Where should I sell it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I have an extra 32GB iPhone 4 and am debating between Craigslist and eBay. I have a buyer lined up on Craigslist for $725 but I can probably get a bit more on eBay. What do you guys think is better in the end?

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Craigslist for sure, no paypal or evilbay fees, no shipping, no waiting for the funds, less chance of being scammed. Just meet somewhere public and in daylight, preferably a bank so you can deposit the money right away and make sure it's not counterfeit, and bringing a friend doesn't hurt.

3. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Just got an eMail from a guy. We talked, but he sounded a bit strange. Maybe because it's 11pm? He wanted me to meet him at his store though, so I guess that offers some security to me? He owns a Cell phone store though and offered me $775. Quiet a bit to be honest, so I expect he has someone lined up to buy it from him. Not sure what to do since this guy wants me to travel to his store one hour away and the other guy will meet me half way, so half an hour.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You need to meet in a more public place, like a McDonalds. He has more control over what he can do to your at a place he owns.

5. mkelly2115 macrumors member

Definitely some where neutral where there are other people around. To say he has a store seems a bit odd to me. Although it could be true, the ball is in his court.

6. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Yeah, I wouldn't meet at his store.
    Pick a public place, like a mall or McDonald's. I personally meet outside a bank, cameras are around, and not at night. Go during daylight and compromise; tell him to come halfway.

Good luck.

7. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Not sure if he can. Apparently he's running the shop. How would he have more control over what he can do?

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It'd be possibly private and he can mug you. If you want to meet there bring at least 5 tough friends!

9. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'd bring a friend. I'm also planning on placing my sisters Micro-SIM in it until I have the cash and checked it off. That way if he mugs me I can track him. What do you think of this plan?

10. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Craigslist and yea like others have said, meet in a public place and bring a friend

11. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I would say it depends on his "Store". If the guy does have a legitimate store in a strip mall or something I wouldn't be totally skeptical. But if its a windowless warehouse in an industrial park...might wanna turn around and drive home.

IMO I would sell something like this via eBay/Paypal and rest assured that while I may pay a few dollars in fees, I am gonna have my ass covered if something goes wrong. Just my $.02.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can't track him with a sim card. You need mobileMe

13. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I used Google Maps and his Store is in a strip mall, a huge one at that. I looked up the address he gave me and it shows up as: "Elite Mobile Communications San Jose" on Google. I called the number and I hear the same accent on the machine. What do you guys think? I'm a bit paranoid since this is my first Craigslist experience, sorry!

14. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I have a MobileMe account, I could just replace it with that phone temporarily?

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Definitely meet on a public place, not a place that he owns. If you can find a foo court nearby inside the mall maybe? As long as they have a lot of people or traffic within the place, you should be fine.

16. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I've never used Craigslist, but I'm about to switch to it! eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees screw you over!

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes you can.

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Gazelle.com is a good place (I only know about it because of TWiT :D) you sell it to the company, not to other people, so it's more 'safe' I think.

19. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

20. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Craigslist if you want to play it safe, eBay if you want to maximize your profit.

22. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Yeah, it was the first thing that popped up when I typed 'Gaz' in my browser. I'm pretty worried about getting ripped off If I sell it on eBay, but Craigslist is bugging me. People ultimately trying to haggle it down after agreeing on a price and whatnot. I'm thinking of taking the $725 offer over the $775. The first guy will meet me inside an In N Out burger.

23. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Hmmm. I would rather meet them outside, but there you go.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Walk away if that happens. You'll always find another buyer.