Where is the Contacts button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sowlerrmgh, May 5, 2008.

1. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

I was just looking at the iphone in an apple store and I was comparing it with an ipod touch.

I suddenly noticed that the touch has its own contacts button on the home screen but the iphone doesn't.

What is up with that??

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

the contacts "app" isn't available yet on the iphone, though if you hack it, there is a 3rd party application that can add it to your home screen...

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

it is in the 2.0 firmware.

5. sowlerrmgh thread starter macrumors member

At least the issue is being sorted out in 2.0

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's not an issue.
    If you click on "Phone," "Contacts" is right within it.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's a hack right now.

Just like people are putting the iPhone apps on the older Touches, you can put the Touch apps (Contacts, Video, Music) on the iPhone.

I assume they might put them on 2.0, or make them available legally through the mobile App Store... :D

8. infowarfare macrumors 6502

A couple of people have already touched (pardon the pun) on this but others still seem to think this is a missing feature on the iPhone, so let's clarify:

1. The iPhone never needed a seperate "Contacts" button because the Contacts were built into the Phone application itself.

2. The reason they added a "Contacts" button to the iPod Touch is because it HAD NO PHONE! So it needed to have a seperate Contacts app., but the iPhone does NOT.

Clear? Good. Move on...

9. parham55 macrumors member

Granted, I do not own an iPhone, but I think it would have been better for Apple to make contacts on the home screen an option. I don't always need to deal with my phone program when i have a need for the contacts program in my SE P990i. I am pleased to hear this issue is being worked out in 2.0 because I access my contacts more than my phone. It sounds like the way it is now there is an extra step that could be skipped with a contacts button on the home screen. I will be very happy when I buy the 3G iPhone and can throw my old phone against a brick wall.

10. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Well then, you need to try out the iPhone first before you judge it because you don't need to "deal" with the Phone app. You simply need to touch it...

It's really quite simple. Touch the Phone button on the screen and the first thing that comes up is all of your contacts (if that's what you have it defaulted to, which I do.) Couldn't be simpler.

And from there you simply choose the contact you want by touching it, then you can either touch their phone number to dial, touch their email address to send an email or touch their mailing address to launch their location on Google maps.

Having a seperate Contacts button on the iPhone is redundant and unnecessary clutter (to those of us who actually have an iPhone.)

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Dammit Jim, I'm an iPod, not a phone!! Errr... wait.

Going to the Phone app first, is an extra step that other devices don't require. For that matter, devices with keypads allow one-button dialing.

It all depends on what you use your device most for. If as a phone, then of course you'd want phone functions to be most easily available. Same for contacts, and you name it.

It's why customization is an important property of any personal device with multiple functions.

To you it is. I like having Contacts up front as well.

12. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Ok, did you miss my post directly above? Have you tried the iPhone? Here it is as simple as possible for you kdarling:

Touch the Phone app> List of contacts comes up

Touch the Contacts app> List of contacts comes up

What the hell is the difference!? The difference is, the Phone app IS the contacts app plus all of the phone's features. Apple is all about simplifing. A seperate Contacts app is not needed!

Seriously, there are just so many threads on this forum that make such a big deal about the tiniest little things... is are society really all that lazy and spoon-fed that we have to have every little thing handed to us and spelled out for us? Nobody seems to be able to think for themselves anymore let alone work out simple little things such as this... :rolleyes:

13. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

dude, just let it go. obviously you're dealing with a lower for of intelligence if it's that hard for them to grasp your walk-thru. the rest of this message board understands what you're saying.

just let it go....

14. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Yeah, you're right. It just gets me so worked up...

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You're right, I mixed up too many things in a quick editing job. I was thinking of the extra step for bringing up the keypad and lack of quick dials (except for voice mail).

(I gave my iPhone to my stepson last October and only have an iPod touch now.)

Mea culpa!

16. infowarfare macrumors 6502

No problem, I've seen your posts before and I knew you were smarter than that!

:)

17. ShamBone macrumors newbie

Where is the setting to default the phone app to the contact list whenever it is opened? Unless I'm blind, it isn't under settings->phone or settings->general.

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

The option to set your "Home" button is: Settings, Home Button, and you have 3 choices....CONTACTS is NOT one of them, the only one close is Phone Favorites which is your call list of favorites.

As others have stated, when 2.0 comes out the contact app will be available on your home screen. Just wait a few more months.

Good Luck

19. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Thanks for proving my point. Now for your lesson on how to use your iPhone:

Touch the Phone app. Now Touch the Contacts. Now exit out to the home screen by hitting the Home button. Now next time you Touch the Phone app, your Contacts will be the default view. And I always keep it in this default view.

Now was it really that hard?

20. infowarfare macrumors 6502

I never said the Home button pulls up your contacts or was a choice to add the option. I had never mentioned the home button at all with regards to setting it or contacts. This thread has nothing to do with the Home button settings. You must be working too hard?

21. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

First, I never specifically said anyone in particular. Second, I was answering the OP's question as I quoted . Third, You are still insinuating that I do drugs and I am highly offended by it even if you changed the words. I have never touched an illegal drug in my life and for you to insuate that I am high is very insulting and it pisses me off!!! So please remove it!

Thank You!

22. ShamBone macrumors newbie

Right. And of course you realize that going through a manual "close" routine every time you use the phone app isn't as convenient as having it automatically return to the contact list. I don't consider this a major issue, but I am always looking for tweaks to simplify my usage. If I can avoid a tap or 2 every time I make a call (before or after the call) then I'm happy.

I saw this & think it's a nice customization. More options here would of course be better.

23. infowarfare macrumors 6502

You are right... I apologize and it has been changed.

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Wow....

Hey people, different strokes for different folks.

I like to default my iPhone button to the dialing pad.

I go straight to my Contacts via my Contacts button on my homepage.

I go straight to my Videos via my Videos button on my homepage.

Are we straight?

25. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Thank you...and "No" i am not working too hard when I can sit here and read thread after thread of touchy/insulting people ;)

I also apologize if you misunderstood my post...we all just seem to be touchy today on all these threads. Users are going to ask questions and I think we should all give straight answers instead of critisism and degrading comments...and that is not directed at you!!!

Hopefully, the OP's question has been answered?

Have a great day :D