Where should I go on my Honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by msharpmu, Jul 9, 2007.

1. msharpmu macrumors regular

Well, where should I go? I am willing to spend about 5k and need to go somewhere south. The wedding is on Jan. 5th so it will be cold up north. I'll take advice from actual hotels to destinations. All-inclusive preferably but willing to branch out. Thanks.

2. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Peter Island.

http://peterisland.com/

We went there for our honeymoon and it was fantastic. Stayed in the "cheapest" accommodations they had (which were still awesome) and paid just over $4k for 8days 7nights lodging for two, transport to/from Beef Island Airport, all activities on island (except SCUBA), and all meals. Liquor is extra. Dining was fabulous! Only enough rooms for about 100 total guests so it's not crowded and it is a private resort so no one bothering you on the beach.

Trust me. It's worth it.

EDIT: Looks like this might be out of reach, depending on how long you book for. We went during the very end of hurricane season, so that plays a role in pricing. You're going at the tail end of the holiday rush, so it's more expensive. It's a place that is worth waiting for if you can consider postponing the honeymoon for a bit.

3. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

We went to Palm Springs but only because we had been there the previous year and loved it. We got married in the Grand Canyon (stayed in Vegas) and then spent 4 days in Palm Springs and then 5 days in LA. Was great!

Congrats on the engagement though!

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Ask the other half and see where they want to go?

5. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Somewhere in the caribbean. The BVI is nice, but can be expensive. The Dominican Republic can be cheap, and Jamaica is supposed to be the most beautiful island in all the caribbean. There are many all inclusive resorts all over down there, you should be able to find one on any island you choose.
    No matter which island you go to, make sure to get away from the resort areas and experience the real island life. Good luck and have fun. Congrats.

Bless!!

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My brother and his wifey spent a week in Cancùn and the surrounding area. They really enjoyed it and brought us lots of booze. :D

8. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

9. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Heading down to Aruba in a couple of weeks for our honeymoon. Will let you know when I get back. From what it looks it should be good, although it might be a little pricey for when you want to go.

I've also heard some good things about St John's and St. Maarten.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I went to Belize for mine. I stayed at the Victoria House while I was there....it was, needless to say, perfect.

That said, it's YOUR honeymoon. Going somewhere that's meaningful to both of you (maybe you both like the beach, or wine country, or something like that) that allows you just relax is paramount to any location the people on this forum will tell you. Weddings can be stressful, and the honeymoon is the perfect time to be away from everyone and everything and just spend time with your new spouse.

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Surprised nobody has pointed out that early Jan is a good time to be in SF. :D

12. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

My vote is for a cruise, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I'll second the trip to Maui. Great weather and great food. Rent a convertible and take the road to Hanna.

We stayed at the Ritz - great breakfasts, pancakes with maple syrup and macadamia nuts.

14. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Great Barrier Reef in Australia. One of the many island in the Whitsunday's are nice.

My advice would be to hire a yacht for a week and motor around the islands (you don't need to no how to sail because they have engines). My parents did this in the 70's when it was only developed on the main islands so they could find a secluded spot out of the weather and away from people. They still talk about 30 years on.

15. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

• Tahiti (Bora Bora if you can afford it; otherwise Moorea)
    • Bali
    • St. Barth's or St. Kitts in the Caribbean
    • Sri Lanka
    • Turkey, Egypt, or Jordan (Nile Cruise is fantastic)
    • Mauritius
    • Seychelles
    • Dominican Replublic

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That may cost them more than $5000, even if they were Australian.

17. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

We went to Grand Cayman in Feb, but non-inclusive. I had the 5k limit also. Its a little more expensive with the exchange rate. Another way to save some money is get a rewards card for Airlines, I did that with delta and used my miles for both tickets.
    Other places I considered:
    Alcupoco
    St John
    Maui
    Tahiti

Think about what you all want to do and decide from there. Have fun.:) and congrats.

18. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Jamaica. Been there. Awesome place.

I'd also recommend Cuba to you, but........:eek:

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Actually, you could do Hawaii and take in SF on your way out or back, which is what we did.

Aruba is pretty pricey, but nice. There are some good prices on cruises if you're in to that. But, aside from Hawaii, and Australia, two of the most beautiful places for beaches I've been to are Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Galápagos Islands, Ecuador. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

21. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Puerta vallarta mexico.

nice views. lots to do. economical. lots of tourist. lots of americanized and mexican shops.

22. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My recommendation is a bit out in left field: the Amalfi Coast of Italy. I've traveled quite a bit and this was perhaps the most stunningly beautiful place I've visited. Capri is just the beginning of the sights you will see and the food and people can't be beat. And you'll miss the tourists in January (although the weather won't be as nice as it could). Just thought I'd throw it out there. The Romans vacationed in Amalfi and that's a good enough recommendation for me.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Shouldn't you discuss this with the significant other?

24. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I should have recommended Puerto also. Good place, not too touristy, still get the good ole Mexico feel. They have a place on a cliff called "El Set" that they filmed, I think Romancing the Stone, but its got great food and good views, very romantic. Been to Puerto twice, and the have lots of all inclusives.

There is two parts to puerto though, Nuevo V. and Old V., personally Old is better for me, closer to to town. Nuervo is more expenisive further out of town, but some nice resorts.

But, I have always wanted to try Alcupoco and go to this hotel that has private pools with the rooms, I think Las Brisas, one day I will get there.