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

This is quite honestly the dumbest thing ever.

It was the only "new" feature from the pack. Unreal. I don't even feel like iOS6 is any different that iOS5.

Oh yay, i have siri now....woopie.

6. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

Its the same thing as not giving a cellular enabled iPad calling functions; it just doesn't make sense for a device of this size. At starbucks are you really going to and position this thing just right and hold up the line? The cashier would have to pick up the barcode scanner while you hold the iPad up. Thats not to even mention if they bolt the scanners down.

7. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Yeah but it basically means get an iphone or itouch to do this. I like the idea for boarding passes and in airports, my ipad is out more than my iphone. I use my ipad to hold confirmations through evernote and alot of offline information. It's just a glorified bar code scanner. Yeah it sucks that person has to hold it, but if they don't support it for ipad. They probably won't support it for the 7 inch which would be (hopefully even lighter).

I just consider this a major fail. And honestly, a very big dissapointment. I like passbook in some ways better than google wallet. (although both are very different and shouldn't be considered the same).

8. dchao macrumors 6502a

Reminders

Dont feel it need another thread. So let me ask this question here:

Have they removed the "Reminders" app from iOS6 for iPad 2/3 as well?

Thanks.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Oh please stop crying... An Siri on iPad is fantastic!

10. appswipe macrumors 6502

You are essentially making up reasons that don't exist in reality.

Not everyone owns an iPhone. LTE iPads are not "cellular enabled". You aren't holding up the line any more by paying by iPad than paying by phone. The baristas often pick up the barcode scanners because not all customers are comfortable with others holding their iPhones.

This kind of nonsensical excuses happens every time a feature doesn't exist on an Apple product. Siri, Quality FaceTime Camera, LTE and now Passbook. it is more likely a temporary omission and will be resolved in a future build or with the next hardware revision. (Just like NFC and all the FUD being tossed around)

11. xdxdaustin, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

xdxdaustin macrumors regular

Sir, I beg to differ. LTE iPads are indeed cellular enabled. If LTE is not a cellular technology, just as 3G is, then what would it classified as? Therefore continuing on, if Apple so desired, on these models, they could have built in a calling app, thus allowing you to make calls from your iPad. Would you ever do that? Would you honestly hold a tablet up to your face? What I am trying to convey with the Starbucks scenario is that it would be terrible awkward to try and do this. It wouldn't be as easy as a swipe and go due to the size of the iPad. Again, thats not to mention if businesses decided to bolt down scanners then you would really be S.O.L.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not an Apple sympathizer. I would fully agree with anyone that the 4S really should have had LTE, the 5 should have NFC and a host of other issues of this nature. I personally find this to be an appropriate omission.

12. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

Most people buy wifi iPads. Passbook would not make sense for most iPad users

13. KHC831 macrumors member

people said the same thing about siri not making sense on wifi only devises.

14. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

They added a clock app though! I'm seriously happy about my iPad alarm clock now!

15. tey112 macrumors member

At the couple of starbucks I have been to with my iphone, they all pick up the scanner and scan my phone. Doesn't change that using the iPad would look as hilarious as using it for a camera.

16. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Welcome to the world of iOS.... a new phone to add another row of icons!!

17. Huge125 macrumors member

Huge125

No, Reminders is here on iOS6 on my iPad 2. Didn't use it much before but think they added a calendar in the bottom left corner. Of course that could have always been there...

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Can we please stop calling the people who work at Starbucks "baristas"? It's as much a lie as saying Starbucks sells actual coffee.

Anyway, I was kind of bummed this isn't available on iPad. Mostly because I wanted to experiment with it and I am unwilling to update my 4S and loose the fantastic jailbreak. I'm glad to see the clock app though. It really is odd how certain apps just never made it to iPad.

A $500+ tablet with no clock app- that's just insane.

19. appswipe, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

Therefore continuing on, if Apple so desired, on these models, they could have built in a calling app, thus allowing you to make calls from your iPad. [/QUOTE]
    You clearly understood what I mean, but it we're going to nitpick then I'll agree. LTE tablets use cellular technology to utilize the network despite not having phone service available. But turning it into a true "cell phone" isn't as simple as creating an app because there are a few more missing components.

Seriously? For someone trying to be so precise about technology and the classification of "cellular enabled" devices then why are you intentionally choosing to be so closed minded about real world usage? What about bluetooth, speakerphone or headphones? "Holding a phone to your ear" hasnt been the ONLY way of answering a call in decades, yet you dramatically omit them in order to secure a point that nobody is arguing.

Do you even go to Starbucks? Are you aware that the current starbucks app already is in use by people on iPads to scan and pay? All Passbook does is simplify it by consolidating your starbucks card to their app which is a convenience that you are arguing against for some reason.

Sure, the iPad is an awkward device for these situations but it works. And with the iPad Mini (supposedly) down the line then I dont see why someone would try to make up reasons for NOT allowing a convenience app to be conveniently available.

20. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

Exactly! The "iPad is an awkward device for these situations". That is the exact reason why Apple would not include Passbook! Apple doesn't do (or at least aims not to do) awkward.

Well thats the iPad Mini and not the iPad were talking about now isn't it :p? I could more feasibly see it being included on the alleged iPad Mini, however, it would still be awkward.

21. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Who would ever pull out their iPad to scan a coupon? Oh wait I thought the same thing when I thought who would ever use the iPad as a camera and I've seen it plenty of times.

22. henchman macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't it be up to the owner to decide wether he wants to use his iPad as a phone and pass code holder?

23. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

Maybe I should rephrase my self a little here….

I am trying to explain Apples thought process and not what I would or wouldn't do. It should be up to to the owner just as it is their hardware (jailbreaking anyone?) but its not and I am simply trying to say why.

24. JCTUSA macrumors newbie

So, Apple making Passbook available in the iPad 3 is dumb?????

25. appswipe, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

No. Some people are just choosing to be really short sighted in all this.

The reality is that Apple is partnering with some very big companies here so this idea that they want to LIMIT the amount of people who use a product is ridiculous. Why would anyone think that using an iPad in a Starbucks would be impractical? Or for flights, why would anyone claim that it would look "stupid" to scan an iPad Boarding Pass but would look "cool" to scan a crumpled peice of home printed 8x11 paper?

PassBook isnt meant to be a fashion statement, its meant to be Apple's dive into digital wallets. And Apple doesnt care what shape your wallet is, only that there's money inside.