Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I would like to upgrade my Black Mac Pro from the 256GB SSD to a 1TB SSD. But I'd like to order the actual part that Apple uses so the SSD will be fully compatible with boot camp.

I checked OWC but I read their SSD upgrade is not compatible with boot camp.

Is there a place I can order the Apple SSD directly like a replacement part?

itcrashed

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I would like to upgrade my Black Mac Pro from the 256GB SSD to a 1TB SSD. But I'd like to order the actual part that Apple uses so the SSD will be fully compatible with boot camp.

I checked OWC but I read their SSD upgrade is not compatible with boot camp.

Is there a place I can order the Apple SSD directly like a replacement part?

I bought mine from a vendor off ebay , sputnik_systems. http://www.ebay.com/usr/sputnik_systems
They answered all of my questions and were great to work with. They don't currently have any in stock but keep your eyes peeled, they sell them regularly.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Keep in mind that the SSUBX cards are 40-50% faster then the ones that typically shipped in 6,1. As a result they typically sell for more, but they are a genuine upgrade. I've been curious if you buy a 6,1 today if they still include the slower SSUAX version or if they got silently updated.

You may wish to read handheldgames long thread about using these in a PCIE card in cMP. You don't need the PCIE card but everything related to the Apple drives is relevant. Sadly, a petulant child came and took a poo in the thread a couple times and got it closed but the thread was so valuable it got reopened.

Oddly, the SSUBX cards are slightly faster in a cMP then nMP. I was going to carry them but deal fell through.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Keep in mind that the SSUBX cards are 40-50% faster then the ones that typically shipped in 6,1. As a result they typically sell for more, but they are a genuine upgrade. I've been curious if you buy a 6,1 today if they still include the slower SSUAX version or if they got silently updated.

You may wish to read handheldgames long thread about using these in a PCIE card in cMP. You don't need the PCIE card but everything related to the Apple drives is relevant. Sadly, a petulant child came and took a poo in the thread a couple times and got it closed but the thread was so valuable it got reopened.

Oddly, the SSUBX cards are slightly faster in a cMP then nMP. I was going to carry them but deal fell through.

Do you have a link? I googled 1TB SSUBX and I didn't find anything.

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria

UMJD2002

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Chicago, IL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4CUI02

This seller on Amazon, Topprod, lists it every so often. Cheaper than I found it on Ebay ($649 when they list it), is the actual 2013 Mac Pro part (with black heatsink/heat shield attached), and from all indications I could find, is a genuinely new, never used, not pulled from a machine, Apple part specifically for the 2013 Mac Pro.

I purchased from them at the end of 2014 and I couldn't be happier with it. Much better than OWC's overpriced, slow garbage.

He lists a couple every few weeks or so, and they sell fast, so keep your eyes peeled.

Just ordered this last night. Pretty excited to get it! It's very reasonable for new Apple SSD!

UMJD2002

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Chicago, IL
I missed it. You ordered from the Amazon listing? It's show none available. :(

How much did you pay?

I paid $649.00. Apparently he only had one or so because I ordered it last night and when I checked this AM it says unavailable. I paid for overnight shipping but still won't get it until Monday.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Look, all of the three drives you mentioned say SSUBX - thus all are the same, and all are the fastest available.

Pretty steep prices btw, why not take this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Samsu...778092?hash=item1c5bb69aac:g:9~0AAOSwZ1lWetSi

I was't sure if the cheaper one was the same SSD and as fast. Thanks for helping me out.
Look, all of the three drives you mentioned say SSUBX - thus all are the same, and all are the fastest available.

Pretty steep prices btw, why not take this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Samsu...778092?hash=item1c5bb69aac:g:9~0AAOSwZ1lWetSi

Thank you. I appreciate the link.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Reactions: BeatCrazy

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
It seems that the only source for Apple SSDs is used from eBay. Surely an enterprising Authorized Service Provider could offer upgrades? They wouldn't be cheap but would be brand new with warranty.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I'm considering the same upgrade.

Any feedback on how this went for you?

It went very well. I had a very good purchasing experience with the seller. I have no complaints or any issues with the SSD.
[doublepost=1464888319][/doublepost]
It seems that the only source for Apple SSDs is used from eBay. Surely an enterprising Authorized Service Provider could offer upgrades? They wouldn't be cheap but would be brand new with warranty.

My order was brand new. It was not used or a pull from a machine. Check the eBay link I posted.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
My order was brand new. It was not used or a pull from a machine. Check the eBay link I posted.

That's the first that I have seen & the guy's USP is that it's brand new. Maybe there is an enterprising Authorized Service Provider supplying these.

soccerjoe5

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Hi guys! If I want to upgrade the SSD of the nMac, should I get the SSUBX that has a heatsink?

I see SSUBX SSDs with and without the heatsink

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys! If I want to upgrade the SSD of the nMac, should I get the SSUBX that has a heatsink?

I see SSUBX SSDs with and without the heatsink
I would recommend the SSUBX drive. It's an NVMe drive whereas the SSUAX is an AHCI drive. Performance of the SSUBX should be approximately twice that of the SSUAX drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.