Where The Wild Things Are - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Aug 10, 2009.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Hollywood is messing with my childhood. Makes me :mad:
    Its such a short book. Really? A movie? Is it really needed?
    Whats next? An Alice in Wonderland movie staring Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter? Dont make me laugh.
    Wait. What? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-----

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I hope they don't mess it up. It could be cute, it could suck.

Same goes for Alice in Wonderland (not to detour the topic too far).

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

One of my favorite children's books.

I doubt you can take that short a children's book (one that can be read in a few mimutes), stretch it into a feature movie, and have it not suck (e.g. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas).

There are very few original ideas in Hollywood. Sigh!

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Why not? They took a ride from Disneyland into 3 huge films. Sometimes all you need is a concept to build around. I think the jury is still out on Where The Wild Things Are though. As I said, I really hope they don't screw it up.

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I have a pretty strong connection to the book as well and am usually prepared to be disappointed by efforts to turn such magic into a movie. For me, the book is about evoking a certain emotional context that goes beyond the story and the pictures on their own. Thinking about it can still make me hover in a kind of very untainted melancholic and beautiful sphere. I would imagine it to be very hard to recreate that in a movie.
    BUT - Judging by the trailer, the movie could be insanely great. Costumes as well as animating scenes of the monsters could have gone very wrong but seem really 'natural' and much better than I could have expected. Additionally the mood and that special magic of the visual scenes impressed me a lot. The photography looks amazing.

I'm also so happy they picked the Arcade Fire song as the trailer's background music. Hopefully that's an indication of what to expect for the movie's soundtrack...

The fact that Spike Jonze directed 'Being John Malkovich' which in all its surreal oddity managed to circumvent complete ridiculousness and turned out mighty good gives me further hope

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I can't wait. I love Spike Jonze stuff and the author is pretty involved in the production.

This may even get me into the cinema.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I said "good" movie. Those were rides they invented stores around to promote Disney. This is a work of literature they are going to bastardize!

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think this movie looks great!!! I can't wait to see it. Alice in Wonderland, on the other hand.....Not a big Tim Burton fan... so I will wait to see what he does with this one.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Perhaps but I think my point still stands. Sometimes all that is needed is a concept and a little creativity to run with it.

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I am looking forward to it. I hope "they" don't screw it up though I suppose any interpretation is ripe to be criticized. I'm in favor of an official TV/Movies sub-forum here.

12. ozziememz macrumors newbie

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I too am looking forward to it. Tried looking around the house for the book but I guess I gave it away to the niece/nephews a few years back :(

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The more and more I read about this and more times I see the trailer I am soooo looking forward to this movie!

15. grouper macrumors regular

i'm really excited for it. the trailer looks amazing, so i think the movie could be good.

plus, karen o is doing the soundtrack

16. Nadav macrumors regular

I can't wait for this movie, and the soundtrack. Wake Up is the perfect song for the trailer, ahhh, it just fits so well.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, I also wanted to point out that the song in the trailers is "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire from their amazing album Funeral. I've had this album since it came out, and I still can't stop listening to it. I love it.

The movie trailers look really great- I really hope that Spike Jonze was able to do justice to this childhood memory of mine.

I'm looking forward to the movie.

18. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Karen O is doing the soundtrack. I'll be there no question.

19. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

So who has already seen it ? Anyone willing to post a review ?

20. D34th macrumors regular

I have seen it but I am probably not the best to write a review. I never read the book and I went to the midnight showing, after having a some fun...

The movie was entertaining for the most part with some great lessons/messages. Very creative and intriguing with comedic and lively parts to intense, meaningful situations. I think I got most enjoyment out of the soundtrack. It really contributed to the mood/emotions that each scene was trying to portray. Cannot compare it to the book unfortunately. Of course I have heard of the book, but my prior knowledge of the story before seeing it was "it's a trippy movie based off of a legendary children's book about a kid who runs away". Interested to see what anyone else says about the movie compared to the book. I do agree with what most people said about movies never being as good as the book they are based off of.

P.S. About the new Alice in Wonderland, I have no doubt in Johnny Depp's performance and when teamed up with Tim Burton there's never disappointment. Now that's going to be a "trippy" movie...

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This movie was INCREDIBLE!

It really was one of the best movies I have ever seen, and instantly ranks with my top 5 or 10 of all time (Full Metal Jacket, Ghostbusters, Citizen Cane, Silence of the Lambs, Blade Runner, et al).

Go see it.

Here's a sort of review for it from me:

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

do you think it's suitable for a 4 yrs old?
    is it scary (from little kid's perspective)?

i'll take my older one, but not too sure about the little one.

the reviews are consistently good. so i am looking forward to it.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think it's appropriate for a 4 year old. It's PG, not G and the wild things are large and scary, plus the subject material is far too much for a child to grasp (IMO). I just don't think a little kid will "get it". There's a dark undercurrent at play here.

But for adults, at least for me an my wife, this movie was incredible. From the cinematography & detailed camera shots to the development of the characters and how it weaves a story that we all "get" but might have forgotten...
    We believe that the Wild THings each represent one aspect of a child's emotions & world view:

• Carol: anger/destruction/violence [the id]
    • KW: love/mother/safety/compassion [the super ego]
    • Judith: sass/confrontation [the id]
    • Alexander: shyness/being ignored
    • Ira: complicity/compromise [the ego]
    • Douglas: truth/honor [the ego]
    • The Bull: sadness/despair/depression
    • The Owls: All things associated with the world of adults

It's incredible.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's Spike Jonz. It's not gonna suck.

Alice in Wonderland is almost guaranteed to suck. It's Tim Burton.