Where should i put my ssd ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhetorique, Jul 1, 2012.

1. rhetorique macrumors newbie

Hi i recently bought an optibay and a ssd (60 gb owc 3gbps) to have a dual hard drive setup. My question is : should i put the ssd in the main bay or in the optibay ?

My other hard drive is a 200gb 7200 rpm.

My Macbook pro is an early 2008 2.5ghz with 4gb of ram.

Please argue your position (advantages, disadvantages)

Thanks a lot for your help !

P.S Optibay has a pata connection instead of a sata.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I'm not going to argue with you, but the whole point of SSDs is to speed up your system files.

So put your SSD in the main drive install OS X and put your 200Gigger in the optibay.

3. rhetorique thread starter macrumors newbie

i know this may seem easy at first, but i read some things about the 200gb hd losing its smart protection if in the optibay and i just wanted to be sure that putting the ssd in the main bay was the right choice and if another setup could'nt have been better.

4. Rajpdx macrumors regular

If the
    Optibay is PATA you can't use it in a MacBook Pro. You'll need to get another Optibay.

An alternative would be to get a 256gb SSD and just replace the Hard drive with that.

If you get a Sata Optibay or equivalent then I'd suggest SSD in the main bay, hard drive in the optical bay.

5. zil macrumors newbie

If you're goint to return the PATA OptiBay anyway, may I suggest you get an SSD drive caddy from eBay. I got mine recently and it worked without a problem. The delivery from Hong Kong took a while, but the price was much smaller then the OptiBay.

6. garstudios macrumors member

well, it doesnt really matter, sort of.

you can boot from either, and it will automatically know/choose the osx boot drive. so it doesnt matter where you put it, but....

the only thing that would matter is the speed. as in, will having the ssd in the optibay have a slower connection then it being in the main drive spot. since your ssd is 3gb/s (sata II) then, maybe it wont matter since i believe they are both sata II connections. however, you say the optibay is pata so its not going to work in the 08 macbook pro. if you get a sata optibay, both spots are basically the same. (if both do sata II) my 09 has sata ii in both bays.

however, i have seen threads here about issues with SSDs in optical drive bays. but on the other hand, theres been issues with SSDs period. so who knows.

if it were me, i would put the ssd in the main drive and the hdd in the otpibay. just because, its not a brand new machine, so go ahead and dig right in. however, with that said, im getting a new 2012 non-retina macbook pro delivered tomorrow which will have a 750gb 7200rpm drive. i will put a ssd in a optibay for osx. im only doing it this way because its a brand new computer, and i dont want to accidently screw anything up right now. (but i have done it in several other unibody macbook pros, but they were refurbed or old, so i didnt care about digging in.) but i may switch them arround in a few months or after the first year.

if youve done it before, or your tech savy.....just put the ssd in the main drive bay.....i mean if your techy, then you enjoy taking crap apart anyways.....right.

edit- i dont know if the optibays connection restricts the speed in anyway either. i actually forgot about this question. i emailed them and asked several weeks ago. never heard back. i emailed them because the question popped into my head one day while i was drooling over the 2012 releases or rather, drooling because i was going brain dead from waiting for the 2012 releases....haha

7. skyrider1 macrumors newbie

This might be different for you as I've been reading about my mid 2009 macbook pro but I think if both are the same SATA then installing an SSD in the optical drive area makes more sense because then there is the motion sensor that protects the HD in the main drive.

8. garstudios macrumors member

good idea, i didnt think about that. im glad you brought that up.

9. rhetorique thread starter macrumors newbie

That is one of the reason i was asking this question, and i was wondering if they're maybe some other pros and cons...