Where is photo stream in ios8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Blorzoga, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Why should there be Photostream (photos in the cloud) when the whole Photos app is on the cloud now?

3. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Because, with photo stream, it limited the number of photos in the cloud to 1,000. If you use the cloud for all your photos, you have to pay Apple for storage, that's why.

Now, can someone answer my question?

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's better to start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I can.

It's been replaced by iCloud Photos.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Pretty sure photostream is still there. You don't have to enable the iCloud Photo Library.

7. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I'm not hijacking a thread, it's a relevant question. In iOS8, you can either use iCloud to place ALL your photos in the cloud and pay a monthly storage fee, or not use iCloud and then the photo stream is renamed "Recently Added"

----------

Incorrect. It's still there, it's called "Recently added"

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

So the response to "No camera roll iOS 8" is "Where is photo stream in ios8?". Gotcha. And just a coincidence that none of the subsequent posts are in regarding the camera roll. :rolleyes:

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Not everyone will have to pay a monthly storage fee. My iCloud photo library is currently 2.1gb. Without a camera roll my iCloud backup is only about 400mb.

10. mrcarter2 macrumors member

All the irrelevant and wrong comments aside, photo stream is an option in settings. You have a choice between iCloud photo and photo stream and when selected, photo stream shows up before as an album. Recently added is the equivalent of the camera roll in that it's just a long scrolling list of photos recently added (within the last thirty days) to your iCloud photo library.

Attached Files:

11. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Maybe you should leave the policing of the threads to the moderators. If you don't have an answer to a question that was closely related to the initial question, then just move on to another thread. If you have an answer to the initial question to get the thread "back on track", then, by all means, post it.

----------

That's just it, there is no album called "photostream"

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Not exactly. Recently Added does not get cleared when you upload to iPhoto and say "Delete Photos" after the upload. Camera Roll did. Right now I have 842 pictures in my Recently added. However, since I upload today without taking any pictures after my Camera Roll would have 0 pictures. To me this is a huge difference. I manage my photos in iPhoto for Mac (at least until the new Photo App for Mac is release). Once uploaded I move them into Events. Then I Sync to all of my devices. So now I have 842 pictures in Recently Added which are also in the Events section. Duplicated. Of course because of this I really did not like iPhoto Stream.

I think once you upload (and delete) your photos into iPhoto (or similar app) they should be gone from other locally managed folders. Maybe this will happen with the new Photo's App.

Also, somehow the upload into iphoto knows which photos are NEW since my last upload/delete process. But not sure how. I miss Camera Roll because of it.

13. matrix07, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Lousy answer. So now you don't have to pay for storage for these "Recently added"?

14. Sharkey311 Suspended

All I want to know is how you add photos you take on your iPhone to a folder that was synced from your computer via iTunes. Been driving me mad.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

have you tried turning icloud photo library off?

16. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I've never had it turned on. I have tons of photos so I didn't want them to be uploaded an be charged a storage fee.

17. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Unfortunately the new photos app in iOS 8 doesn't have a photo stream category in events. It is mainly there now to backup photos to other devices for the time being.

Case in point: I can't see my photo stream album on my iPhone, but it does upload into iPhoto on OS X Yosemite PB 2 when I open iPhoto.

18. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

19. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

In my opinion it's worth it. You'd have all of your photos accessible on all your devices.

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

right now. But who knows if that will still be there when the software is released to the public. From the way they are talking about 'all your photos in the cloud' it might be gone, making this is temp feature just for the developers

21. shandyman Suspended

Have you checked settings to ensure my photo stream is turned on? If it's off, turn it on and restart the device.

It's possible that photo stream mayb be borked in the betas anyway and you'll have to wait for GM for proper functionality.

22. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

23. Zcott macrumors 68020

24. alksion, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Great! I take it we'll have to wait for Photos for Mac to be released? Also, is it only storing in the cloud and I still manually have to import them to my local photos app on my iMac?

Edit: Spelling

25. Zcott macrumors 68020

Appleinsider claimed they'd be accessible from a browser but I haven't seen that reported anywhere else.

The way it seems to work is that you're asked if you want to store them on your device and cloud or keep thumbnails on your device and store hi-res versions on iCloud. Since we haven't seen a Photos For Mac beta I'm not sure how it'll work on there.